"Locking for lack of effort"

Discussion in 'Ideas + Feature Requests' started by RDV-1992, Oct 20, 2015.

1. I actually prefer threads that DON'T use images or gifs. Why should I have to download that stuff? They are mostly worthless. I wish KAW would give you a choice of whether or not to view images in forums.

2. Effort does not equal to images.

3. You don't need images or gifs for a thread for it to be effort lol

4. Try typing on your phone 10 BB codes just for one paragraph lol

5. Bbcodes dont make a thread good, they just make it slightly more appeasing to the eyes.

Plebs that need bbcodes to claim that their thread is good should just not even post IMO. (Hence why i dont post) (jk)

6. Lock for lack of effort is dumb. You can start a good debate with one sentence

7. A real lack of effort thread is a thread that has very very little meaning, basically when people post like "boo" or something.

Or if they just go

"Im against gun control discuss"

They're examples of a lack of effort because they dont have any explanation at all and unless constructive posts are posted afterwords that arent just post count spam or people saying "inb4 lock" (arguably the same thing) then these lack of effort threads will be locked immediately.

8. Never said they made it good but shows u put effort into it lol

9. Absolutely true!

10. Bb codes do not take effort. It's a slight bit of extra typing but it takes no mental strength whatsoever.

11. Moose - then what does it equal? Is it bb codes? Is it a wall of text? What is it?

12. Effort can only be based off of the quality of the thread. Have they considered every angle to their relevant points, how much time has it taken them to make it, is it well structured, does it make sense etc

13. I exerted effort to type this

14. Tell that to Eagle.

15. There is a minimum standard that exists in forum. That minimum standard is applied by the moderators, and support exists to mediate any differences in opinion between the player base and the moderation team.

If you vomit up a thread with one or two words it sentences, it's spammy and will be locked because, if the OP doesn't give a damn, why should anyone else?

Asking for a precice definition of "what is enough effort" is not possible, as keeping forum clean requires subjective judgement calls. Again, if you're displeased with he moderators decision, support can review uour complaint and make a final ruling.

Consider this.....
    If you have shown you don't care about your thread
    Or
    Your thread sucks
    Or
    Your thread does next to nothing to enhance the experience of other forummers here, it's getting a lock.

Finally, for those who are wondering about how the system works, the public ensures it does. One kid who gripes about his craptastic thread getting locked won't go anywhere, but if moderators start making judgement calls that go against the will of the community at large, the community will object en masse and we would be innefective.

Generally, when I lock low effort threads, the only people who gripe are the people who enjoy littering the forums with trash, and the majority of the community understands that.

16. It doesn't exactly take mental effort but it does take a good amount of time and extra work for them to work right

17. Only bbcodes that take effort are threads with too many bbcodes to be honest

18. No effort thread: just asking a question

Good thread: background as to what drew you to ask the question. No pictures needed.

Make a thread thought provoking, something helpful beyond a simple do this or do that. Using reasoning, mild complexity, engage the community, help them understand your perspective.

That's just my two cents.

19. Sometimes people have some good legitimate good ideas or concerns and they lack the aptitude to use bbs and pics.