Criminals

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by *Experiment (02), Nov 10, 2014.

1. Hello everybody! As you may or may not know, I'm Josh, and I post bout new and possibly controversial topics to see what the KaWmunity has to say in a debate. I took a break over the summer, but I'm back now, and now, without further ado, I present my latest thread...

Do Criminals Exist?

Most people seem to think the law is the law, and anybody who breaks it should be punished harshly. However, I think most lawbreakers get punished way too severely for what they did. Motive should be looked at before these lawbreakers get punished.

First, I'll start with murder. Most murderers receive a sentence of either life in prison or execution unless they are cleared by defense of insanity or other mental disorder. Any mental disorder like schizophrenia, antisocial behavior disorder (aka psychopathic disorder), or bipolarism should clear a person of crimes if they have seen a licensed psychiatrist who diagnosed the disorder and the person is taking a medication to deal with it. Also, most murders are committed by people who have caught their significant other in a relationship with someone else. These people obviously just let their emotions get the best of them and aren't going to kill anyone else. Is it fair that they're locked up or executed as a result of that?I don't think so. People who obviously aren't going to kill anyone else should maybe get 5 months in prison.

Next, robbery. If a person is in desperate need of getting their bills paid, who can blame them for trying to get money, even if it is in an unlawful way? Not getting bills paid could result in homelessness, begging for food, and possibly even starvation. Also, how about an average person that robs a bank. If a person robs a bank, he/she obviously wants a lot of money, and presumably doesn't want to work ever again. If the person had a bad day and work and was full of rage, should he/she be sentenced to a few YEARS in prison? Once again, in this example, the person let their emotions cloud their sense of reason, and if the person was caught, all that should happen is they are forced to hand the money back. If they try again, maybe a couple of months is sufficient punishment.

Then, we have various other motives. Jealousy is something everybody feels, and when a person feels strongly about something and gets very jealous, they resort to extremes. People shouldn't be sentenced excessively for acting out on jealousy, but rather they should take anger management classes. Revenge is tricky because you would have to consider the first crime with the revenge crime. For example, if a girl left guy 1 for guy 2, and guy 1 vandalized some of guy 2's property. Guy 1 obviously let his emotions cloud his reason, and should only have to pay to remove the vandalism. It is subject to change depending on what happened though.Crimes that happened as a result of taunting or instigating should definitely receive a lesser sentence.

To conclude, I'm trying to say that there is a motive behind every crime. Does the KaWmunity agree with what I think, or does the KaWmunity think anyone that breaks the law is a criminal? Also, what does the KaWmunity thinkof my suggested new lesser sentences? I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say.

2. My eyes hurt. Dem colors..

3. Hippie.. Go tell the victims or the victim's family their killer won't be punished because they won't kill anyone else.. The fact that people like you exist is scary

4. You're welcome. 

5. Thanks Warry, off to read

6. Some people just like to see the world burn.

The topics of your threads aren't what makes them controversial, it's your extremely ****** up views and opinions.

7. No support. But i think ill use the bad day excuse next time i farm someone

8. -DirtyLarry: That shows that the victims' family wants to see somebody who won't kill anyone else killed or basically killed since they can't enjoy life in prison. That would make them no better than the murderer.

9. Firstly, yes, criminals exist. They're people who've committed crimes.

Secondly, mental illness should not completely disregard all crimes committed. Diseases can be faked, as well as the fact that someone suffering from a mental illness does receive special consideration from the courts, with someone pleading mental disability usually being placed into the care of a psychiatric facility, at least in Australia.

Secondly, again this is in Australia, but the defence of provocation (catching someone sleeping with their partner) was overturned and no longer is considered a plausible defence, therefore the court has decided that yes, it should still result in locking away of murderers.

Thirdly, just because someone isn't likely to reoffend, that does not at all excuse murder. Would you be alright with the person who murdered your child being let free because "odds are they probably won't kill anyone else anyway". Jail isn't just about protecting us from them, it's about punishment for the guilty.

10. You are an idiot.. Go hug a tree.. I'm glad you don't have to make any decisions that affect me

11. -Farrcodile: It is true that mental diseases can be faked and provocation isn't an official legal defensem but it would be hard to fool an experienced psychiatrist and provocation often makes a person so upset they get caught up in the moment.

12. Look OP you're missing the point. These crimnals are like that because there just evil people. I mean sure that coukd be the case but what happens when someone constanly murders someone? thats when you know its them just being evil just for fun.[/c

13. -Notorious: Funny how you should call me an idiot without providing counterexamples to prove that my statement was wrong.

14. Someone who gets upset or caught up in the moment and kills someone? Then why the **** would we allow someone who is capable of murder because "they get caught up in the moment" out of prison?

15. -Candy: Serial killers and mass murderers have mental issues.

16. Josh, what issues are they?

17. - Farrcodile: Because they only killed as a result of being provoked by the shock of an unfaithful relationship. These people were harmless before they found out.

18. -Farrcodile: Mainly the ones I listed (schizophrenia, psychpathic disorder, and bipolarism)

19. This feels like a troll...

20. -ShinyPenny: It is not a troll. Like I've done in the past, I post about ideas to inspire a nice little debate in the KaWmunity to see what people think.