Should the drinking age be lowered?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Devouring, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Rumors been spreading that the drinking age will be lowered in the United States. President Obama signs amendment to lower the legal drinking age To 18. It'll be Effective 6/4/2015.

[​IMG]

PRO lowering drinking age:
    CON lowering drinking age:

"Lowering MLDA from 21 to 18 would diminish the thrill of breaking the law to get a drink. Normalizing alcohol consumption as something done responsibly in moderation will make drinking alcohol less of a taboo for young adults entering college and the workforce."

"MLDA 21 should not be lowered to mirror European drinking age limits because the rate of drinking among US teenagers is lower than most European countries. US teenagers also show equal or lower rates of intoxication/binge drinking than do adolescents from most European countries, and most European countries report higher rates of intoxication and binge drinking for youth under 13."

"Lowering MLDA 21 would be good for the economy. More people would legally be able to drink in bars, restaurants, and other licensed establishments. Revenue would increase for private business owners, and greater amounts of tax revenue would be collected by the government."

"Lowering the drinking age will invite more use of illicit drugs among 18-21 year olds. A peer-reviewed study from the Journal of Studies of Alcohol and Drugs found that the younger a person begins to drink alcohol the more likely it is that they will use other illicit drugs. Lowering MLDA 21 would increase the number of teens who drink and therefore the number of teens who use other drugs."

Here for more information.

So, where do you stand? Should they lower the drinking age? Please keep discussion KaW appropriate.

2. Lets lower it to 13. Should make kaw wc more interesting

3. I think that you should be able to drink at age 18. If a man can join the army, defend this nation, vote for his leaders, he should be able to have a drink. But the standards in Europe are often a cultural thing. German people have consumed a lot of alcohol in their history. But that's because beer was the only safe water source through a lot of their history. That's true with many ancient cultures, mainly because we didn't know how diseases worked. They're not cultural here in America. We had pretty reliable water, and we had some basic idea about boiling it and whatnot, so drinking was just to get drunk. I'm not trying to sound like a bigot, here, because i probably do. And I'm pretty sure I'm getting German history way wrong. So if I offend some German people, and I'm not meaning to, i apologize. Louisiana did fine with a legal drinking age of 18, so why can't the rest of the country? That's my two cents. Sorry about wall of text.

4. Lolol I'm coming to the US 

5. I'm 18. I support this. 

6. Well said bro. If you are old enough to die for your country than you can drink with your country.

7. Thanks, Mr. Ferrel.

8. It used to be 18 and there didn't seem to be any huge issue then.

9. That's what I'm saying.

10. But this is a fake story btw. Fact check before you post thanks

11. Eh make it legal or not, I still drink :lol:

12. All I can say is not coming from the USA but living where the limit is already 18.
    It would be totally foolish. The road deaths alone will never make it acceptable.
    The fights involving younger drinkers and the addiction it causes does nothing to help anyone.
    I know old enough to die for your nation seems total hypocrisy. But wasting your life starting drinking earlier especially with the higher ages involved in USA education to our current ages it will do more harm than any possible good.
    Future first. You have the whole rest of your lives to waste at the bottom of a bottle.
    Enjoy real life first. 

13. Washington smoking age was increased to 21. 21 is a good age for drugs and alcohol.

14. Drink age is already 4 how low do you want it to go

15. Drinking age is 21, Mr. Wolfie.

16. Not too long ago the federal drinking age was 18. Each state will retain the right to keep the age to 21 or more. I'm all for, more power to the states to decide for themselves, and less federal involvement. Each state is unique and will have their own reasons for deciding their own drinking age.

17. I'm with Clumpweight.

18. Kids drink underage anyways so it's irelevent what the change it to

19. Just come to Canada to have a drink.. It's been 18 since I was born and I can tell u if kids want to get drunk they will.. Regardless the age.. Fact is your considered an adult at 18, so the drinking age should follow suit..