Obama thaws Cuban relations

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Moose2, Dec 19, 2014.

1. I support these opening of talks with Cuba mostly because Cuban cigars are still the best in the world.

2. I am wondering if the Cubans here get to keep the refuge status or not.

3. Cuban cigars are coming back!

4. Trading with Russia isn't nothing special. Matter or fact Russia's economy is why they maybe, probably not leaning towards the US. That and Venezuela tanking.

Something I remember from earlier this year. When protest in Venezuela were at their most intense. Cuba sent police to help suppress the protesters. Brutality was "supposedly" the norm out or them. I obviously wasn't there or that close to the events through media. That was just a few months.

I guess it's being done for the people. It would be a pretty awesome thing to pull Cuba back with us. We gotta start somewhere no? Hopefully we can open up social media with them. I think the fake twitter is all they have?

Wait that was ZunZuneo also supposedly set up by the United States to undermine the Castro government.

Speaking of Twitter, that reminds me of the Turkey Protest. High ranking officials were laying blame on western social media. Something to do with Erdogan wife and nude pictures made them crazy.

5. Black market for Cuban Cigars in USA would crash then...

6. Keep Americans away! It's the only place we can go without those self centered pompous pricks! BOOM

7. Now you may go to Russia or a North Korea without us. We won't be there.

Not much of a boom though. You can so better. Pompous. Lol

8. Whatever...just another day in politics. U.S. put nukes in Turkey. Russia was like wtf? Somehow Russia could call Cuba..hey Fidel you wanna half dozen nukes...show those western imperial pigs what us pseudo communist facist can do? And the u.s. didn't even have a phone number for the Kremlin? So some real people ran some phone line and plugged in a red phone and then called fedex or put a return to sender label on the nukes. All lunacy. Everyone else in the world has been trading with, vacationing in Cuba right along. You can get coca cola, Hershey bars, Marlboro lights, Jack Daniels, playboy in Cuba...polio vaccine, HIV meds...soooooo. A better question might be..how the f did the u.s. leave a geriatric spy in a Cuban jail for 5 years? And how did I not hear a

9. Or how about setting up a compensation fund and remuneration board for all the little people and legitimate businesses that got the shaft when Cuba nationalized?

10. Normalizing relations with Cuba weakens the ties between Cuba and Russia, which is strategically sound for the U.S., particularly with Russia's recent aggressive positions and actions.

11. I believe that America shall benefit greatly from improved relations with Cuba. The tourism sector would most likely be dominated by American individuals and businesses, i am also a firm anti-communist but i respect the former right wing, communist dictator for fighting a corrupt regime, so far he has avoided major civil conflict in Cuba, its a shame hes a commie though. Would be great if he was more right wing.

12. Cuba's relations with Russia are not widely understood. The rise of Putin into power has mainly been focused cutting of communist relations to butter up Europe and America, so that they would be allowed to retake Crimea and other Baltic States largely unchallenged.

13. Or is it the US making Russia focus on its own borders so they can sure up the Western Hemisphere?

The relationship to watch is Cuba and Venezuela. I was hinting at that in a earlier post.

We are Amercians. We don't think Eurocentric.

14. Think about though. Why would Cubans want a alliance with Russia? Cuba 90 miles of the coast.

Russia a country who used them get at the USA. A country that after their collapse could not support them anymore. Russia a country that has nothing in common with the people other than dated ideology they themselves use no more.

Russia didn't have a mass exodus of Cubans showing up on their shores to escape communism.

As soon as Putin increased Russia's military budget they started to focus on Cuba once again. Does the Russian spy ship ring a bell?

Cubans are more American than anything. And with travel restrictions eased there will be a lot of back and forth. Especially within the large Cuban community.

We can think overall strategy, but honestly I believe it's more about the people this time. The strategy can go right out the window, but if we must. Is trade Crimea for Cuba any day. All day. IMO.

15. In what manner was Russia "buttering up" the U.S.? They opposed the U.S. On everything from Syria to China and Israel, and have consistently blocked U.S. led efforts with the U.N. If Russia cut ties with some countries (not that there is any evidence of cutting ties with Cuba), it would be purely for their own interests.

At this time of sanctions, Russia will be searching for anyone who opposes the U.S., including Cuba. So a normalization of relations with Cuba is a good strategic move to help contain the possible threat from Russia, which could be 90 miles from Florida.

16. It's not coincidence this has come up seeing as putin was in cuba not so long ago discussing installation of a listening post