Hung's Cuisine Extraordinaire - Episode 1

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hungrier, Mar 28, 2015.

1. In today's episode of Hung's Cuisine Extraordinaire, we learn to make a ricy (that'a a word) side dish that works exceptionally well with meat, chickin, veggies and fish. Or you can enjoy it as it is, too!

Ingredients:

- Rice, basmati and jasmine are my favourites, but it works with any
    - Chickin stock! The basis of any food. Who doesn't love some chickin, right?
    - Mushrooms! Button shrooms work, but one should stroll around the local woods and find the good ones. If unsure what to pick, you can find many good books about the topic. Forest shrooms are the gourmand's choice. Chantarelles, boletes, all are just beautiful!
    - Butter, a staple of a proper diet for every person living in the western society
    - Cream, whole, good for you, I think..
    - (Optional) Veggies!1 Zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper, onion, garlic, even carrot (though it gives you ass cancer). Here you can experiment
    - Spices - salt, pepper.
    - A large kettle with a lid
    - Good company
    - Good music
    - Good drink.

Use a cheese grater to grate the mushrooms into quite tiny slices. You can use a knife too. Really. Chop the optional onions, garlic and other veggies into thinnish slices or tiny bits.

Put the kettle on the stove, full heat. Throw in a big lump of butter. If you're concerned about cholesterol, replace half of the butter with olive oil. Let the lard heat up for a moment so that it's sizzling a bit.

Throw in the mushrooms and the optional veggies. Sauté them until they begin to get some colour. Not too much though! I suggest to smell it at this point and it's not wrong to taste it either. Spice with salt if needed and pepper to your taste.

Add the rice and chickin stock. 2,5 cups of chicken stock for every cup of rice. A 2 dl cup will feed a person. Please don't ask. I'm not going to translate that into american, myanmarian or liberian. Maybe add a bit more for big, hungry men and teenagers. If you have oodles of veggies, be careful with the chicken stock. The veggies will release water as they cook. You can always add more if it looks dry. If you want to get really fancy, try replacing some of the chicken stock with white wine!

Bring the whole mess to a boil and turn the stove down so the pot barely simmers. Put the lid on. Let it slowly cook until the rice is soft and tender. Add some cream little at a time so that you have the consistency you're looking for. The rice should be soft and creamy, but not soggy. Here you get another chance to try to be like Heston! Add some blue cheese! Not much, just drops. Let them melt and have a taste.

This side dish works very well with pretty much anything. Dead animals, fish, vegetables. You can even eat it straight from the pot! Especially good with chickin and other dead animals charred on hot embers. I think it's called Barbiequeing.

On the next episode of Hung's Cuisine Extraordinaire, we'll. Um.. We'll think of some other cool dishes to impress your friends and family and pets with! Maybe creamy garlic spuds or delicious tomato and chickin sauce for pasta! Or perhaps.. chickin! I like chicken! Requests are welcome too.

Bon appétit!

2. I have a pathological fear of mushrooms. Does it need mushrooms?

3. I find great shrooms in my cow paddocks. o_O not sure if they would work in ur recipe tho...

4. O.O ..... I thought it was something then it was actually a cooking thread...

5. You don't need to add the mushrooms, the dish doesn't really need it. But I thought I'd add it to the dish just because I love them. :)

Veggies work well as long as you don't put too much in. The delicious rice is the key, after all.

But I really think that people who fear musrhooms have been fed some bad-quality canned ones. When you get them fresh, or even better pick them fresh, they are absolutely fantastic in my own opinion.

POST SCRIPTUM: I'm extremely drunk and slightly bleeding! Also try adding little parmegiano. That way you'll be quite close to a classic dish of "Risotto ai funghi porcini", or mushroom risotto.

6. Actually, it comes from a deep-seated fear of poison. I always fear that the mushrooms will be poisonous.

7. Oh, I understand. And that is a reasonable fear too. That's why I almost insist a good book about mushrooms. Here in Finland we don't have many extremely poisonous ones and I've been taught from a child what they look like.

The thumb of rule is to never pick the ones you can't identify with a 100% confidence. And only pick the ones that you do recognise with a 100% confidence.

That being said, all boletes are edible, though not all of them taste good. But they are the easiest to identify and a good place to start learning. Chantarelles I think are very difficult to mix with anything poisonous, so they are the next step. And when you find and identify more, you'll learn fast.

And when you get to picking fresh stuff, you'll open a whole new area of flavour. All of the mushrooms taste good just fried in butter with some salt on them. Most can go as they are to salads, pastas. You can use them almost as a spice on any food. Cheese and mushrom burger, oh boy. Might be a topic for a whole episode.

But I have to insist, make sure you know what you're picking and eating. Do the research, make sure there isn't a poisonous one that looks the same. Don't take risks. But it's not rocket science, really. You don't have to be afraid of it, just mindful about it. If someone can do it, why couldn't I? Right?

8. I don't have good company can I still make the dish. I'll be leaving the mushrooms out as I am allergic to them. Plz answer I'm curious to try and I look forward to seeing more threads in the future

9. What kind of shrooms are we talking about?

10. Which website is this from?

11. would Portobello mushrooms be fine?

12. Sounds like a veggie risotto to me 

13. Yes you can cook shrooms and still trip

14. Yep. Although the steps need to be fixed up some.

15. Great recipe thanks :)

16. Yum yum yum!! Get in my belly 

17. Thank you everyone for kind replies. I try my best to answer all the relevant questions. Also if you guys have any ideas for the future episodes that you'd like to see, don't hesitate to express yourselves! I'll do my best to cover them.

Bon appétit!

18. Support

19. It pretty much is that. Just made in a slightly different way. And risotto has slightly different rice in it too.