What effect do towers have on plunder?

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by II__flipping_ZERO_burgers__II, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Don't think there's been a proper thread on this and people are always asking where they should build their towers. Hopefully I will help you come to a conclusion.

One day I was meddling with my build and I had 1 land free on HF and one land free on LL. So I decided to do an experiment and see how different setups with level 1 adt on both would affect my plunder bonus from allies. That's Defence Fortress lvl 1 for LL and Red War Citadel lvl 1 for hoarfrost. Here's the results, labelled by result number:

R1. Both lands empty: 42,962,490
    R2. Empty HF, tower on LL: 42,927,317
    R3. Empty LL, tower on HF: 42,784,473
    R4. Towers on both: 42,749,301

I then worked out how much plunder was lost from building either of the towers, with and without the other tower present.

Hoarfrost:
    R2-R4=178,016
    R1-R3=178,017

Lowlands:
    R1-R2=35,173
    R3-R4=35,172

As you can see, the difference was the same irrespective of there being another tower present or not. From this, it would be safe to assume that buying new lands and adding towers of the same type will reduce plunder by the same amount each time. Though this is not the case for buying new spy/att buildings.

Now for the interesting part. I factored in the stats of the towers and compared the results. This calculates the stats gained per plunder lost:

HF tower stats = 225,480
    LL tower stats = 44,550

225,480/178,016=1.26662772
    44,550/35,172=1.26663255

I think we can all agree that the difference here is negligible.

tl;dr/CONCLUSION:
    The plunder that you lose from building towers is directly related to the stats that you gain. It DOES NOT matter where you build your towers.

Towers are considerably cheaper on LL. So, from a price perspective, you want to build on LL, then HL and then HF. If money isn't as much of an issue, you can build them anywhere without worrying if the plunder matters.

EXTRA:
    I also tested for lvl 1 and 3 SOS on LL but didn't think it would be relevant to this thread. Also, I'm aware that I didn't test HL but I didn't want to waste the money and I think it's safe to assume that the mechanics would be the same.

2. Wow thanks for sharing. Every time i put a tower i'm not sure where it must be at max efficiency. I had somehow the intuition that things would be as you described but was too lazy to sit and calculate the exact ratios. That's why my towers are all over LL, HL and HF. It depends on how much money i have out at the moment of building :)

3. neat. :D

you should add a mention of the "opportunity cost" of having towers instead of troops/spies. i.e. you actually lose more than you mentioned because you aren't gaining plunder as you would if you built troops/spies.

4. Should I add some info on that too? Main reason I didn't is that it would be very specific to my build.

5. i was just thinking about a general mention of it. no reason to go into details like :the opportunity cost of not building a coe is "x", a colony is "y", etc.

6. Will add a bit with my SOS figures at some point. To cut it short, I made about 550,000 more with a lvl 3 SOS instead of a lvl 1 tower on the LL

7. Love this post! I've kinda been arguing that towers on lowlands was always a better bargain.

But yeah, in order to allay concerns, you have to show what plunder is lost. For lowland equivalent you'd need to tear down 5 T4s to get the stats of the T6 tower. Compare the plunder diff between 5 CoEs vs 1 ET.

I did this for T5 and found lowlands was the better bargain. But some experienced players disagree.

Anyway, thanks for the insightful post. 

8. I just did this!!! Lol no joke. 2 days ago.
    I only have one troop building left on lowlands.
    Still hit my plunder hard though.

9. Sigh.

50 guilds and I was making 106 mil FH on 3x haunt. One tower in HF dropped me to 98 mil

10. Is this only with level 1s?

11. Very interesting thread; however, after comparing your notes to mine, I found that if I put towers on the LL I lose money and for my build type it does cost more to place them on the frost land, but my plunder is better.

12. @Haze - yes. For my build, that's what a lvl1 HF tower did. Your results may vary. It all depends on where you are on that plunder curve

13. I would only reccomend tower builds if you plan to EE or be in a osw clan. Tower builds are not as strong as they used to be and require a big bfe and or bfa to be really successful in most war settings. Great towered builds today are tanks and turtles, there was a time when HAX0R builds were a desired EE set up

14. Plunder is greatly affected when using a multitude of towers. Its why they are more common for war builds rather than ebs

15. @haze I only used level 1 because it was cheaper and the results are only illustrating what happens. The numbers will vary from person to person but the pattern should remain the same.

@just maker Did you write the before/after figures when you tested? Would be interesting to see...

@haxor please Read more than the thread title before commenting

16. bumping this for some people who want to read...

17. Is this only with lvl 1 towers?
    Because plunder lessens with each tower upgrade as well