Need something to read

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FizzyLiftingDrink, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Half my list. I would also reccomend Kurt Vonnegut's "Welcome to the Monkey House" (and almost anything else by him, such as "Bluebeard" or Sirens of Titan").
    Ender's Game is a well written strategy style book. If you really want to dig into a book that will bring you through the underside of history, "Focault's Pendulum" by Umberto Echo.

2. If you read and like Animal Farm then props to you.

My book recommendation is Anthem by Ayn Rand.

"Anthem is a dystopian fiction novella by Ayn Rand, written in 1937 and first published in 1938 in England. It takes place at some unspecified future date when mankind has entered another dark age." -Wiki, because I'm too tired to think about it

3. Usually when people think of George Orwell, they go straight to "1984" (another great read), but Animal Farm is a beautifully written allegory.

4. Also, as many have already said, The Inheritance Cycle is an amazing read with expert storytelling and great character development.

5. Hyena

By Jude Angelini

6. Ok, I have to say it - Agatha Christie mysteries are wonderful. They are less about the crime logistics, as most detective stories are, and far more about the characters. "Mystery on the Orient Express" "And then there were none" and "the Murder of Roger Ackroyd." Do not wiki them beforehand. You will only ruin it for yourself.

7. The Mortal Instruments
    First book is called City of Bones.
    Amazing series. I highly recommend it.

8. Walking on eggshells 

9. Anything by James Herbert

10. The alchemist by Paulo coelho

11. 50 shades of grey

12. If your interested in history and stuff check out "Guns, Germs and Steel". It's a good read.

13. The Bible

14. David Gemmell's Troy trilogy is well worth a read.
    As are
    Bernard Cornwell's The Winter King trilogy
    And most books by Conn Iggulden

15. Read: Everything is Illuminated

16. Action: Deception Point - Dan Brown (his best book)
    Fantasy: The Edge Chronicles - Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell (a trio of trilogies, all worth reading!)
    Magic: The magicians guild, The novice and The high Lord trilogy - Trudi Canavan (amazing detail given and a female protagonist makes it slightly different from other books of this genre. Truly a great read, all three)

These are books I find to be page turners.
    The edge chronicles do need a bit of work but they have amazing ideas and really do get your imagination going at full pelt.
    Deception point is a very scientific action book so if at all interested in that then you'll love the science, if not then it still keeps you on your toes with politics, action, adventure etc.
    The Magicians Guild trilogy has so many plot twists and curveballs you are left wondering how on earth you got to each point, but it's well written with immense detail and the twists really are worth every single "bloody hell" that you'll exclaim in your head.

Hope that helps :) if anyone wishes to discuss any of these books with me then I am always happy to, I find these books continue to entertain me after many readings and would love to chat about them with others :)

17. A child called it...i would read that book again

18. Pantheism - It's Story and Significance. 1914
    By J.Allanson Picton Author of The Religion of the Universe and The Mystery of Matter.

Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden
    The Conqueror Series.
    A unique series about the true story of Genghis Khan. Exert ;
    "The young boy abandon without a tribe on a harsh Mongolian plains faces almost certain death. Hunted alone, he dreamed first of revenge against his enemies. In time, he would unite..."
    Youll have a whole new view of Genghis Khan.

19. Mentioned already on page 4. Gotta learn to read threads, mate.

20. If you like fantasy or at least love logic and math like I do then you'll love The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelanzy. It's my all time favorite book.

On the other hand the most recent series that has blown me away is "The Name of the Wind". Especially the second book entitled "A Wise Man's Fear"