NEWS: Sydney Australia hostages held by jihadist

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -_-That-__Luccus__-Guy-_-, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Now that, is what I love about Australia. We have mateship, and we always help each other when something like this happens.

2. Oh my gosh please if the extremists would stop giving Islam a bad name, that would be great. Hinestly they probobly dont understand a thing about Islam.

3. What we know about the 'spiritual healer' named as the Sydney hostage taker
    Almost a year ago to the day when Man Harron Monis took more than two dozen people hostage in a Sydney cafe, he appeared in a Sydney court.

But Monis, an Iranian who was granted political asylum in 1996, wasn’t there on a terror-related charges; rather, a month earlier, he'd been charged as an accessory to the murder of his ex-wife and the mother of his two children, Noleen Hayson Pal, 30, who was killed in April 2013. His 34-year-old girlfriend, Amirah Droudis, had been charged with Pal’s murder.

Described at the time as a “self-styled cleric,” Monis was apparently in a bitter custody battle with his ex-wife at the time of her death. Pal had allegedly been stabbed multiple times before being set on fire.

However, Monis and Droudis were granted bail — the magistrate said neither posed a threat to the public.

Monis' entanglements with the law didn't end there. In April 2014, he was arrested by sex crimes detectives and charged with the indecent and sexual assault of a woman in 2002.

In October, Monis, also known as Mohammad Hassan Manteghi and Sheikh Haron, was charged with 40 indecent and sexual assault charges, including 22 counts of aggravated sexual assault and 14 counts of aggravated indecent assault relating to six other women.

These charges relate to the time Monis spent as a self-proclaimed "spiritual healer" who took out newspaper ads offering consultations in astrology, numerology, meditation and black magic between 2000 and 2002.

Monis was next due to appear in court in relation to these charges on Feb. 27, 2015.

His former lawyer Manny Conditsis told Australia's ABC News that he may have carried out Monday's actions because he considered he had nothing left to lose.

"This is a one-off random individual," he said. "It's not a concerted terrorism event or act.

Conditsis said that while Monis was in custody he experienced "some very unpleasant events."

"It's a damaged goods individual whose done something outrageous," Conditsis told ABC News.

It was his letter writing that first brought Monis to the attention of the authorities.

Between 2007 and 2009, he penned letters to the families of Australian soldiers killed in Afghanistan. In the letters, he described the soldiers as murderers and, in some, said the soldiers were going to hell.

After one court appearance, he padlocked himself to a railing on the stairs.

Following a drawn out legal process, he was sentenced to 300 hours of community service in August 2013 and placed on a two-year good behavior bond, along with Droudis, who pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting him in the campaign.

Outside court, Monis described his letters as “flowers of advice.”

“Always, I stand behind my beliefs,” he told reporters.

On his website, sheikhharon.com, which has been removed, Monis displayed a similar rhetoric to that seen outside the court.

In an update to the site, dated Dec. 14 2014, a day before the Sydney cafe hostage situation he wrote that "The more you fight with crime, the more peaceful you are," under a graphic photo of what appears to be three dead children and a woman

A biography in PDF form linked the site, describes Monis as a cleric and activist who has been "continuously been under attack

4. ISIS and Al-Qaida two sick minded ideology for Muslims and when someone just uses those sick minded peoples are more mentally ill then ISIS or Al-Qaida. Therefore hope all don't judge all Muslims because of these mentally ill sick minded peoples.

5. Rekt

6. #Iwillridewithyou
    Woman on a train was taking off her religious garment a complete stranger said put it back on and I will ride with you

We as a nation are not afraid, we are concerned but we are brought closerand will stand up for our fellow Australians. Respect to all those who were effected

7. I read that :) a lady began to remove her hijab. A fellow passenger told her to stop an she would stay with her. The Lady wearing the hijab cried an hugged the other lady an thanked her.

8. I love the irony in this post. Seeing how every few weeks I see someone from the minority get killed in the news, Asians are always targeted there and the hard truth is, you won't find bigger racists anywhere else.
    Probably except for Texas. 

How many Asian students you read killed as some local was butthurt that the student worked there, while the local could barely ever find a job.

9. mahmood, you seem an honest man! Can I ask you what does ISIS, Al-Qaida or this jihadist is Sydney have in common? They all follow Sharia, which is a system of several laws based on the Qur'an and Hadith.
    However, I totally agree with you that not all Muslims should be judged, but the Islamic books.

10. #ProudToBeAussie

11.  aussie and don't really care about randoms tbh (obviously besides people being held hostage...). You'll find the same 'mateship' in most other countries around the world. It's not 1916 anymore.

12. Sadly two hostages died and it's always a tragic loss when innocent blood is used by some extremist to further a warped view.

Islamic extremists are a small and highly vocal minority amongst a huge population that is tarnished with a reputation that they don't deserve.

They no more represent the hopes and dreams of most Muslims than westboro baptist church represents the average Christians belief.

Bad people do bad things and hide behind a self righteous morality.

If you think you are in a war with fundamental Islam then the best weapons you'll ever have is education and hope.

13. You will never stand alone Australia, brothers and sister's shoulder to shoulder, prayers to the families

14. Sharia is based in laws that's 1400 years old !! Islam has like more then 90 branches and 3 are most influential ones . Sunni , Shia and wahabi. ISIS and Al-Qaida are based on wahabism they say that all Muslim should obey laws that were during prophet Muhammad like 1400 years ago and Sunni are more like moderate ones like turkey and Shia are the ones that rised as political branch against Sunni . Sunni and Shia have faught each other for centuries and still are fighting like protistants and Catholics of Christianity faught each other for centuries !!

Jihadist isn't any branch it's just a meaning of fighting for right cause so this man wasn't any jihadist a jihadist wouldn't kill his wife and sexually assault 40 women !! That's a psychologicaly ill and crazy person that does that and to get attention he just created wrong idea and meaning to get attention of media in name of Islam.

Today journalism is based on assumptions and Twitter and Facebook . Journalist now days don't say the facts , don't check backgrounds and don't see context when i saw news and read that this crazy men was holding wrong flag of stupid ISIS and demanded police to bring him the right flag I was like what the hell this is a crazy and ill person but I don't see and read that in news why BECAUSE THAT DOESNT SELL AND IT ISN'T INTERESTING !!!

Sharia is a law based on different cultures and based on sayings in Quran it's a mixtures of cultural and Islamic law. During centuries people changed it to there benefits so there is no clear sharia. Every branches of Islam have there own sharia that benefited there own country it changed during years because of that no one knew what were true in sharia and what was not true and people saying they want sharia law are just wanting to go back to 1400 years ago !! Like if a Christian in this time want a law that's based on 2000 years ago !! Did you know that the Christianity when Muhammad was born had a law to bury alive every child that was girl in that time ?? So Muhammad did made a law that that should be stopped and anyone will be punished if they did that so you can't bring like those laws of Christianity of that time in this time. Like this you can't bring sharia law that's out dated in this time.

15. All I know is that no matter what faith you have, whatever name you might tack on your religion, if you believe in some greater good, something bigger and better than you whatever you may call it, that particular power is more than likely pissed off at the foolishness and stupidity of the human race. Why can't we all just get along?  P.s. just wait til aliens come. Will everybody get together to kill them too? 

16. What a load of crap. Are you an ISIS spokesperson? In charge of their public rep?

All I know is Muhammad took child brides, his youngest being 7. Murdered and raped women in front of their husbands. How do you justify that?

Don't drag Christianity into an attempt to justify your outdated laws and actions.

The only terrorists I see everyday, belong solely to one religion.

Enough said.
    A religion that preaches violence and death to the infidels, that is unbelievers like me and the others that choose not to follow a religion.

Try and justify it all you want, we know what you are, so do you. Hush.

17. see thorn u arent intellectual enough to see context and read did i say i am isis ? NO, did i say i am muslim ? NO so my name is like muslim and that makes me a muslim ??? . please go and read history and come back and argue ! you may have Serotonin syndrome. and get a treatment fisrt also !!! enough said thats why kotfe didnt accepted u to there clan !! you are as crazy and psycologically ill as those in ISIS and al-qaida i dont see any difference between u and them. you disrespect and label others as a murderers so the difference between u and isis isnt much you are there cousin !!

18. Easy with the noob rage over their kiddo. ^

Please don't kill me. :lol:

19. I commend OP for running this thread, but I'm going to have to lock it for some of the recent posts which are discriminating and offensive to other users - such as accusing others of terrorism solely on the basis of their opinions on this thread.

Please bear in mind that KaW is global. It is diverse. It contains all religions, beliefs, politics, and ideologies.

I applaud those who posted in the spirit of this thread, and did not start abusing others and their beliefs. That is the spirit of Australian mateship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.