Custom Knife Making

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by _NANOC_, Sep 4, 2015.

1. About Steel - Steel is an alloy -that is a melding of two or more different ingredients. And in the case of tool steel it is a combination of Iron and Carbon. Pure Iron, also known as "Wrought Iron" is no good for knife making because it is very soft and very brittle. But, when we add a certain amount of carbon to the Iron it becomes much stronger and much tougher! So, Steel is a combination of Iron and Carbon. And the big thing to know here is that the amount of carbon that is added to the steel makes a big difference!
    Just a small amount of carbon is added and the strength of the steel is significantly improved and this continues up to about .65% of added carbon where maximum strength is achieved. Adding more carbon does continue to improve the wearability and durability of the steel all the way up to around 1.5% carbon added.
    So this adding of carbon to the steel in this range creates something typically called plain carbon steels and blacksmiths will work within this range of about .4% to 1.5%.

2. Top of the Line?

If you are looking to make the best knives that really hold their edge and are very tough this is probably your best bet. But this stuff is a challenge to work with and is expensive. This type of steel is not for beginners!
    154CM Tool Steel - This is a very strong steel that has great corrosion resistance and good edge holding power. This is achieved by replacing some of the Chromium content with molybdenum. It has 1.05% carbon, 14% Chromium and 4% Molybdenum along with small amounts of Manganese and Silicon.
    There are quite a few grades of steel that are used by knifemakers and some others that I haven't mentioned are W2, W3, 02, 06, D1, L2 and L6.

3. Nice insight

4. I think he only meant "junk" metal in the context of its application.

Good steal, once properly sharpened, can hold its edge after taking a beating. A few passes on a good stone and passed across leather, its good to go without removing much metal.

Ball bearings, coil over springs(struts) are at the high end.

5. Mmmhh... I love knives! Solid 1 piece, or a spring assist... depending on where I am lol... can't wit to see pics..

6. What I meant by "junk" metal was that the railroad spike is made of low quality iron. I noticed my spike knife started getting rust pits and started flaking off after a few months.

There are good Carbon Steel knives, and there are good Stainless Steel knives. Carbon knives need a lot more care, they will stain and they will rust if not properly cared for, such as keeping them clean and oiled. They also can be much sharper than a stainless blade, but not as durable, meaning you have to sharpen them more often, and take care in handling. Stainless blades are extremely durable, they dont stain, and they hold a sharp edge longer. This means less maintenance for a stainless blade.

7. I built a coal forge about a month ago, I have a vice a forge a small railroad anvil and an assortment of hammers and vice grips/ pliers for tongs until I can make some. Its awesome that even on a game you can find people who like doing things so traditional, most people now look at that as to much work but seeing something you made in all its glory really picks your spirits up.

8. I bought some IFB (insulating fire brick) & a propane torch from har or Frieghts. Generally used for torching grass. Works perfect and heats up to the temperature I need it to

9. [​IMG]

This was just sat together for a picture. I've built a stand for it now and another stand to hold my torch.

10. [​IMG]

And a few sketches I drew up today. Haven't decided which I like most. One I decide on I will most likely make.

12. I have to say I do agree. My first thought is the third one down as well Zero.

And I even thought the same thing and adjusted the tang higher up. I just already had this picture before I had corrected it in my sketch.

13. Like for left handed people?

14. I'm not following? Is what for left handed people?

15. Anyone got any pictures of their favorite knives?

16. ...who we shankin'?

17. I suppose it depends. Could be someone in self defense. Could be shanking a deer while field dressing it.

18. Looking good man. I like traditional or earth tone colors on micarta. But that is pretty dern awesome for first go.

19. AC hidden blade ftw

20. ...was thinkin' mo like a prison shankin' 