♔ KAW MODERATORS ♔

Discussion in 'Other KaW Discussion' started by Wulf, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Before I get into what you need to do to be considered for this position, let me go into a little bit of detail into what Moderators do and what is done to them.
    :!: Please read all of this very carefully to make sure that you are up for it. Being a mod isn't as luxurious as most of you think. Your wall gets swamped with questions and you get to meet lots of unreasonable people.

This thread is for guidance and information only. Any applications posted here will be deleted. ATA is not looking for moderators who don't take time to read instructions. ;)

2. WHAT IS A MODERATOR

[​IMG]
    WHAT IS A MODERATOR?
    [​IMG]
    1. :arrow: Moderators serve, support, & protect the community.
      :arrow: They are VERY familiar with game mechanics.
      :arrow: They are VERY familiar with Terms of Use / Terms of Service.
      :arrow: They answer questions on walls, private messages, in world chat, and the forums.
      :arrow: They uphold the rules of in game by education players, warning, silencing & reporting those who break the terms of use.
      :arrow: They uphold the rule in the forums by deleting posts, locking threads, moving threads to correct sections, issuing warning, & reporting major offenses to the developers.
      :arrow: Moderators are expected to behave in a fair, reasonable, and unbiased manner. They are patient and understanding and do not have a history of loosing their heads.
      :arrow: Moderators do not work on shifts nor are they expected to be active at all hours of the day. But they are asked to have a visible and active presence in the game and to lead by example.
      :arrow: There is no build/stat requirement nor are you required, or expected, to spend a dime on the game.
      :arrow: Moderators are not paid nor do they receive any in game benefits or items that other players do not with the exception of unlimited speakers to facilitate doing their job.
      :arrow: There is a minimum age of 18 for being a moderator. Applicants who are under 18 will not be considered.

3. HOW DO I BECOME A MODERATOR

[​IMG]
    HOW TO APPLY TO BECOME A MODERATOR?
    [​IMG]

When the developers decide there is a need for more Moderators in a certain region of the world then only the most active, knowledgeable, and helpful players are even considered for the position.

Make sure your moderator application is complete and comprehensive. The developers like long, well written eMails. An email stating simply "I would make a good mod" and that's all will not fair well.

There is no template or "check list" for applying to be a Moderator. However, You need at LEAST the following information:

1. First & Last name
      Age <You must be 18 years of age or older to apply. Age will be verified eventually so don't try and lie about this>
      In Game Account Name(s)
      In which Geographic Region (Time Zone) do you live?
      How often do you play? (hours per day - Days per week - times of day)
      What qualifications do you possess that make you a good applicant for the Moderator Role?
      Why does the role of Moderator appeal to you?
      What do you like about the game
    I also recommend that that you consider including the following:
    1. What's your history in KaW? (How long you've played, How much you've progressed game-wise, etc)
      Have you reported players for breaking the ToS before?
      Do you answer a lot of questions on the forum?
      How helpful you are in game, and on the forums.
      Quality of forum posts. (NOT quantity)
      Your forum record (warnings, moderator notes, etc).
      How many times you've been silenced (muted) in game and what were the reasons.
      How many "warnings" you've received on your game account.
      How many and what languages you speak.
      Personal experiences (Job, volunteer, courses, etc).
      Your behavior (how you treat others).
      In Game References (players who would support you as a mod)

Once you have completed your application send it as an eMail to: Support@AThinkingApe.com

EMAIL IS THE ONLY WAY TO APPLY TO BE A MODERATOR.

Please understand that the Developers get hundreds of applications a week.
    They are unable to reply all of them individually.

Avoid sending multiple applications in the same month :evil:

Moderators are not just made because an individual is qualified. The developers must believe there is a need for one n your region of the world. Right now there are a large number of American Time Zone Moderators. If you live in North, Central, or South America your chances of becoming a moderator are extremely slim unless some existing moderators retire.

Moderators must show that that are in it for the long haul. If you have been playing less than 9 months you will likely not be considered for the position.

New Moderators are considered only if they are adults. This is due to the unpleasant subject matters moderators are, on occasion, forced to deal with. If your under 18 your application will not be accepted.

Moderators must have a firm understanding of the rules. If you have been silenced and/or banned (not the same thing) in the past 3 month your application will likely not be considered.

Your application must be eMailed in. If you do not have access to eMail you cannot apply. Applications posted through Feedback and/or Forums will likely be ignored.

4. PLUSES AND MINUSES OF BEING A MODERATOR

[​IMG]
    PLUSES AND MINUSES OF BEING A MODERATOR
    [​IMG]
    1. :D Moderators get 5000 speakers. When they run low they just request more. This is one of the more powerful tools Moderators have as it allows them to answer questions, warn players, spark conversations, and make other players feel included.
      :D Moderators get a shiny Moderator Achievement badge
      :( This achievement badge has no stats or bonuses
      :twisted: Moderators help to protect the 9+ rating of the game by silencing those violate the terms of use. Whether or not they give warnings is up to them but the following is a short list of the most common reasons people get silenced without warning. It is by no means all inclusive!:
      • bypassing the foul language filters by using special characters, misspellings, or spaces to make a censored word visible
        Spamming (Posting 3 or more of the same/similar content messages in 5 minutes).
        Sharing personal information. Note: Saying I am a boy or its my birthday usually gets overlooked. Saying "14 year old girls wall me" is silencable without warning.
        Hate Speech (example: Kill All <insert ace, gender, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, or other characteristic>

:D As a mod everyone wants to be your friend. Moderators get asked TONS of questions. Often around 20 walls/private messages per hour. Quadruple that if you are active in WC.
      :( Many of these questions are: how to become a mod, if you can silence someone for farming or just based on their word, and my personal favorite - so they can ask you if they can ask you a question.
      :D Moderators get a green name in forums
      :( Moderators get hated on for doing their job
      :D Moderators get priority email support and update info from the developers with the trust that we will only release info that the developers permit us to release.
      :( Moderators will still be asked, sometimes several times an hour, when the next update is, what it will include, and will be called liars when we say we don't know.
      :D Moderators have to fill out a short report on every person they silence to legitimize and explain the reasons for the silence.
      :( Moderators still get called trigger happy and haters still imply that silencing is fun.
      :D Moderators are players too who enjoy playing the game and chatting with their clan. They are not expected to be "On Duty" 24/7
      :evil: No one likes a cop until they need one. Moderators get attacked, farmed, stripped, and hated on for doing their job or for not doing their job the way someone felt they should.
      1. For example: I have had 100's of millions of gold stolen, over 100b in allies stripped, was assassinated until I was pinned, had my clan's pWar shut down by assassins pining our OSF, had my wall spammed and hated on. And that was just 1 day.
      Not all days are like that but it is a common enough occurrence that you need to have patience for it if you take the position.

The only in-game difference between a moderator and any other player is the silence button, some extra speakers, and a shiny achievement badge.
    1. Moderators do not get anything in game that you do not get. (except speakers)
      Moderators cannot not do anything in game that you cannot do. (except silencing)
      Moderators do not get free nobility, crystals, gold, or any other perks.
      Moderators cannot give out speakers, nobility, crystals, gold, or any other perks
      Moderators cannot change your name (though we are accused of it)
      Moderators cannot change your clans name (though we are accused of it)
      Moderators do not get paid

Moderators work.
    Moderators must love that work.
    It is a frustrating, yet fulfilling, job.
    It is not a job anyone can do, should do, or would want to do.

Please consider all these things before you apply.
    I also strongly recommend you spend some time with the following thread before you apply.
    A Day in the Life of a Moderator(video&audio) by Corinthian

5. "STATISTICAL" CHANCES OF BEING SELECTED

[​IMG]
    "STATISTICAL" CHANCES OF BEING SELECTED
    [​IMG]
    Here is a fun way to calculate your chance of having you application to become a KAW Moderator considered:

Start with a baseline of 50% (for your activity and knowledge of game mechanics)

Here are some modifiers:
    1. -50% = If you don't deserve that initial 50% :lol:
      -40% = Live in Central or Eastern America
      -100% = Are a minor (under 18)
      +15% = Live in the UK
      +25% = Live in the south pacific
      +35% = Live in Mainland Europe
      +35% = Live in Asia
      -30% = Have been playing KAW less than 6 months
      +10% = Have been playing KAW more than 1 year
      -10% = Have been silenced in past 3 months
      -25% = Have been permanently silenced in the past 3 months
      -20% = Have been Banned from forums
      -30% = Have been Banned from KAW
      +5% = Being Recommended by other players
      -5% = Asking people to recommend you
      +25% = If moderators recommend you
      -20% = Asking a moderator to recommend you
      -100% = You do not have an eMail address
      -100% = Do not speak English (or speak it very poorly)
      • Devs need to be able to understand you.

Note: These statistics are based in about as much fact as other statistics and do not necessarily reflect the decision making process of the Developers of Kingdoms at War
    (in other words I made them up based on my opinion) :mrgreen:

6. HOW LONG UNTIL I FIND OUT IF I GET THE POSITION

[​IMG]
    HOW LONG UNTIL I FIND OUT IF I GET THE POSITION?
    [​IMG]
    You are not made into a moderator just by applying.
    No matter how good your resume is.
    Moderator status is given to people
    as a recognition of a style of play and an attitude that already exists and has existed for several months combined with the support of the community AND only when there is a need for additional moderation within your region.

The Developers get several hundred applications a month (sometimes a week). They simply don't have the manpower to respond to them all. Applications are sorted by region and put on file. When the developers feel there is a demand for additional moderation in a region applications from that region are reviewed for consideration.

Consider.....
    1. Have you been playing for SEVERAL months?
      In that time have you been helpful in Forums and/or in game?
      Are you known within the game by many (outside of your own clan) as a person who will help answer questions?
      Do you report serious violations to the developers, or moderators, when they are missed?
      Do others recommend you by sending in letters of recommendation about you to the developers or posting in forums that you should be a mod?
      Does your style of play and adherence to the ToU reflect that of what is expected of a moderator?
    No?
    Well I can't speak for the Developers but you will probably not become a Moderator any time soon.

How about....
    1. Do you report every little thing in an attempt to make yourself look better instead of to protect the community? (The difference between Reporting and Tattling in my opinion)
      Do you ask others to recommend you?
      Have you been playing less than 5 - 6 months?
      HAVE NO EMAIL ADDRESS
      Were you silenced/banned some time in the past 2 - 3 months?
      Do you send in your application more than once a month?
      Do you report offenses that are not violations?
      Are you a minor?
      Do you live in a region where there are several other existing and active moderators?
      Do you play less than 5 days a week and less than 5 hours a day?
    Yes?
    Well I can't speak for the Developers but you will probably not become a Moderator any time soon.

7. COMMON QUESTIONS AND THEIR ANSWERS

[​IMG]
    COMMON QUESTIONS AND THEIR ANSWERS
    [​IMG]

:arrow: RESET BUTTON DISABLED. If you are linked to a PC Reset there should work. If not then you must eMail the Devs & ask them to ReEnable it. Support@AThinkingApe.com Include Account name & that you are playing KAW. They typically respond within 48 hours. More details on why this happens here: For how to reset when Reset Button says DISABLED

:arrow: WHAT IS MITHRIL? Mithril is an item you gain only from winning wars. You spend it at the Alchemist on spells after upgrading your castle to level 2. You can only upgrade your castle with the 25 land Achievement. Resetting restores castle to lvl 1 & you loose all of your mithril.

:arrow: HOW DO I GET A COLORED NAME. Colored names are spells available from the alchemist. Moderators names are always green in WC for easy reference.

:arrow: WHAT IS FARMING AND IS IT AGAINST THE RULES. Farming is loosely defined as hitting someone 5 or more times within a 24 hour period. It is a social convention and is in no way against the rules. MODERATORS WILL NOT SILENCE FOR FARMING/STRIPPING (buying of allies) nor will we talk to people on your behalf to get them to stop. It’s not against the rules. This is a War Game.

:arrow: HELP - SOMEONE STOLE MY CLAN. No they didn't. You gave your clan away willingly. If you give away ownership of your clan I cannot help you get it back. Ownership is just that OWNERSHIP. Don't get scammed. Never give your clan to someone you don't trust implicitly.

:arrow: HARASSMENT. Harassment is threatening and/or engaging in Cyber Bullying. This is a war game and a certain amount of insulting and smack talk is to be expected. If it goes over the line and becomes hateful or threatens real world violence the that is harassment. Threatening to "Farm you till you reset" or being called a Noob or trolled in forums is not Harassment.

:arrow: SPEAKER REGENERATION. If your account is an iDevice account (created on an iDevice) you will regenerate 5 speakers per day to a maximum of 25 speakers. If you have more than 25 speakers the regeneration stops until you drop below 25 again. PC Only Accounts (accounts created through MochiGames or KingdomsAtWar.com) do not regenerate speakers at all. This is to prevent people from making PC accounts for the sole purpose of spamming WC. If your on an iDevice and not regenerating speakers please report it to Support@AThinkingApe.com.

:arrow: ORACLE STOPPED SELLING TO ME! There is a spending limit in the oracle. Spend over this limit and the oracle will not sell to you any more for 48 hours. This is to protect ATA from credit card fraud.

:arrow: For questions about Account Transfers, Linking accounts, and UDID recovery

:arrow: To read the complete Terms of Use of the game of KAW

:arrow: For questions about Silencing Rules

8. LIST OF MODERATORS

LIST OF MODERATORS

Current Active Moderators
    Wabbsy
    Meisha
    Moose
    PETAL
    YA-_Eagle_-FI
    Inferno
    Iphito
    SouthernSweetie
    Grinch
    Acetown
    RedHotVixen_MaCHiNE
    ___NeLLieL-_ThE--_MaCHiNE_-
    LHL_LegendaryHero_LHL
    Hashirama
    Titan_God
    slayerbob
    PandaGeorge
    Wulf
    Resilience

Former mods:
    Abyssus
    Benny
    Corinthian
    Cowlegend999
    CoS-Dillybar
    ISS_Tigress
    J3abys-in-J3lack
    Jayde
    Kool-Aid
    Majesty
    MrGoodKat
    NaughtyGwen
    -ninja
    P-N-O-Y-BBOYSTATIC
    RozoBastion
    Serpent
    tmh
    Wrathbane
    Wulf
    Yarmes
    BabyCakes
    Bellemorte
    CanadianGal
    Colonial
    Donkey
    Minxy (Melissa)

9. This thread is for guidance and information only. Any applications posted here will be deleted. ATA is not looking for moderators who don't take time to read instructions. ;)

10. If your application is found to be acceptable it will be kept on file for review should an opening occur in your region.
    You may receive followup questions if your application is found acceptable and there is a need.

Applications must be eMailed to Support@AThinkingApe.com

Applications posted in this thread will not reach the developers.

11. That little part about the moderators being fair and reasonable and unbiased...

That part...was great ._.

12. Awesome reader! I'm going to apply soon! Is there a way for you to see when I was last silenced? I don't think I was in this account...

13. What about Australians wanting to send an application our time zone isn't there

14. You may still apply even though it isn't mentioned

15. I would support "senorita" as moderator if she'd aply.

16. You can support who you like without them having to apply. ;)

Id go for slayerbob, or Willy. :)

17. Cenbi a med pkease?

18. That was a bad attention at being a noob :lol:

19. Attempt* (/)_•)