Concerning Chests, freebies, in game purchasing....

Discussion in 'Other KaW Discussion' started by XIXXIIX_monkey-poo_IXIIXXI, Aug 11, 2018.

1. This doesn't just apply to "chests" but anything that can be used as "currency" (per se) that you can purchase through in game purchasing with RL money and applies to any aspect of the game that gives you an advantage in game play ....not relevant in every country. Great Britain & USA not regulated at all and prob won't ever be. Especially in USA, not sure about GB. it's highly regulated in countries like Belgium and South Korea. Anything that turns into law in Belgium has a likely hood of going EU wide. This is an ongoing evolving issue, so ild imagine that ALL game developers are aware of this and proceed with the game development concerning "rewards" with caution...

....the more you know 

2. Great read, I support this thread.

3. "Skin Gambling" refers to items that don't effect gameplay ...look that up, very interesting stuff concerning MMO-RPGs. Makes you realize there's so much more to game development than you'ld realize ...Venom was very inciteful with his thread about his time as an intern for a game developer if you haven't read his thread you should. It will give you insight to how game devs actually think and what motivates them to do what they do and how they do it.

4. China’s Loot Box Regulation 5/17

5. In South Korea just few months ago...

South Korea fines game studios over deceptive loot box odds

5/18

6. Belgian Gaming Commission rules some loot boxes are illegal gambling

4/18

7. ....these "events" with the random drops. Well you see how as business practices these are viewed by regulatory of MANY countries.

It's seen by many as game developers "INCITING OR CREATING NEUROTIC BEHAVIOR SIMILAR TO THAT OF GAMBLING"

...again anyone who hasn't already read Venoms thread on working at one of these mmo game devs please do so.

Once you know the truth maybe just maybe you'll think twice....

8. I was wrong lol ...they will eventually regulate this in both the USA & GB

How the legal battle around loot boxes will change video games forever.

12/17

9. For ATA KAW is strictly for making money, if you read this entire thread and don't think so well.....

Happy KAWing!!! 

10. I blame EA for this.

But seeing how this will affect the gaming industry would be quite interesting.

11. If any VK and or Mods come on this thread being all combative,off topic, and or crappy towards the op will be asked to leave as per forum tou.

I support this thread.

12. I think it's funny how all the dev (establishment) supporters are staying away from this thread.

...everything that's been said in this thread in quotes are the exact same things I've been saying for years now. Two months after HTE came out when Apoc v ZAFT 2 broke out I stated most of this in the thread dedicated to that OSW I said almost verbatim about how devs incite and encourage neurotic behavior among its player base to generate in game purchases and that was way before they even started running events. I said it again when they did start running events with chest drops.

...I was called lunatic hater idk how many times. Where all you people now? Doesn't look like your willing to defend your position anymore ...i.e.: that devs have your best interest in mind/heart and that this is all about "KAWmunity" ....read the thread and still tell me that. Expose yourselves for what you really think.

Hey if I'm wrong come prove it...

Everything I quoted is all over the Internet

13. I've been dealing a lot with securities laws lately for work, and gaming is an area I can't say I'm surprised is getting a whip crack at the moment.

I'm a proponent for odds-of-draw display on anything and everything. But be warned, that approach only adds to the addictive tendencies for some.

I agree it needs to be regulated,but defining it by value is, in my opinion, far too vague.

Transferability
    Sellability (to the first consumer)
    Secondary market presence

For all intents and purposes, things like generic ice and non-specific dirt have value under those tests, but it seems silly that someone would make the market for ice and dirt.

Any digital asset has innate value when considering gaming - perhaps it alters the appearance, maybe it impacts playability, maybe it gives small stat bonuses.

Meanwhile, if MTG were to publish card draw rates, the secondary and tertiary markets could potentially estabilsh a rarity-only based pricing model, completely defeating the purpose of the innate value of a card.

What do you guys think?

I would be fond of seeing drop rates for KaW boxes.

14. I would love to see drop rates too...

It's needed. Some method of measure has to be established to hold devs accountable. As to date all we get are dev support posts from VK/Mods saying their fixing things when they're obviously not.

And there has been issues with drops from events in the past ....yes I agree some accountability would be nice. People spend money on this thing ...I used to. We have to be treated like consumers and have the rights of consumers ....been saying this for a long time now. RL world has caught on ....sorry this little matrix is being blown apart.

~Morpheous

15. This was from one of the early events maybe the second one dated over 3 years ago.....

Notice how two people (both adults I might add) encouraging neurotic behavior ....go through the thread see what else ev1 else had to say about it

16. ....the one thing I was wrong about was I said it wasn't as bad as being hooked on drugs or gambling

I was wrong ...it's the same thing

Not trolling read this thread the regulatory of many many countries have come to this same conclusion and are inacting legislation to regulate.

17. And again read Venom's thread about working as a dev intern

18. Coupled with a little self-control and Common Sense, even with or without posted odds you wouldn't need to take a second mortgage out for a video game.

19. All gambling is regulated Karma ....$1 scratch off tickets are regulated.

A .25 cent slot machine is regulated.

Both of these have ruined lives ....ild agree with what you said about self control and restraint though ....I appreciate your conservative viewpoint on the matter, thanks for posting