Lest We Forget

Discussion in 'Other KaW Discussion' started by AshesOfEden, Nov 11, 2017.

1. In Honor of the Veterans Day (US) and Remembrance Day (Canada), shall we have a Military Service themed Visual Trivia?

A big Thank You to all who have served, all who are serving and all their families. Your courage and sacrifice is greatly appreciated and will always be remembered.

Question 1:

Sept 23rd 1779. 10pm. The moon was rising, but after 3 hours of taking in massive broadsides, Bonhomme Richard was sinking. The Serapis, circling menacingly, offered for acceptance of surrender but this Captain of the fledgeling Continental Navy replies with “I have not yet begun to fight!”.

For he had one more trick up his sleeve. His Cannons may have been gone, but he still had his men, and the men had experience in a fighting tactic that had been practiced in their Pirate days.

The Serapis came in like a sea serpent in this moonlit night, one more time for a broadside. But the hunter had made a big mistake and realized it only too late when Bonhomme Richards tacked to close the gap and the boarding party of buccaneers came through on deck.

Name this Captain who flew this flag on board of the Serapis after he boarded it and took control before his own ship Bonhomme Richards sank.

Question 2:

1941 Burma theatre. World War II had been raging for 2 years but US had not been dragged into it yet. But a group of volunteer airmen took to the skies of Burma in Curtis P-40 Warhawks with an unmistakable nose art.

Name this squadron of the volunteer airmen.

Question 3:

July 1st 1898. Cuba. 1st US Volunteer Cavalry regiment was was faced with a literal uphill battle. But Kettle hill had to be taken and this assorted volunteer group of Ranchmen and Cowboys, under the command of a future president stormed up it.

Name this regiment named after a catchy name that Buffalo Bill coined for his Wild West show.

Question 4:

April 18, 1775. Concord Massachusetts.

”A cry of defiance, and not of fear,
    A voice in the darkness, a knock at the door..”

Name the term for the group of militia who assembled in “a minute’s notice” to action in the Revolutionary War.

Question 5:

June 1, 1863. Combahee River, South Carolina.

”I nebber see such a sight. We laughed, an' laughed, an' laughed. Here you'd see a woman wid a pail on her head, rice a smokin' in it jus' as she'd taken it from de fire, young one hangin' on behind, one han' roun' her forehead to hold on, t'other han' diggin' into de rice-pot, eatin' wid all its might; hold of her dress two or three more; down her back a bag wid a pig in it.”

Name this African-American lady who helped navigate Union Gunboats and a guerrilla commander from Kansas up a treacherous river in the battle and successful effort to free around 750 slaves from the plantations.

Lest We Forget

They were called Minutemen I believe

3. #1 has to be Jack Sparrow

4. Fire.. good answer.. Paul Revere woke them up in the middle of the night and they were in action before sunrise at Lexington and Concorde.

Killer.. The nose art is that of a shark.. the squadron were named after another animal. :)

5. As for the shark nosed planes..

I think they were called Flying Tigers or something like that.

6. Sounds like Hollywood isn’t it?.. The battle, the broadsides and the swashbuckle boarding to take over the enemy ship did actually happened during the revolutionary war.

That flag is one of the very first prototypes of the “new” country.

7. 2: The Flying Tigers

8. I vaguely remember a Serapis.
    Was the captains last name Pearlson or something like that?

9. Lol, I reloaded this thread twice to see if someone had answered question#2 twice before posting, and fire’s post didn’t show!

So, coming in second I instead recommend a book by William D. Blankenship: Tiger Ten.

10. #3: The Rough Riders.

11. What about every other country that remembers their military history 11th of November is the same thing here in Australia

12. Every other country that fought in WW1 or WW2 don't matter Holyschu .... it's only the Johny come latelys that seem to matter

13. Wolf squadron? Pappy Boyaington?

You got me and I won’t use a search engine.