WC Debate: Do Violent Video Games Make Kids More Violent?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by greatkingfrank, May 20, 2015.

1. Cool. Thx man.

2. Violent video games have little impact. If video games influenced us, why don't we have people running around in a dark room listening to techno music munching on pills while being chased by "ghosts?"
    I grew up with violent video games (mostly because almost all video games are violent, in some way. I broke someone's leg in a game of Madden I played, and I hate sports games :lol:)

Now, you can get mad and violent BECAUSE of a game, such as being frustrated or pissed off that you don't have the absolute perfection (or because that other player spends way too much times quick scoping and is God-like at it), but the fact that you shoot people (and are above the age of... Seven) doesn't make you want to shoot people, unless you've a mental tendency to gain ecstasy out of the people dying and want to see it in first hand, but then that's a different debate on whether video games make SANE people violent, ones that can logically conclude right from wrong, real from fake.

Now if you don't mind, I'm off to kill zombies with a broadsword made from beings that eat rocks.

3. Agree 100%!!!!

4. I killed my first man when I was 11 years old.

5. This thread seems hypocritical. KaW is pretty violent natured game. Even if it isn't visually violent.

People sit on here tapping buttons all day everyday for months on end. Attacking others, using subversive tactics. Draining accounts of their wealth in a aggressive nature.

I have seen how KaW can change a man. It isn't pretty.

People have been known to band together and attack the weak. They attack people for saying things they don't like. For political reasons. For money. The list goes on and on. KaW is as violent as Grand Theft Auto.

6. Don't forget that Bugs Bunny and Road Runner cartoons were pulled due to its excessive violence.
    The only things these items are are scapegoats.
    Scapegoats for messed up society that can't take responsibility for its actions.
    A society that will cheat in a game that means absolutely nothing in real life, but they need to feel like they are #WINNING.

7. Violent video game don't make me violent, people complaining about violent video games make me violent. Much violence, very anger, wow.

8. All I can say is I've played a lot of Rollercoaster Tycoon, but the idea of trying to open a theme park never crossed my mind once. Computer games are a form of escapism rather than practice for reality. If people can't tell the difference they are the ones we should be concentrating on, rather than the people making a living providing entertainment for the rest of us. As with the biker thread yesterday, it is the 1%ers.

9. Admit it. Those who are hooked to the computer or mobile devices all day, aren't mentally healthy. Especially if it is your entertainment. People spend more time on here then interacting in the real world.

If console and PC only games are harmful. So are mobile games that people can't put down. The first signs are when you start paying for pixels. It doesn't matter if you have the money. You are still paying for pixels. Then you need to sit on here all day protecting those pixels.

Look how the long term players act. This is serious to them. It's not just a game. It's a lifestyle.

I'm not saying supporting the game is a bad thing. Bills do need paid.

Throwing stones in your glass house.

I'm pretty sure I remember stories of people neglecting their children and losing jobs playing this game. Lol. I can't confirm those stories for obvious reasons, but some of you know what I'm taking about.

10. Hydra, don't be a hypocrite. You play KaW, you're most likely checking it once an hour at the minimum.

11. I'm gonna bump this because I'm really interested in this debate and I want more people to see this so bump.

12. Video Games do not make kids more violent, just like how guns do not kill people and spoons do not make people fat.

13. I play Grand Theft Auto, and I am not violent in any way. I've not seen any boy in my school who plays COTD or any other game and is violent. My close friend (girl) plays violent videogames and is not violent, and so does my sister. I've yet to see evidence on how games make more kids violent.

14. That's my point. I wish people would put arguments against video games. I want to hear everyone's opinion, y'know?

15. Does the fact that if anyone gets near my phone with kaw on it i want to stab their hand with a fork make me violent from video games?

16. Would you do the same for your kid? If so. No, by my standards 

17. Do you act upon those impulses?

18. that just makes you an idiot, why would you want to do that if they dont even touch your phone? and they dont even know that you have kaw. im pretty sure they arent thinking "im going to get his phone, unlock it, and then play kaw"

19. Ever hear of a joke? Silly little cat. You meow alot

20. Here is an argument against video games;

From my personal experience, when we let our son watch tv or play nintendo, even if not a violent show or game, he became insane. It is all he wanted to do, and when he didnt get to play games or watch tv, he became very emotional. Crying, screaming, flailing etc.

Fast forwards to today, we do not let him watch more than 30 minutes of television a day, and no more video games. He no longer begs for it, no longer becomes emotionally aggravated. He is much better to be around and listens a lot better.

While i cannot say for certain video games make children more violent, it certainly makes them easier to agitate, and a lot more grumpy