Brian Williams vs Bill O'Reilly

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Black-Dragon, Mar 2, 2015.

1. @ RDV-1992

I tend to disagree. Journalism is journalism. It doesn't matter to me if it's network, cable, print, free or paid. If a company is presenting someone to the public as a journalist, then they have an obligation to present a truthful one. That, or stop calling themselves "Fair and Balanced" and admit that they aren't.

2. Chair: a history professor, psychiatrist, chiropractor, and surgeon (MD or DO) are all considered doctors. But they don't all have the same standard of care.

Is Rush Limbaugh a journalist? Or an entertainer? What about Stephen Colbert? Or Jon Stewart? Maybe they are journalists. But they are not news anchors (๎’at least, IMO they aren't).

3. True, but they do all have standards and there is accountability. That's the point. There seems to be none at Fox News.

4. Dragon seems you have an obvious bias. Don't watch it. Maybe they will slip in the ratings. Lol.

5. I see your point. Fox News is clearly biased. Conservatives often point out that MSNBC is as well. They certainly both push an agenda.

This is something that I like to do: check the websites for Fox News, msnbc, and cnn in quick succession. They typically all report similar news stories. But the headlines are different. Sometimes much different. Gives me an idea of what is accurate and which way the two sides are pushing. And for news shows IMO BBC is the best.

๎€‘๏ธ

6. I lol @ comments like these.

A liar is a liar. I don't care if it's the guy changing my tire or the President of the United States . Who cares what position anyone holds. Position DOES NOT MAKE THE MAN!!!

Every man is held to the same standards. Regardless of position or title. It says a lot about not only his character, but the character of any man/woman that would allow things like that to happen.

7. You obviously haven't read many of my posts.

I've never hidden the fact that I don't care much for Fox News. I don't really care about their ratings, either. Compared to network news, their ratings are small and their demographic is mostly old white people. My point is they have a double standard when it comes to journalism.

Fox News covered the Brian Williams story extensively. Even NBC News reported on it. Fox News hasn't covered the Bill O'Reilly story at all. NBC News took action against Williams. Fox News hasn't done zip to O'Reilly.

BTW, I'm also on record as saying Williams should be punished.

8. OMG I'm agreeing with Mickey.

Part of the problem with politics today is we've become polarized and wed to ideological beliefs to the point of stupidity. If their guy lies, we're outraged. If our guy lies, we excuse it and ignore it because it fits with what we believe to be true anyway. The truth doesn't matter. Accuracy doesn't matter. Only what conforms to our beliefs. It's a piss poor way to make decisions.

9. Legally Fox News is considered news entertainment by the FCC. It's not journalism. So get a grip Dragon. New entertainment. Say it slowly.

But I like O'Reilly. He is funny.

10. O'Reilly was more disappointed in John Stewarts retirement announcement than anyone in the liberal media.

Bill and John are peas and carrots.

11. The United States freedom of press ranking is 49th in the world. Investigative journalism is basically one step away from non-existent.

For more information you can check out

World press freedom index at rsf.org

None of you political types have a credible source. You just think you do as your press ranking keeps falling. To elobaborate further, it is to political and partisan. Driven by conservatives and liberals supporters looking for view points that fit their ideals.

Have a good day.

12. I can't find anything that says that's true. I have found this though.

Claim: The FCC has classified Fox News as "satire" rather than a news source.
    Rating: FALSE
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/f ... LdHU8FW.99

But if you have information to the contrary, by all means provide the link.

Also, Fox News Channel, while owned by the Fox Entertainment Group subsidiary of 21st Century Fox is not a broadcast channel. It's a cable channel. As far as I know, Fox News Channel is regulated the same as CNN and MSNBC. Irregardless, FNC, say it slowly, presents itself as journalism.

Hence the "FOX News Channel" logo and the fact its ratings are reported in the cable news network category.

13. Next topic.....Religion. Go!๎’

14. Dragon. It's labled as news entertainment. The same way your favorite network is news entertainment.

The same way you look for sources that support your believes while your countries freedom of press rating falls.

15. Another mistake you make Dragon is this. Commentary versus actual Hard News.

And if you confuse that I nor anyone else has any reason to listen to anything you say.

The evening news anchor vs. Bill O'Rielly and his commentary, is a apples and oranges comparison.

16. One is an arrogant fool who exaggerates and the other is flat out a liar. Neither is credible.

17. If I'm running a business, I can advertise that Im the best at what I do. I can say my product is superior in every way. I can say my methods are the most fair to the consumer. It's doesn't make it true. Other I am in competition with will do the same. It's marketing 101.

The fair and balanced arguments are ridicules. Fox News is a business first. CNN is a business first. They have the right to advertise anyway they choose. Msnbc wishes it had a business.

Regardless consumers decide if they want to consume their product. Which happens to be commentary and opinion on actual news. Cable news, isn't the evening news. Nor should it be.

It's not hard to comprehend the main stream evening news should be unbiased. As this is the news we are suppose to rely on as a whole. So when a anchor gets caught lying to the public it carries more weight. We don't get upset when people like Anderson Cooper stand in front on a green screen and pretend to be on location. Why? Because it is cable news. Not hard news.

No one tunes into Fox to hear what they can hear on MSNBC. They would just watch MSNBC.

Anderson Cooper is a stud.

18. One of the differences between the two, is the general expectations of the audience.

Those who watch Brian Williams are looking for, and have an expectation of, a reasonably objective reality. They look to him as a trusted source to find and present the objective reality to the best of his ability. Thus any departure from the truth is devastating to those that rely on him.

Conversely, Bill O'Reilly's audience looks to him to be told what to think and believe, with no desire of any sort of scrutiny that may lead to an objective reality. In fact, these revelations of Bill O'Reilly's lies about his own personal experiences only serve to strengthen his viewers beliefs in him. After all, if they are told to believe in the lies, including the lie that objective truth seekers are lying, then they will believe Bill O'Reilly all the more.

It's not about any false difference between actual news and alleged news entertainment (Bill O'Reilly's followers actually believe what he tells them as reality), it's about the expectations of their viewers and what they want.

Thus Brian Williams has been vilified, has lost credibility, and has been apologizing, while Bill O'Reilly's fans bray in unison support for the same, if not far more frequent and outrageous, discretions.

19. Hydra, I don't really care if you listen to anything I say or not. I didn't make the thread for you. If you don't want to read it, leave it. It's that simple.

If you can't grasp the fact that O'Reilly claims to be a journalist and hosts a show on what is considered a cable news channel, not an entertainment channel, I can't help you. The fact that Williams was an anchorman and O'Reilly is a commentator is irrelevant. Both claim to be journalists. Both lied. One apologized and was suspended. The other hasn't. The double standard is obvious. That's the point.

Also you claimed that "Legally Fox News is considered news entertainment by the FCC" yet haven't provided anything to support that claim even after you were challenged on it.

Put up or shut up.

20. Actually, no you can't. There are laws against false advertising.

14 False Advertising Scandals That Cost Brands Millions
    http://www.businessinsider.com/false-ad ... z3TGyflOmJ