Apple VS FBI

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Moose2, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Or those idiots in bed sheets, or the IRA/UDA/UVF, or the Lord's Resistance Army.

2. Hooligans was the only real fans. Now at Premier League there's only a bunch of pussies. Almost as lame as yanks.

3. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all condone violence against certain people. If the former two had more followers that actually did what their book says to do, there would probably be more Christian and Jewish terrorist groups.

Edit: But that's off topic and all :p. I don't know if it's scary or reassuring that the government can't actually hack into an iPhone, but I'm going to go with reassuring. I thought Apple was one of those companies that have info to the government though?

4. Apple can make a one off RAM disk to unlock that one and only individuals phone. It's clearly not about privacy it's only about ARROGANCE And business for Apple as always. Any Iphone hacker who knows anything can do it easy. How do I know this?

5. Ummmmm...... Because it was a Pair of radicalized Muslims who carried out this act of terror in the name of Islam. That's not generalizing. It's actually being very specific.

If I was talking about the guy who grabbed his gun several months ago and blew away a bunch of abortion doctors, I'd probably have labeled that as "Christian terrorism" as his violent act was also motivated by his faith.

6. I have conflicted feelings on this, I believe that we should help the government, but I don't trust our government enough to get them a way to access everyone's phone or Idevice. Apple was saying to give them what they're asking for they would have to write a program and that program would be able to infiltrate every Idevice. I think the government spies on us enough already, and I am really not for court mandated helping of that..

7. I reckon if the next attack happens at Apple HQ they will hand over the keys to the Feds pretty quickly.
    Feds should do a black flag op on them
    Unless...
    Apple are the terrorists 

8. So, the data got erased?

9. +1

10. Only a 4 digit password? Surely the FBI can unlock a 4 digit password? Didn't agents ever play resident evil or Dino crisis? 

11. I don't know how unlocking and searching the phone is any different then something such as the FBI searching your house if you commit a crime.

Personally I think it needs to be done but the issue lies in the method of unlocking the phone and the risk it can be leaked and used for future hacks.

I never had any clue that our stupid little phone passwords were so intense that the FBI actually can't unlock them. Kudos to Apple. However, I still can't believe that the FBI needs them. There must be a way. I'm no computer expert, but can't they just restore the phone and find a way to read the "deleted" data, albeit slightly corrupted? To my own knowledge, when things are "deleted" they are only marked as deleted until overwritten by something else. There are methods to restore deleted data. I can't imagine the reset process of an iPhone wipes and passes over the data multiple times to the point that it is irretrievable.

Also, @moose
    I don't think the labelling as a "Muslim attack" is appropriate or relevant to this story. Just an attack would suffice. Your anti-Islamic bias continually shows.

12. Government is over stepping.

Those who chose Safety over Liberty deserve neither. ~ Benjamin Franklin.

13. I also agree on the racist muslim remark is to much. Calling it a Isis or extremist attack may be a more accurate detail.

14. Political correctness is killing the USA! Things like changing an aircraft **** pit to crew compartment bc it offended some people! America needs to get back to the founding fathers after all that's what made it one of the strongest countries in the world! It's impossible to appease everyone! People get offended so easy these days. So what did it kill you is it harming you no get over it. Regardless of what nationality performed an act of terrorism those people involved need to be held accountable! America is or was called a melting pot now a days and it's current politicians are trying to turn everything into a race thing. Does not matter what nationality you are they are all Americans and those people who prefer to call themselves "and this is just an example" African Americans need to get over it your an American shouldn't matter what color u are.

15. Must have missed that bit, naughty moose

16. Consider for a moment that this was not a personal cell phone. What if the cell was a local government issued phone, wouldn't the local government be allowed to have access to their own property? Besides the public would be all over the Feds if they didn't try everything they could to stop future threats. The fact that Apple caves to stock holders and the bottom dollar is a bit disgusting. In the past cracking phones hasn't been an issue...

17. Ohhh. You iPhone hacker you.

18. Prime, data won't be erased but the encryption key. And without encryption key is like you have no data.

I don't see what's the problem with Moose? I totally dislike him. If Eagle wouldn't exist, Moose would be the lamest mod ever. But! The attackers was radicalized muslims. So "muslim attack" is the proper label. So much politically correctness. Why to stop here? Let's stop the sharks discrimination. No more "Shark attack" titles in media. Not all the sharks are aggressive. A "fish attack" it's more proper.

And Prime if you ever go in the wild and get attacked by a grizzly please be like "help! I'm attacked by a fluffy mamel". Because "I'm being attacked by a bear" would make a panda and a koala to feel discriminated and such.

19. Not all fish and fluffy mammals attack so I would be against this misleading tittle.

The reason why people are starting down the don't call it a Muslim attack is the very act of doing these things is against the beliefs of Islam. So it's like they cross the line and have removed themselves from their faith.

It's being a bit picky but the problem is that you flood the news with muslim attack and what not people who haven't looked into the religion will believe that these few are the voice of many. Which leads to discrimination, the people who get discriminated against rise up to overthrow the people who are doing the discriminating.( history is full of this.)

So not so much about political correctness more adding important contexts to a difficult situations.

I suspect that there will be little in the way of useful information as they would have had enough time to cover up anything linked to this phone.

20. I referenced it because it was referenced in the New York Times as well. Your point is well relieved, however, and in future I will reference these things as such. But, to the larger point, I think the United States government is over stepping its bounds and I hope Apple holds firm on this.
    As mentioned earlier as well, this iPhone isn't the holy grail for finding out what types of connections these killers had to other terror networks. Many others in forum have provided really good sleuthing that the FBI can do to get answers