School

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cow, Sep 30, 2015.

1. @Majoras

Aah another quote of Ops.
    When will u learn?

2. Making you plug in numbers to memorized formulas teaches hard work and discipline? Can you please explain how memorizing things and brain dumping after the test helps in any way?

3. It doesn't. When a society does things a certain way long enough, anything different is unimaginable.

4. The school system does kinda suck but whatevs

5. What in the world is calculus

6. Haha I'm ok with school, but California education codes are more than a little over the top.

7. It's advanced math

8. I don't know, I had to know the alphabet forwards and backwards, count to 100 forwards and backwards, and know how to read and write just to get into the preschool, so school didn't teach me that.

So, yes, my opinion is biased because that is the only lifestyle that I have had.

9. My mom taught me how to read and write and learn... Why do I even go to school? Amirite?

10. No, school teaches you obedience, mental discipline, and how to work under pressure. Those things are required to be successful. I'm not saying you shouldn't go to school, I'm saying that school has false advertising, it's not making you smarter, it's teaching you how to follow directions. Intelligence should not be measured by how well you can memorise formulas and words, it should be measured by how much you can figure out yourself.

11. I was mostly joking, but being homeschooled teaches you most of those thing well, sometimes better depending upon the capability of your parent. I switched from being homeschooled to going to school freshmen year of highschool and I went into highschool with a large advantage over most of the other kids. Additionally, I have a friend who came in from homeschooling sophomore year and he is probably competing for one of the top spots in my class.

I am not saying some form of school system is not necessary, but the one we currently have is lacking in some aspects.

Idk maybe I am crazy and stupid or something

12. Indeed I can. Memorizing is something that you gain with time, such as learning a language. If you speak the language enough and do so doggedly, you will become proficient in it. If you repeatedly memorize "things", you will gain proficiency in the skill of memorization. Hard work can only be taught if you are actually willing to learn, which you are not. Discipline is likewise to my former point but should be aided by your teachers through strictness. If you cannot survive school and complain this much you clearly have no motivation to progress yourself.

13. I almost read all the pages of comments, but then realized I didn't care enough.

Free education high school offers is something kids take for granted. Who cares if you'll never use it?
    Take those science, math, and english classes with a grain of salt.

When you start paying tuition, then you deserve to pick your classes.

EDIT: And TKAM was a fantastic read by the way. Haven't read Harper Lee's latest yet however

14. School teaches you why you should kill yourself, kill others, get drunk, and bully other people. All important life skills... Cheating is also a good skill to have

15. Bruh welcome to the high school way of life. Just wait til Junior year. I've been p.o.'d all year thus far XD

16. Read TKM last year in English II. I liked it pretty well lol

17. My high school required less and less as you advanced. By 12th grade you only had to take English.

But throughout the whole career you had to take 3 maths, 1 gym, 1 art, 1 history, 1 geography, 1 French, 2 science

What is wrong with being well rounded?

18. Ok how bout this. In health class we learn about a drug called Molly. We watched an "educational video" that told us all the positives of Molly. How it can improve partying, make you happy, and even make you more sociable. The majority of it was talking to Molly dealers and how they disliked the fact more Molly dealers were popping up because it took away business. The ONLY negative thing they said was that when you were off Molly you couldn't be as happy as usual before Molly. Wow. Great education 10/10.

19. I understand your pain, we only ever need algebra 1 as the farthest math we would need, history I'm ok with but only because we learn from te pasts mistakes, biology is ok cause it's better to know how things work and solve problems, English class is flawed since te only real thing were learning is how to write essays, an whole it's a good thing to learn it does NOT. Necessarily pertain to out career,