E85 (Flex Fuel) in regular engines

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stitch456, Feb 13, 2015.

1. So I've been told E85 is bad for regular engine. As a mechanic and general truth seeker I've have to ask myself why. I've heard "ethanol burns hotter so it's bad for the internal parts" so I did research to find that it actually burns cooler with a less volatile ignition. Another thing I was told is the ethanol will eat away the rubber seals and such. Again as I was looking into this claim I found that since the late 1980s in the USA cars have been made ETHANOL TOLERANT, because of the use of E10. I've looked into other things as well but would like to avoid wall of text. Now I would like to open a discussion on the use of E85.

Update: after burning about half a tank in my regular 1990 Chevrolet k1500 I've noticed I get less mpg BUT I use to have a backfire now it's gone and my check engine light was on, it went off.

2. I used E85 once. Best drug ever.

3. To add to this I drive a 1990 Chevrolet k1500 which I am now running E85 in. I've found no issues so far and in fact it seems to be running better!

4. Zeth please stay on topic or leave I would like a good discussion about alternative fuel

5. The problem with E85 isnt mecessarily the ethanol content - its the lower heating value.

E85 requires more fuel to get the same mileage.

6. Im guessing e85 is 85% ethanol 15% gasoline.

If so, where would you even get that from?

I've never seen it.

7. It's beginning to hit the market. 13 states I know of have it in some stations

Edit: speedway I know for sure is a flex fuel supporter

8. Lol less known fact the first flex fuel car was ........... The model T Ford.

9. People are whipping around on veggie oil.

Isn't ethanol just a byproduct of corn?

I cant believe its much different or worse.

10. Thinks zeth's been enjoying too much "leaded" fuel since birth....

11. Alcohol

12. Do kids these days even know what leaded fuel was ?

13. I think I do

14. Whats funny is when you have people buy lead for the old tractor gas ... think about that

15. Only thing I've heard wrong about E85 is that it builds more sludge in your engine and it doesn't burn as clean

16. Btw - e85 is 10% component to 90% regular unleaded fuel.๎€Ž

17. Check again
    E85 is an abbreviation for an ethanol fuel blend of 85% denatured ethanol fuel and 15% gasoline or other hydrocarbon by volume, although the exact ratio of fuel ethanol to hydrocarbon can vary considerably while still carrying the E85 label. The ethanol content is adjusted according to the local climate to maximize engine performance. ASTM 5798 specifies the allowable fuel ethanol content in E85 as ranging from 51% to 83%.

18. Your regular fuel is about 10% ethanol 90% gasoline....

19. E10, e85 , same crap diff label, think you'll find it's mostly regular unleaded, part ethanol. Happy to be proved wrong, just trying to help๎‡๎€Ž

20. The Feds puts poisons in the ethanol so people won't drink it and also why it is E85 not just ethanol. Just use 180 proof moonshine for your car just need to change the spark plugs more because they burn out faster with ethanol.