deactivated Facebook

Discussion in 'Other KaW Discussion' started by SkinnyMinny, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Hello. 2 days ago I moved all my fb pics to my camera roll and deactivated my face book account.

I've had fb since 2007. Which was right at the start for my country.

I felt that it had become a little dehumanising. And definitely narcissistic.

Posting something then checking to see the likes and the comments. Then checking again. And of course again

Posting a status update to a bunch of mostly strangers instead of phoning a friend instead.

Checking Facebook before going to sleep and then first thing in the morning.

Who are those people ? Over 400 friends and about 20 I really mix with and know or care about . It all suddenly seemed quite sad and pathetic.

It wasn't easy to jump off that grid for me, which was all the more reason to deactivate it.

Anyway. There is an odd feeling of freedom from it. There really is.

On the downside you can't use tinder. Tinder only allows you to have a profile from your Facebook account. I guess meeting people the old fashioned will have to once again become vogue.

Just kaw to go then I guess, and suddenly there will be a huge surplus of time added to my days and weeks.

I suppose there would be many here who would be probably young enough to not even remember a time before social media existed.

2. At 20 I was growing up as social media started coming in. I removed most people off my Facebook a few months back and kept only those I speak to on a regular basis. Removing Facebook has too many flaws for me.

3. You were the one obsessing about who liked your crap. You might find more peace removing those friend you don't talk with, and stop giving two shits about your fan base.

4. Which is exactly a perfect reason to be rid of it. Posting crap and obsessing. I'm sure it's quite a common theme for a lot of people. That's why I wrote this op. I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds fb can be toxic in some respects

5. Yep deleted that crap about a year ago feel much better for it 

6. I still have my Facebook but never use it. Only reason I get on it is when my girlfriend bugs me to like the picture of her horse she uploaded... and to link games/apps to my phone.

7. Congratulations! :)

8. What is this Facebook?

Truth be told, I never had a facebook.. always seemed like it was for the chicks anyway.. And look, I am right

Seriously doe, good for you, I'm sure you have some difficult times ahead..

Chin-up

9.  just like I've been saying for years now ...no RL

10. Skinny has friends? Do they drop build too?

11. This sounds exactly, word for word, like a news story I saw a week back. Hmmmmm.....

12. Yeah, if Facebook is such a problem in your life you have done right by deleting it 

Maybe you should worry about yourself, life is way more then Facebook or any other social media. It's only virtual, don't make another life out of it.

Goodluck

13.  to all reading apply this to KAW too

14. I had FB for about 1 month a few years ago and I felt like an idiot liking stuff. In less than 30 days I had friended everyone I had ever met in my life and gone through blocking them all bc their posts were annoying me. So I deleted everything and deactivated my acct. if there was a dislike thumb, I may still have FB.

15. Never had a Facebook account... Only one of my RL peers to not have it... The only thing I hear is bad... I suppose it wouldn't be terrible to have one for my business but I still get plenty of work without it

16. If it was detrimental to you then good job on ridding of it.

I personally miss old school Facebook when it first came out. It was a college student exclusive party scheduler pretty much. Needed a verifiable college email account with some other stuff to sign up and from there on it was just people at all local colleges posting public party info for people to crash. Then a year or two later it went public and since then it's become some hybrid of what MySpace and Live Journal used to be (both of which I avoided).

Either way only reason I keep it is because I've lived a very random life and have very good and close friends all around the world so it's just easier for me to keep in touch with them there.

That and I get to force everyone to listen to my epic playlists (was a radio DJ for a few years and people still follow me for that too).

It also helps me just because I am horrible at keeping in touch with people. :lol:

I know many people who have deleted it though due to feeling it as a necessary thing to constantly be on.

17. I tell this to all the trashy people who think Olive Garden is fancy Italian food.

18. You used tinder? Did you like my profile?