Freedom of Speech on kaw

Discussion in 'Other KaW Discussion' started by XxXbatdogXxX, Aug 21, 2015.

1. This has been a very hot topic. "Why am I getting silenced? "Chat filters are ridiculous!" With that stated, I'd like to have a open discussion on why or why not the filters should be removed.

To address the biggest point "This is a rated 7+ game".

Yes, the rating is 7+ however how many players are actually under the age of teenagers? Any public school you go to you will hear the same language or worse than in kaw.

"I have children that play this game & I do not appreciate them being exposed to such vulgarity".

Understandable, however who is truly at fault? People for exercising there point in a manner that may be deemed inappropriate in poliete society, or the parents buying there under the age of 18 child a smart phone or CPU? At what point do we sit back & say "I should have not allowed my child to be on such a app?"

I personally blame parents as much as much as the offender here. You wouldn't bring a child to a bar right? Blaming everyone else because you lack the control to stop them from the exposure of negative influences is ridiculous.

Consider this, having alcohol in your home with children is not a crime. You want them to stay away from it? Lock it up! Do not blame children for doing the samething you do without taking responsibility for not properly securing the thing they are not to have.

2. The part where you talk about parents giving kids phones under 18 is a little exaggerated. Nothing wrong with giving it to a kid, maybe 13, who's playing sports for his school and would need to call his parents to pick him up. I personally pay for my own phone, my parents just bought it initially. I don't see anything wrong with giving a smartphone to a kid 13 . Now a 8 year old? That's a different story.

3. That's understandable cow, the point if that statement was that if you allow a child under 18 freedom of a smart phone. Be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions. I agree, if I can afford it I should be able to own it.

However, its still the parents final decision on if the child in question should be allowed to do that.

4. You abide by the devs rules, because you had the laws of the TOU.

Think of KaW as another country. The Devs own it, and you have to obey their rules.

5. Not so much about the Tou rules, while you are correct the rules were targeted at a 7+ crowd & its easily disputable that majority of players here are well over the age of 7

6. What percentage of active money spending kawers are 7-12? Why not bump it to 13 ?

7. I personally say 17+, this stops the issue of "7+ rating" while putting more pressure on the parents to act like the parents they should be.

8. i personally think that devs put the filter in place to prevent a nasty swearing environment. For any age group it would be better.

9. Tbh, they haven't done anything wrong. You're aware that children are being given homework that requires computers at age 9-10 right?

Do you think children shouldn't e allowed any freedom?

Would I like one of my kids on a game like this? No.. Not until atleast 14-15.

Is there a way I can prevent it without impeding on their freedom? No.. Not really.

It's not really relevant if they hear that language at school, it's not appropriate and not needed (at all) the filters are also there to cut out as much 'adult' talk as possible.

Don't like it? Kinda tough :)

10. Another parent not taking responsibility,as a, parent is is your responsibility to care for a child until 18. If that means stepping on a few toes by putting a filter on the CPU they use at home (Schools do it) or on there smart phone they yes by all means be the villan. It us very relavent if they are exposed to it at all!

I'm not saying put your child in home school, just accept the fact that they are exposed to the langue already. Instead of raging because they see it in a game. That's oxymoronic to say "Its ok in school but not in a social game"

While I personally do not like the filter, this threads no effort to get rid of it. Just a topic of debate & discussion.

11. There is a filter on my router tyvm, before you finish getting up on your high horse I should tell you that part of being a parent is teaching responsibility and giving the freedom for them to grow into their own personalities.

If I wanted a pet, I'd buy one. My children are happy, extremely healthy and confident.

12. support.

13. Allowing them freedom to explore is a great thing, just not at the expense of another's freedom. Great on you if your router has a filter, you are doing your job well. I'm not saying allow a young child to do things they should not be doing anymore than telling your 15-17yr old teenager they can not express themselves appropriately.

Just do not blame others when the decision to allow your children to be exposed to inappropriate content starts at home with you.

14. To go firmly back on topic;

Removed: majority (but NOT all) of players are over the age of 16, it's inconvenient and doesn't really need to be used in a clan, if a clans admins don't like the chat, there's a kick button.

Not removed: it protects the younger players, it's not really nice to see in wc, id rather not log on to a wall full of profanity

15. Yes a wall of profanity is a eye sore agreed, however personally responsibility dictates if you do not approve of the language then stay away from it. Now there are plenty if occasions swearing is negative. Now take into mind it can also be a nonnegative thing as well.

I enjoy a good off colored joke as much ad the next one inline. There is nothing wrong with it. As long as the privelage is not abused.

16. I agree there, unfortunately there isn't anywhere near enough mods to moderate that.

Maybe adding 1-2h silences to admins powers would be a workable solution

Edit: however I would leave wc as it is

17. Mods are a over & under rated position. They would haft to make a valid judgment call as to what is abusing the system & not. I've posted a off color joke & bypassed without being silenced on the grounds of it was in good taste & was not a constant wall of swearing.

18. Op, your freedom of speech doesn't grant you the right to publicly speak using profanity.

There are limits to how you exercise this right.

19. The rating is 9 Plus.

20. for once, I actually variably agree with u to an extent bd. this is Not a 7+ rated game, or not by usual standards. Im ok with the filter myself, however I wouldn't have even an 11 yo playin this game. there is cruelty in this game at times, verging on cyber bully. for kids, thats rough. I just say keep filter and bump up min age. signing off