E85 (Flex Fuel) in regular engines

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stitch456, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Spreading propaganda also seems to be a strategy used. Or buying the idea and discarding it. Though now with information so readily available that would now turn into a scandal lol.

2. I know this is about cars but I work on small engines and the ethanol destroys gaskets and carburetors because it absorbs the water content.

3. I believe acdelco makes fuel line that is resistant to corrosion a by all fuels you can buy in the main market. Also ethanol as already been said is ethyl alcohol or corn alcohol. And you usually only end up with 10% ethanol in gas in the winter as it helps to winterize the fuel. As to biodiesels the Diesel engine named after Rudolph Diesel was designed originally to run off of peanut oil and then diesel was created by big oil companies and was more readily available so was the primary source of fuel up until recent years with the new push for green fuels and alternative fuels. And if you're driving a 90' chevy Id switch my fuel lines and check my gaskets before doing continued use of E85 to ensure you don't end up with a leak.

4. i run e85 in my car during the spring/summer/fall for its high octane rating... it is true that it will eat away at any rubber in its path, ie: fuel lines, float in the fuel cell, fuel injectors including the mesh screens in the injector, fuel filter etc if its not made of a material that will withstand the harshness of the ethanol, its great for making power tho... i was able to make 200 more horsepower with e85 than i was able to make on pump gasoline...
    if it sits for awhile it begins to separate and it will corrode metals that are not able to handle it either... so using e85 on a car that has not been made from the factory to use it as fuel or if your car has not been prepped to be able to use it, then i suggest not using it...
    but again, its great for making power!

5. I hate E85, and let me tell you why.

My step brother was not very smart, although I loved him truly.
    He was big time into cars, mainly Classic Cars like Mustangs and Corvettes, as am I.
    However, he was under the impression that E85 would make his car go way faster, so every time he spotted it, he would fill his old 66 Vette up with it, and try to take off.
    Whenever I was with him, I would make him stop because I knew that it was a. Very very bad idea. But unfortunately I wasn't always with him.
    So one day, we decided to drive to the nearest movie theatre for the newest Action Flick. His Vette was only a two seater, and he had his girlfriend with him, who was a drop dead beauty.
    I decided to follow behind in my Silverado, and halfway through, we stopped for gas.
    I was too busy thinking to think, so I forgot to make sure he didn't pull a stupid, and fill his Vette up with E85.
    He did.
    And so, after grabbing some Doritos in the Gas Station, we took off toward the Theatre.
    About halfway there, in crowded traffic, I noticed his car was smelling terrible, and making loud noises. I didn't understand at first what was going on, but then it dawned on me, and I honked, while turning in my Turn Signal.
    Too late. His engine exploded, flipping the Vette over, and throwing him out the side of it. I threw open the door of my truck, and rushed after him.
    His girl was toast, she didn't make it past the blow, and the car was on fire.
    He was convulsing on the ground, yelling unintelligible words when I ran up. A crowd had gathered and I could hear the Sirens in the background.
    "Zeth..." He asked (obviously I won't put my real name) "Is that you?"
    "Yeah." I answered holding closed his vein from his stubbed leg. He lost part of his left leg, his right arm, and his face was burnt.
    "I can't see you." He said, strangely calm.
    "What do you need Jeff?" I said, trying to be calm, even though I could feel his life pumping out of his body.
    "I need..." He began. "I need..."
    "What?"
    "I need about Tree Fiddy." He said.
    It was around this time that I realized Jeff was a 8 Story tall Crustacean from the Paleozoic Era.
    "Dammit MONSTAH! I ain't giving you no tree Fiddy!" I yelled, as he swam off.

Since then, I hate E85.

6. E85 can't blow up an Engine u can blow up the gas tank I'm not sure how likely that is the e85 will eat seals maybe allowing air in however those saying it gives more horse power the gasoline E85 has 30% less power not more u will hurt gas mileage. U can't get any 200hp boost that's just stupid most lose 30% of their horsepower, very very few cars can take advantage of e85 higher octane level and lower heat produced and will get better mileage with E85 over gasoline simply bc when gasoline is used car is under huge hold back to keep it from causing engine damage.

7. Anyway no advantage of putting e85 in your car over regular gasoline. If the car was designed for regular gasoline u are risking damage to the car from no reason (currently anyway) if gasoline prices go back up then it may actually save you money right now where I'm at anyway u would b spending more for e85 then gasoline. $3 for a gallon of gas is same as $2 for e85.

8. Cool story bro tell it again.

I thought you learned your lesson about posting lies on the forums.. Or does another clan need to be made to point out your inability to tell the truth.

9. You will most definitely get a reduction in mpg by about 30% and you can gain power but not by simply pumping it into your tank. If you tune your car for e85 you will have about a 15% drop in mpg and get a rather nice boost in power. The real question is, does it do damage as big oil claims.

10. No one else drinks gas? Just me?

11. If u tune the engine to use e85 u CAN NOT use gasoline till its put back to normal it will knock very heavy and break the engine down pretty quickly if u tried.

12. Does another thread need to be locked to prove my point?