Technology's Effect on Human Evolution

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Imitation-Cheese, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Thus far, the benefits of technological advances have outweighed the drawbacks, in my opinion. Advancements in technology appear to have been accelerating at an alarming rate. Just over ten years ago, for example, you actually had to call people to get directions.

At our doorstep are technologies that may hold the key to solving most human problems, such as artificial intelligence.

Assuming that Microsoft's promise that AI won't kill us, and it actually helps us live better lives and do things we cant like find a cure for cancer, have you ever wondered what we stand to lose if all goes well?

What I mean is this - we humans (if you believe) have developed many abilities throughout our evolution over the past few million years since we crawled out of a pool of sludge somewhere in the ocean. These abilities include things like the ability to see both long and short distances, to synthesize information about our environment to help us survive and grow strong. We have the ability to communicate and exchange ideas verbally and with the written word.

But evolution works both ways. If we don't use these abilities, we lose them, and there are studies that prove this. One that comes to mind is a cat that had its eyes sewn shut from birth was blind for life after the stitches were removed only a few months later.

My question to you is this: what abilities do you think humans stand to LOSE as technology advances and "helps" us?

I'll start. I have noticed that many young people have lost the ability to effectively communicate verbally because (I believe) they haven't needed to due to text messaging and social media. I just met a person today who said he refuses to speak on the phone, preferring only to text and email.

Please share your thoughts.

2. Gimme cheese one of those sex robots. 

3. It is predicted that humanity as a whole will lose the ability to communicate face to face in the future sooner rather than later and have actual human interactions

4. "Technology's effect on human evolution" technology is the effect of evolution. ...

5. I regularly go on tech detox, no tech, just me Orienteering for a week or two,and then back to the craziness

6. I had to reread this about 5-6 times before it finally sunk in.

But I think technology is a duality. On the one hand, we created technology. On the other hand, our use of it is affecting us.

7. Thats very brave of you. So far, I've only been able to go about a day without my cell phone

8. I don't think it's technology that is the issue, that's just a by product of society's desire to make life easier and more efficient!

9. Society does tend to have a strong desire to make life easier and more efficient. Do you think doing that is always beneficial to us?

10. Everything created for human use is beneficial in some way, otherwise it wouldn't have been created! unfortunately the downsides are not realised until negative effects have set in on a large scale

11. You are correct CheeseyMore and more we depend on these technology's in our day to day. as an earlier poster stated he takes "Tech Breaks" or "Detox's" and I applaud you sirMore people should do this and get back to the basics get outside,go fishing,hunting and camping.

One day the power WILL go out and 90% of these technologies will not workand he who is prepared to live without them will live LONGEST and Best️️

️️SPANK

12. Just look at the Internet, it has had both positive changes as well as negative ones to different industries. Industries such as Newspapers, music, books, and travel agencies have been severely threatened, where as it has opened new markets like eBay, iTunes, YouTube, and social media.

So the question of whether technology has helped or hurt human kind more, I would have to side with helped us. It has opened numerous doors into advancing our lives, but we must be careful to not over do it, so to speak.

13. Do you think technology is going to make our brains less efficient?

Why bother mastering a skill when we can just google it?

I can personally already feel my ability to remember things is fading because i have no need to remember things because I depend on technology to remember things for me.

My appointments, birthdays, places ive been, things ive done are all recorded digitally so i dont have to use my own memory...

Is this helping us by making our lives easier?

14. Technology really is not going to cause us to be physically altered one way or the other, because evolution does not work that way. Though you may lose the ability to communicate out of lack of use, your offspring are not affected. The only way technology would alter us in this way is if there was some genetic mutation that would make some group of people able to use technology more effectively and become healthier and able to reproduce more, and if this had a negative effect on the other people; i.e, they reproduce less and die faster.

So technology will not actually cause us to evolve and lose anything physically, due to there being a myriad of other factors, but it could alter our culture.

However that is kind of a moot point, as everything alters our culture in some way. I think that technology will cause greater awareness about diversity, but will also cause more and more people to mistake social cues and overall have fewer social interactions with other people. This means that with increased tech we may see a rise in mental diseases like depression, but that is a correlation and not a causation.

Change is coming though, and while it is a cause for concern, I would say get excited and embrace many of the developments in technology!

15. How wouldn't we be able to communicate face to face? o_O

16. Who is the d*** that sewed a cats eyes shut. Bloody wrong.

17. Upgrades by cybernetics in future - all up for it. AI - **** that ****.....end of us all. Any intelligent being will seek destruction of life threatning enemy. We would be seen as such, by second gen AI created by the first gen AI as soon as we will create true AI, and let it live, as we would still hold the "shut down" button for the first, by us created , gen of AI.
    I dont mind the advance trough tech but AI is being and not tech.
    Chip me, implant, mutate...idc but AI is threat IMO and must not be created. VI fair play to help....AI nope.

And cheese - just because you remember less of the common, easy by tech aided info doesnt mean you remember less. 100 years ago a person had to spend nearly liftime learning specialization to master it completely. Today you can very easy cover 2-3 within teenagehood alone teoretically just because tech assistance. Bare in mind you have to remember how to operate PC, android, windows or i-crap mobile device, understand how and where to seek info on the net....

18. Do you like to make stupid discussion threads on a phone you don't even play?

19. You should have had your phone remind that you quit KAW and get clowned out everytime you come here