Space: Man's Next Leap

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Seth, Feb 5, 2016.

1. I watched The Martian recently, and boy was I impressed :p it features Matt Damon as a stranded man on Mars left behind when he was assumed dead in an emergency evacuation during some huge storm. The plot intensifies and he's actually alive and "colonizes" Mars by using his on fecal matter to grow potatoes. Kinda gross but cool nonetheless.

It's got me thinking, I'll probably see man travel to Mars in my lifetime (I'm young :p) and I would be lying if I said I didn't want to go with them 

I read somewhere (not sure where now) that NASA plans on sending some manned missions to Mars by 2035. 20 years from now, we might have Neil Armstrong's grandchildren bouncing around, growing potatoes with their own byproducts :p

The big problem I see is transportation.

In The Martian, the incredible spaceship named The Hermes took them to Mars and orbited around, while they used a modular rocket to transport down to the surface, seeing as landing a space station on the surface of a planet it just about impossible.

The major problem I see with this is the engine power. Maybe ion engines? (Did you know that TIE fighter used in starwars? It incredibly inaccurate using modern physics though.) They would certainly fit the job considering most of the turning would be done via gravity assist.

Who knows? I just want to have my own baggy of Mars dirt and grow some flowers in it or something.

2. Cool story bro

3. I'd love to see people on Mars as soon as possible. Also, a supernova. If Betelguese could blow up, I'd be very happy.

P.S.- Mars dirt is pretty toxic to us.

4. Hated that movie , too long

5. ^Want to watch Lawrence of Arabia with me? Or Cleopatra? Or the Ten Commandments? Or Ben Hur?

6. Very* Noice.

7. ^No. Bad man. Edit that.

8. The EU is working towards asteroid mining projects now.

9. Another manned lunar landing will be first

10. Have you heard of the international group that's actually trying to send people there for an initial colonization attempt?

11. Dont understand why mankind are so interested in exploring space when there are better way to use the funds for example cancer research or various other things that actually benefit a whole lot of us

12. I want some space poo potatoes

13. Ewww.

14. Cancer "research" isn't really a thing. They make too much money off of the treatment. There's a good chance there's a cure but it's kept out of public knowledge.

15. Cancer research isn't a money problem.. It's time and trial and error.

16. Most countries have free healthcare... It costs most countries a lot of money to treat cancer. We would know if there was a cure.

Stop believing everything you read and do some real research yourself you numpty.

17. You say sumn?

18. Cancer research is just an example tbh
    We could use the funds for many other better things other than fuel our curiousity but sorry for using a crap example my point wasnt on that

19. You wouldn't need much engine power once your up there. Only really need it for adjusting course or slowing/speeding up. Newtons law and space itself will make us go in the same constant speed forever unless something or gravity was to pull us off. Say once we got up there and shot the engines to about 1000mph in one direction we would go 1000mph forever and ever in that direction unless some force pulled us off course or slowed us down

20. Nothing is impossible. To land a space station is a very tedious task yes but that's also because we dont have the technology etc to pull off such a task. It's very very possible to do such a thing though