E85 (Flex Fuel) in regular engines

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stitch456, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Ethanol is where BioDiesel comes from isn't it?

2. No, Biodiesel refers to a vegetable oil - or animal fat-based diesel fuel consisting of long-chain alkyl (methyl, ethyl, or propyl) esters. Biodiesel is typically made by chemically reacting lipids (e.g., vegetable oil, animal fat) with an alcohol producing fatty acid esters. Ethanol on the other hand is commonly referred to simply as alcohol or spirits, ethanol is also called ethyl alcohol, and drinking alcohol. It is the principal type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages, produced by the fermentation of sugars by yeasts.

3. It can, but the biodiesel most of us hear about is old cooking grease and oil, Like MacDonald's. Its cleaned up and all that jazz before being used.

Ethanol, ive heard its absorbs water. If true i could see it being bad for engines. But how many people can go a month or more the same gas (not taking small engines in t9 account)?

4. I thought that's what the 15%+ gasoline did. Not sure and I can't really find anything on this but I'll look into it more

5. In many large truck and some construction equipment a system using alcohol is part of the air system for brakes and such to remove water to keep everything working like it should (air dryer)

6. Im aware of that(2 f350, 1 f250. All desiel) but as i understandwith, ethanol
    builds up in while you vehicle is not in use.

My trucks though, they all have the option to increase the rpms during idol. Keeps the moisture from building up.

7. Only thing I know about e85 is it takes a longer process to make so you say it burns cleaner in cars but creates more of problem in terms of environment than just making regular gasoline

I think Brazil uses more e85 than gasoline

8. I drink gas

9. Been to a ethanol plant in Texas and they don't blend the gasoline in there. The Feds but in some for of arsenic before it leaves the plant. But to be honest there is not enough corn fields in the world that could substation people and cars.

10. Ethanol can burn the seals and it a costly fix however it takes 10% forever to do any real damage Beyond the amount of gas the car will ever use however E85 will eat it with just 10,000-20,000 miles  and it does burn cooler and its less Energy per gallon by a 2/3ths ratio so cars so if the price isn't 2/3th the price of normal gas your wasting your money on another note some cars designed specifically for E85 (which is few and can harm them if u use normal gasoline) can take advantage of the cooler burning and higher octane level for more performance.  As far as your engine light being on was your car knocking? E85 has a octane rating of 96-105 area if I remember correctly that would fix a knocking problem pretty quick.

11. Ethanol is a hygroscopic substance, meaning that it attracts water molecules from its environment. Like salt or sugar for example.

This means that if your fuel tank consists of material that can corrode from exposure to water, you'll get a slight problem when leaving your vehicle unused for a long time (over winter). Typically this will be the case for oldtimers.

E85 usually is called bio ethanol, referring to the fact that ethanol is produced from renewable resources. And yes, there aren't enough resources to feed the world and drive around only with ethanol. Some countries like Brazil have a very high percentage of ethanol driven cars, mainly due to the fact that they have vast sugar cane plantations.

Like Stitch mentioned it, Henry Ford was thinking about powering his cars with ethanol as it was easily available. His Model T was able to drive on ethanol (as were the first engines developed by Otto). However, cheap oil and the influence of Standard Oil made Ford abandon ethanol as fuel. Thank Rockefeller for driving around with gas instead of ethanol...

A conventional engine will average a 30% increase in consumption with ethanol as it has less energy content (per volume). Optimization of an engine reduces it to 15-25%.
    Due to its higher octane number, ethanol allows higher power outputs. One supercar, the Koenigsegg Agera reaches its power of 1.400hp with ethanol (you might know the car from the video game Need for speed).

Per se, E85 shouldn't hurt your modern engines, but if it hasn't been tuned for it (injection), there is no real cost benefit due to the higher consumption (and certainly not nowadays with the low oil prices).

12. I might try some sparkling ethanol tonight. Sounds yummy.

13. True.

Anyway, I haven't the slightest idea what E85 even is.
    I'm into cars, but not a nut about them.
    It sounds like it's pretty rare right now, so probably expensive?

14. You're doing it all wrong.

And God, who would do that? My Step-Brother let me siphon his Car once when I didn't have enough gas to get to town, and sadly, it wasn't a clear hose.
    Nasty crap. Didn't swallow luckily. But I did get the gas I needed.

15. Cask strength single malt scotch whisky: 60% ethanol! That's what fuels me ️

16. Condensate is a bi-product of crude oil. It runs a gas powered engine good

17. Don't even share with me rude

18. No, I filled my truck up for 20$, rather nearly full and I have a 25 gallon tank. But it does reduce fuel efficiency so cost vs consumption it very well not be the right call for saving money. But big oils has been killing source after source of alternative fuels for years. Biodiesel or working prototype has been around FOREVER and is just now starting to make big into the market.

19. Indeed Stitch, the history of Standard Oil (the Rockefeller emporium) and its immediate influence on Ford switching from ethanol to gas is an example of it.

The actual price drop of oil is another very interesting story and has many different ramifications. It is said to be done by the gulf states in order to slow down research and rentability of alternative energy sources, like bio ethanol, to buy them a few more years.