To MODS - Locking not Necessary

Discussion in 'Ideas + Feature Requests' started by LoD-_PoeticPaladin_-LoD, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I tried following that link to see what you mean, but it just took me to the search menu. whats the specific thread?

2. I agree with the point that you are making. However the example you used was a bad one; that particular idea had been brought up in the forums hundreds of times in the past and was clearly not going to happen.

What does annoy me however is the way that mods lock threads for 'lack of effort' purely because they have no colours/pics or they are only a paragraph long. Well believe it or not, colours and pics are by no means a requirement, and sometimes 1 paragraph is all you need to get your point across. The mods need to keep an open mind as to the potential of each thread imo

3. That is what he wanted you to look at. Look at all of that person's posts.

4. Ahh, I see what you mean. He spammed forums with the same post. I'm certainly not going to lock all of those threads because one dude posted two words on all of them.

In the case of spam like that, please report it at the time so action can be taken against the specific user.

5. You dont lock for copyright infringement or posting threads in forums where its clear the poster was not the original creator (i.e. 3 year old fake stories from Yahoo forums)

Cant expect you to begin caring about forum spam now.

6. No support, haven't had any problems with the locks

7. I think locking for "lack of effort" at times is a crap reason. Not every thread needs 3 paragraphs filled with bb codes and pictures to be a good thread. Some threads only need 5-10 lines. It depends on the context. If a thread simply says "join my clan" then lock away. But if someone quickly types something up asking for people opinions on something (movie, news event, ect) and people are enjoying discussing it then keep it.

There's nothing worse then seeing a good thread with interesting discussion be locked 5-6 pages in. If anything that's taking away from the community.

Also on the pc speakers issue can't you just make it so speaker regen starts after 10 days of activity or so?

8. A lot of threads are requested locks too

9. Everything is not negotiable. The playerbase that you think is calling for change is a SMALL portion of the actual population that actually gives two hoots about PC speaker regeneration. Also, A Thinking Ape Inc. is under NO OBLIGATION to adhere to your "demands." They can just one day decide to pull the plug on their games and you can't do anything about it.

Here's the helpful information you were looking for: http://whatismyipaddress.com/proxy-server

10. Jay, I agree with your post 100%

Too often "no effort" is used to justify the locking of a thread. I myself have used it on occasion despite my feelings towards it. Effort is subjective, and what I might consider to be a decent amount of effort another player might think is significantly lacking.

I've never cared about the absence of bbcodes, pics, or even grammar, therefore never use it as means to justify a no effort post.

What I consider no effort, is typically when the op offers ZERO discussion worthy or thought provoking content. Also, IMO a thread is not only as good as its opening post, but the posts afterward. Some ops are absolutely horrendous, but the discussion that ensues despite it make second looks vital.

11. What makes you think mods are responsible for detecting and enforcing copyright infringement? :? How do we know the original copyright holder? Is this something we can verify using our existing moderator toolkits? Is such litigation within the scope of our skills and experience?

Nah.

It is also a totally separate issue to one user spamming for post-count.

12. Look guys/gals. At the end of the day, modding means making judgement calls.

As in all things that involve dealing with the public, no decision we make will be met with universal approval.

Just Know that mods try to run a tidy active topics board. We kill spam and facilitate the smooth flow of forums.

I don't expect everyone to agree with out decisions, but, they are our decisions to make.

If you're unhappy with a moderator decision, you can always email support@athinkingape.com and lodge an appeal. Support acts as a "check" for mod decisions and is a venue for appeal for disgruntled players.

Hope this offers some insight for you

13. I'd like to apologize to the mods for being more than a little confrontational when it wasn't necessary. So, moderators, I do apologize for that. I understand that you folks are just trying to do your jobs and definitely appreciate the time you put forth to do that.

Now that we've had several mods weigh in on the topic, I think it's been explained very much in depth from several viewpoints.

/lock?

14. This is a separate discussion from a separate thread.

A) I never said a large portion of the playerbase was calling for change, I said IF a large portion did, they would incur change in order to keep their paying players happy. This is business, nothing more.

B) I never claimed that ATA was obligated to adhere to anybody's demands, not sure where the heck you're pulling that from. Again, I simply said that they will listen to a large group of players that want something. Just business.

Also - please lock this thread, and my apologies again go out to the mods for my earlier rudeness.

15. No problem. Locking thread per OP request. Have a nice evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.