Custom Knife Making

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by _NANOC_, Sep 4, 2015.

1. As the title leads you to believe, yup this is about knife making.

I plan to start up in the next few weeks towards my goal of knife making. I still have to build a custom work bench due to space restrictions. Also I have to build my forge for heat treating. Will be making a propane gas forge.

I will not be heating metal and beating it in to shape. My knives will be made from bar stock.

I have been watching multiple videos of all types of knives being made. I been told I inherited my grandfathers carpenter skills so I feel confident I can handle the task ahead.

I have a general direction I plan to start from along with tools I will need.

I know people from KaW come from all over. They also have different trades or hobbies.

So anyone wanting to discuss knives or give any tips. I'm open for discussion.

If you made it this far reading I apologize for bad grammar. Also for no BB codes, I no clue how to do those.

Discuss away!

2. Also thanks for reading.

3. Sounds great, knife making is a fun trade. Drop some pics and prices soon!

4. I will have to figure out how to upload pictures but when o get to that point I would love to show off my work.

I can tell you so far I have sketched a few knife designs and made a couple wooden prototypes.

Good thing doing this. Because the one I loved on paper I didn't like when I had it in my hand. The one I disliked the most I ended up really liking the feel of it in my hand.

5. I havent tried to make a forge yet, but i have seen some super easy ones that look promising. At least for medium sized knives.

Coil springs from an old car are a great resource too.

Also, you might like to look up "pvc knife seeths(?)". Very easy, and after paint look sleek.

6. Love using the leaf spring (think that's what it's called?)

7. I have seen the pvc sheeth. But will try my hand at kydex sheeths as well.

8. Those work to i believe. The coil springs are the ones that you see around your front shocks.

Even if you're not shaping/hammering the metal, its still a good source of quality metal.

9. Try inject molding :lol:

10. I've always wanted to have a custom knife collection.

11. I have a Ka-Bar USMC Combat knife that I customized a bit. Engraved the blade. The Ka-Bar's are damn good knives.

12. it's quite simple. just get the picture on your phone, then go to a site like imgur and upload it there. it should give you a link for that picture. simply paste that picture in forums.

[ imgfit] link goes here [/imgfit]

13. Ka-Bars are great. My grandpa gave me his dad's old USMC one, and I have a special edition that I don't use, but it's sexy as hell

14. They are the height of bad ass.

15. Thanks for the I for. I will keep that handy

16. Look in off topic, first thread is a great BBCode guide

17. Sounds like fun! I hope your knives turn out great

18. Well o hope none of knives turn out to be bloody.. Haha

Unless of course saving a life or for use in hunting/gutting an animal

19. I'd support you with a discounted purchase.

20. Well AJ I imagine starting out making knives I won't charge near as much as I should because I would want to get my knives in people's hands and gain business.
    I see these people who make custom knives and feel they charge a little much for their time but I may sing a different tune after putting in the hours required to make a beautiful as knife as I seen some of them do.