Kanye West, Creed, and the downfall of music

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jayde, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Right off the bat, I will admit fully that I did not watch the Grammy's. I can't stand today's music, and see no need to spend hours of my life on it. I did watch The Walking Dead, though. Great episode.

Back on track, though.

After Kanye West's poorly rated performance where auto-tune showed off more talent than he did, the Album of the Year award was presented to an artist that has been around for over 20 years, Beck.

So Kanye almost pulled a "Kanye", interrupting Beck during his acceptance speech as he once did with Taylor Swift. Though he passed it off as a joke, he later came out admitting he was serious. That, and I quote: "Beck needs to respect artistry and he should have given his award to Beyoncé".

Wait a second, wait a second. Kanye is talking to someone about respect? Isn't that a bit like his wife Kim talking to someone about modesty?

Beck is a class act, though. Truly. Rolling Stone JUST posted an article with his response:
    "I thought she was going to win. Come on, she's Beyonce! . . . You can't please everybody, man. I still love [West] and think he's genius. I aspire to do what he does." Class. Act.

Now, let's talk about artistry for a second. While I'm sure Queen B has many fans on this forum, as it's a 9+ game, one cannot deny that her artistry is almost completely in her voice. She's talented, sure. Is she more talented than someone who writes, produces, plays the music, and sings all of their own songs?

Do you remember the days when ALL music artists were that kind of talented? When Tom Petty, John Mellancamp, Billy Joel, Elton John, Harry Chapin, John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison, David Bowie, Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Prince, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Michael Jackson... oh the list goes on and on. Where was I? Oh right... Beyonce's artistry. Let me illustrate my point using a popular meme:

[​IMG]

Now insert Beck where Freddie is in that image. Or anyone of your choosing. Now, I admit to not being that big of a hip hop fan, however I can respect artistry in any genre. Ne-Yo, Ke$ha, Sia, Ed Sheeran... even Taylor Swift. They all write their own stuff, all modern artists. Bravo.

Now Kanye is another story. With Beyonce, I see the hype. But Kanye? I honestly don't get what you fans see in him or his music, this self proclaimed expert of artistry. I am well aware that many see him on genius level. Still, even within that genre that I admittedly do not like, I've heard better (Macklemore, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, LL Cool J, Outkast, The Roots, Jay Z, Usher, etc).

But perhaps there is an underlying issue to why his music sounds so putrid to me and many others. Let's compare it to a band in the rock genre (my home sweet home, my side of town, my love, my rock). Creed. Do you know why I hate Creed so much? Is it their generic, mainstream, boring, throaty, coattail riding, disposable, ear screeching sound? No, a lot of bands sound like that. The true hatred comes from Scott Stapp's attitude. Comparing himself to Jesus, saying his band is better than Pearl Jam (come on... PEARL JAM), being an overall crazy jerkface (word made nice for the kiddies)... Point being, I will never hear his frog-ladened voice without thinking of how much of a jerkface he is.

Same for Kanye... while it's not my genre, I again respect artistry. He respects nothing, and it's a shame he still gets rewarded for it. It's a shame his wife gets rewarded for having no talent at all sans showing her naked body to the world. It's insulting to me that people who act like this, who are truly this horrible, are given justification through idolatry. Can't blame them, though, can we? Society and the media falls at their feet, so why would they need to be decent people? Why would they respect anyone else, learn about other genres, give any thought to the people who look up to them as role models? They don't need to.

So really in the end... it's our fault, isn't it?

2. It is all our fault.. And full support,
    Music sucks and Kanye is a psycho

3. Forgot to

/endrant

4. I hate everything too

5. Freddie is love, Freddie is life.

So much agree with this thread

6. I agree with you infinitely%(lol that was better in my head) anyway agreed

7. Music is a business first than art somewhere down the foodchain,remember skrillex/dub step was big 2-3 years ago 

8. To me personally, it's like that debate of "out soldiers barely get payed while Beyoncé gets paid millions" and such. Kayne is famous. A celebrity. In this generation, that sadly means a lot. Talent or no talent :3

9. Quite true, but dub step was only popular because they never had to deal with having to use dial up internet

10. Who watches that **** anyways

11. You did it for me. Thanks.

12. Man i tried i really tried. Made it halfway through that long ass thing.

Rap is n always will be fake

Rock if u synced youd get ur ass bood right out n lose everything. Just stop listening to trash

13. I watched 10 min of the Grammy's.. AC/DC's performance. And they were wonderful.

14. I watched the whole show. I was highly disappointed that the whole night was a political statement instead of about the music.

As for Kanye, he's the most racist artist on the planet. He only does this when caucasians win artist of the year. He should be banned from being at the awards.

I did get to see Miranda and Eric Church, so the evening wasn't a total waste.

15. I should probably try to find a video of that. I did see a fun .gif of Jamie Fox's daughter looking very confused during AC/DC... like, "uh... what sounds are they making??"

16. The funny thing is that if you look at the video of jay-z and Beyoncé's reaction, they were horrified when Kanye went to the mic. So now all this backlash is going to fall back on them specifically her, when ultimately Beyoncé probably didn't care. Kanye shouldn't quit his day job as being an ass because being a publicist isn't going to work out for him if all he does is cause negative publicity for the artist he wants people to appreciate.

17. Beyoncé and Jay Z play kaw

18. So well stated. Thank your for rant which made me think YES YES OH YES

19. Red n Cella