Appeals Council

Discussion in 'Ideas + Feature Requests' started by Melissa, Jun 10, 2014.

1. So, quite often we see players complaining about being permanently silenced. Yes, they typically do deserve it if they were able to rack up three silences in the first place; but I believe that some should have another chance. You know, because three isn't enough... But, in all seriousness; some people do learn their lesson. It just might take a few times to drill the rules into their brains.

Here's my idea:
    A council, composed of a select few everyday players. These people would be non-biased, trustworthy, average players. Picked at random for interview to become part of the council. The council would be under NDA so the silenced could not find any way to contact them or figure out who's responsible for the final decision made to either keep a player silenced, or give them their ability to chat again.

Moving on now, say a month or so passes and a permanently silenced player feels they've learned their lesson or would just like to appeal upfront, they can. An option would be available in the feedback section (or elsewhere) to appeal. The player can write up whatever they feel is appropriate as their appeal, and the appeal would be sent to the council members along with records of their past silences. ALL appeals would be anonymous, so that would eliminate bias. From there, the council simply votes to either keep the player silenced, or to not. A tie in votes would just lead to having an ATA support member to view the appeal. Then, they would get the final vote.

To prevent any abuse in the system, a player who appeals and does not get unsilenced, can either stay silenced or wait another month to appeal again. If the second appeal does not pass, they wait two months, and so on.

I think that a system like this would be helpful to ATA by giving them less headaches by letting everyday representatives of the community decide on things.

If you have any feedback or suggestions feel free to piggyback off of my ideas. All types of criticism are welcome.

2. Well thought out.
    The only thing I would add is that those who have committed no further transactions for a year or more should have a strike removed once per year. No point putting someone at risk of perm silence for a two year old silence.

My first silence was after joining my very first clan and was asked to send out multiple adverts day one. Harsh way to learn that spam rule.

Second was first week and a player I was in osw with bypassed on my wall, I returned the favour ( dumb with hindsight ) and was silenced by a mod in their clan. Appealed overturned but on record. Which leaves me on final strike for a two plus ( god knows I forget how long) silly transgression. Many players make mistakes they regret and learn from. But it's far too easy for a new player to be suckered in. Thankfully these days mods don't play the old games of newb rage silences and sniper silences.
    With clan spam rules now its all too easy to have an accident occur with even the most careful planning. Anything malicious should always be a perm silence though.

3. I totally agree with Chaos' view on silences. Too many newbies do fall into the trap of wc spam (ads, hire me or whatever newbie errors) as well as wall rages on their first PvP encounters.

I haven't been silenced on any account yet, but I find that it is easy especially for younger players to fall into the silence trap.

Malicious ones should indeed be perm silences of course.

Fox, your idea is interesting, but there might be a few issues to it. But it definitely would be worth a try.

4. I support this thread, and would like to be the first to offer my services as "Appeals Councillor" .

Being an "Appeals Councillor" would hold a certain distinction in game as a respectful monarch of the community. Like a judge.

Like the VK players, an "Appeals Councillor" would have to uphold some sort of creed and have a snazzy color to grace the game when they post.

5. Hmm. Not quite sure. Yo would have thought that after a 3 months, a person would learn. I did.

6. I support. I had a friend get perm silenced for raging on wc over being farmed and verbally abused. No "3 strike rule" just a perm silence. I would be more at ease being judged by a council of peers rather than the whims of an individual

7. Support.

Id like to be the judge ty

8. This thread isn't showing in active topics for me, but whatever. Thanks for the support, I'd like to see some suggestions too. I know some things would need to be tweaked. I've yet to have a silence myself, but am understanding that it does suck to be permanently silenced. With the whole system bring anonymous, it would give players another chance to redeem themselves. I'm pretty sure it would motivate them to actually want to play as well. I know I wouldn't bother playing if I couldn't talk.

9. Support. After being recently silence for a mods inability to use the English language, it would be better to get an appeal council so if that third time comes about you get a collective decision to see if it was fair, which would include all other past silence information.

10. Funnily enough I emailed them an idea about forgiving one silence per year of no silence. They suggested I raise the idea in forums. I'm all for it.

Your idea: Can not guarantee council will not know the person. Could always have that flaw

11. I like the idea. Keeping people who appeal anonymous and only showing a record of their silences will help the bias issue that ty is talking about.

Combined with chaos' idea this could work well.

12. I was silenced for saying to people putting in emails "gotopimd@GTHO.com" like its a complete joke

13. I like the idea as well,well thought out.Support.

--ReBeL_MaCHiNE--
    Valiant Knight

14. Support 

15. Agree, but what happens if you forgot why you were perm silenced? Or sniper silenced for reasons you don't know? Could you try and appeal an older silence instead of your 24 hr silence? I remember I was perm slinced once on alt a while back, but can't remember why... Just made a new one

16. But either way full support

17. I like the ideal.

Yes, i am permanently silence for the second time, which I honestly think, I don't deserve because the ruling was wrong, so I would love a council to appeal to so they can either explain the reasonings for my silence better or help me solve it and get it removed.

It'll be nice to have a bridge between it, as support doesn't give you any help unless it's a yes or no answer. Which is great in some situations but over silences, like all cases involving humans, it ain't straight forward and it should be innocent till proven guilty not guilty until proven innocent

18. Support. I think anonymity is the key to success. We are too small a community to believe people can be impartial to a known peer or friend. This offers some accountability to the nods without stripping them of authority and may even teach some people to respect them more. There should be strict guidelines for council to follow though, not just "look he said 'sorry!'" Silences are usually avoidable, and 3 are rarely, if ever, undeserved. This should not rule out mercy though, even murderer's can appeal.

I also think there should be a loophole for getting your record expunged. Maybe that can be a council decisionas well. After a certain time frame a player can submit a request to get a silence wiped from their record.