America and lethal injection. Disciss

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Moose2, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Cess pools, probably not. But violence, prison can be plenty violent.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarcer ... ted_States

What kind of person would carry out these punishments? Would it be you?
    If so, i would assume you are an even more dangerous type of person. You're suggesting mutilation and toture.

Not everyone gets to choose. And not everyone can afford the cost of the punishments that you feel should be more severe.

2. The ppl that are sentenced to the death sentence are, more often than not, ppl that had no compassion or mercy for the victums they murdered, i hope they do die! As far as the methods of death, i tjink a bullet to the brain would be the least expensive

3. The true problem is how nicely WD treat prisoners.

We should be feeding them whatever mush is cheapest, making them work all day, and just making their lives hell in general. The death penalty isn't needed, harsher prisons are though. Make it so prisoners suffer, not live nicer than 50% of society.

4. Everyone gets a choice in life. You may not like them, but you get them. The "cost of punishments"? Do you realize how much is doled out in money for prisoners? And how much in blood and pain for reoccurring criminals being early released and/or the failing rehabilitation? Can we afford not to curb the crime? Spanking is torture? Because "caning" is very close to the same, but publicly with a sugar cane. It's embarrassing, painful, and temporary. They're treated immediately after. Can you say the same for our prison system?

5. Please let's stop using Wikipedia as a credible solo resource. I literally can go on it and change it to whatever I want it to say. Or at least check its resource links. Don't follow blindly. Respect each other's opinions. It's as bad as the guy claiming "97% of climatologist..." crap. Lol.
    I agree with Priest and Moose thoughts. It starts in early education and upbringing. It's mom and dad (democrats and republicans) fighting over custody of the kids (public) by giving them whatever they can and having little to no accountability or consequences.
    If the crime is heinous enough, they deserved the death penalty. There's a justice system in place for that.

6. Why kill someone when they can be used for research to benefit humanity as a whole? Killing them wastes time, resources and the valuable living cells of that person. Just use death sentenced people for drug testing, experimentation primarily genetic. This would also stop the need for animal testing to shut the silly wannabe hippies up. Yes I am a terrible human.

7. I personally believe the type of death penalty should be dependent upon the action of the crime. A bullet, anesthesia, beheading is far to "kind" to those that commit the worse crimes to innocent children and other mankind. " A eye for an eye" seems to fit the bill ... But let's face it, today's world is far different! Discipline and punishment is being changed to rehabilitate and a slap on the wrist. ️

8. How do you " eye for an eye " a certain type of offender that we cannot mention, for example? And who the hell would want to do that
    Just bringing some perspective.

9. A eye for an eye ... Meaning you do something ridiculously horrid to a innocent child or person then I have no pity on how or what is gonna be done to you. Not being literal in the sense of doing what ever the crime committed was.

10. If its all about money, why a bullet? They could do an ISIS and behead them. They can use same knife again and again...

11. Oh joy. Justice based on terrorist actions. There's a vote winner. I thought justice was supposed to be based on us ( civilised society ) being better than the criminals.

12. It's fact and was backed by a source.

"Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America

Expert credibility in climate change:

Here, we use an extensive dataset of 1,372 climate researchers and their publication and citation data to show that (i) 97–98% of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field surveyed here support the tenets of ACC outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, and (ii) the relative climate expertise and scientific prominence of the researchers unconvinced of ACC are substantially below that of the convinced researchers."
    http://www.pnas.org/content/107/27/12107.abstract

Or do you not find the National Academy of Sciences to be "credible" either?

13. I remember having to write a paper about Capital Punishment. Lethal injection can be more costly than housing the prisoner his entire life.

I'm not really for it, not against it either, but I do believe in fair trade. In war, it's human against human, both pay the price of lives, maybe not equally, but fairly. In a state, it's a life for a life.

I totally support the firing squad. Cheaper to do, simple, but can be "bad" if he family wanted an open casket funeral.

Lethal injection can cause great pain, and I agree with Moose on constantly injecting anesthesia until their heart stops (my friend also suggested that). Seems cheaper and less painful, and no mess.

14. Yes, i do.
    And for "everyone gets a choice in life", im responding to his opinion on harsher punishments for minor offenses.
    Like say a protest. One that could result in a 'minor offense'.
    Do see where im going with this?

wait what?
    No its not. The person who does the cainning isnt some random person. Theres a reason the recipient of the lashes is immediately tended to incase of serious injury.

Then lets fix the prison system instead of canning teenagers for vandalism. Seriously, wtf?

Im not against the death penalty. Im for changing how our criminal system is ran currently.

15. Just so we're all on the same page here, according to the FBI, violent crime in America has decreased every year since 1994 and is at the lowest level since the 1970's. We're not in the middle of a crime wave.

Violent Crime Drops to Lowest Level Since 1978
    http://time.com/3577026/crime-rates-drop-1970s/

There's no evidence that death penalty deters crime:

Study says no evidence that death penalty deters crime
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

No credible evidence on whether death penalty deters, experts say
    http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23374844/n ... rs-experts

States with no death penalty have lower murder rates than states that do:

"The U.S. Department of Justice recently released its annual FBI Uniform Crime Report for 2012. The national murder rate remained approximately the same in 2012 as in 2011. The Northeast, the region with the fewest executions, had the lowest murder rate of any region, and its murder rate decreased 3.4% from the previous year. The South, which carries out the most executions of any region, again had the highest murder rate in 2012. The murder rate in the West remained about the same, while the rate in the Midwest increased slightly. Six of the nine states with the lowest murder rates are states without the death penalty."
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/studies ... rates-2012

Having posted all that, I think there are some people who deserve to die for their crimes. I'm not anti-death penalty. However, my problem is the way it's done, and the arbitrary way the sentence is handed out. If you're poor and non-white, you have a much higher chance of getting the death penalty for a similar crime than if you're not poor and white. The statics aren't debatable.

If the State is going to execute people in my name, which is what they do, then I expect the State to be color blind and just about it. If they can't be, then they shouldn't be executing people, period.

If the State is going to execute people in my name, then they need to do it as quickly and as painlessly as possible. It's not flipping rocket science. We euthanize millions of animals quickly and painlessly every year in America. We can do it for condemned prisoners too. If the State can't, then they shouldn't be executing people. It's that simple. The State, which acts on behalf of all of us, is supposed to represent justice, not vengeance.

Some people may get their jollies from thinking about a condemned prisoner suffering a slow and painful death. I don't. Why? Because it's cruel, inhuman, and it demeans both me and the State. I don't care how cruel and inhuman the crime may have been. I'm supposed to be better than the criminal that did the crime. And so is the State that represents me.

16. I think there should be more death penalties and that they should be carried out in a cheap yet effective manner. I don't understand why so many criminals get life on prison rather Than the death penalty. It's ridiculous..."Well we can't have you out on the streets...so we'll just use tax money for you to live in a prison for the rest of your life". Why do we pay for our worst criminals to live?? Why?!?!? That's tax money better used elsewhere. Either kill them cheaply, or turn prisons into some kind of factory that contributes to the country...making some kind of tradable goods...farming even. Self sustaining prisons.

17. Hmm.. Jesus/God in the flesh himself commanded an eye for an eye in the Old Testament laws. This includes death. Now in the case of accidental manslaughter, there were cities of refuge with no extradition where the offender could flee safe from danger untol proven without a doubt it was actual murder or disproven.

As for Allah... Muslims are commanded to kill the infidels.. Infidels...:: not criminals. Infidels. Meaning anyone with different beliefs. I'm certain they support the death penalty.

Now America was founded on Christian principles (in God we trust) and to my knowledge most or all states had the death penalty for a long time. Does this man you were disobedient to God's laws the whole time?

18. I think I trust credible news and information sources. Like I told you in that thread. Your one source claimed to gain that information from all those places. Here, try some credible and independent sources that explain your 97%. Then if you'd like to bump the other thread, feel free. There seems to be plenty of people who will buy into the false claims.

http://www.populartechnology.net/2013/0 ... tists.html

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global- ... sensus.htm

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014240 ... 2813553136

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor ... us-claims/

Each source was independently researched. Separately. Enjoy. If you google it, there's plenty of information pages.

19. @vampire: there is no way that the cost of lethal injection even remotely approaches the cost of incarcerating a felon for life. Even if you account for all the courts costs, lawyers and appeals.

20. yaaaayyyyy with sources like these we can finally counter all the facts found by the real scientists round the world (giggle) now we can be almost as respected as the tin foil hat society (wink)