relativity and quantum MECHANICS

Share your game strategies.

Moderator: Kingdoms at War

Re: relativity and quantum MECHANICS

Postby ToddSti1lluvsBacon on Dec 7 2017, 2:56pm

xXD3mOnXx wrote:Big bang is the most likely theory right now, so yes. The universe so far has only expanded, but not at a constant rate. Why couldnt it be finite even if it is expanding? On the contrary an infinite universe couldnt expand, because by definition its already infinite. A balloon is still finite while you're inflating it, even though its expanding. As far as what it expands into, no freaking idea.



...aight I get what you're saying here now but the balloon analogy really doesn't work because you're adding mass to the balloon when you inflate it. So if you're saying this is analogous to what you're saying about the universe expanding then where is the mass that's being added COMING from? 

...if it's not expanding through added mass then what would be making it expand??? ...&/or becoming less dense?? lol
Last edited by ToddSti1lluvsBacon on Dec 7 2017, 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddSti1lluvsBacon
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Nov 12 2017, 2:01pm

Re: relativity and quantum MECHANICS

Postby Yogurt on Dec 7 2017, 3:02pm

This might take a while. And might require its own thread. Give me some time.
Yogurt
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Oct 26 2013, 9:42pm

Re: relativity and quantum MECHANICS

Postby ToddSti1lluvsBacon on Dec 7 2017, 3:03pm

Yogurt wrote:This might take a while. And might require its own thread. Give me some time.


Ok take your time 
ToddSti1lluvsBacon
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Nov 12 2017, 2:01pm

Re: relativity and quantum MECHANICS

Postby Bjorn_Ironside on Dec 7 2017, 3:25pm

Yogurt wrote:Are you guys actually interested in space or are you just meme-ing around? Because I could clear up a lot of this back-and-forth but I dont really want my effort to be wasted if I'm just going to be contradicted by superstition and assumption.


Yeah, i'm actually interested & i don't really follow meme's much lol. It's always good to learn more about this stuff imo. i've gained most of my physics knowledge reading abit here & there, as a hobby, and taking classes through highschool back in the day. i'm no expert by any means obviously, it's just an interesting subject as part of my interest in philosophy on the most part.
Bjorn_Ironside
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Dec 4 2017, 11:54am

Re: relativity and quantum MECHANICS

Postby xXD3mOnXx on Dec 7 2017, 9:44pm

ToddSti1lluvsBacon wrote:
xXD3mOnXx wrote:But if its infinite, it cant actually expand, can it?


lol ...your saying it's becoming less dense right? Idk maybe it's becoming less dense because crap keeps getting sucked into black holes  so if it's finite and everything's getting sucked into black holes wouldn't it be getting smaller and not stay finite? 


And again if it's finite and it's getting smaller (black holes) what's on the outside replacing the missing volume or mass and where the hell is everything going after it gets sucked into the black hole??

Mass can't disappear. A black hole just concentrates the mass. And no, everything isnt getting "sucked into black holes" and the observable universe is not getting smaller, but bigger. Something that gets sucked into a black hole, stays in a black hole.
xXD3mOnXx
 
Posts: 359
Joined: May 26 2015, 10:48am

Re: relativity and quantum MECHANICS

Postby xXD3mOnXx on Dec 7 2017, 9:52pm

ToddSti1lluvsBacon wrote:
xXD3mOnXx wrote:Big bang is the most likely theory right now, so yes. The universe so far has only expanded, but not at a constant rate. Why couldnt it be finite even if it is expanding? On the contrary an infinite universe couldnt expand, because by definition its already infinite. A balloon is still finite while you're inflating it, even though its expanding. As far as what it expands into, no freaking idea.



...aight I get what you're saying here now but the balloon analogy really doesn't work because you're adding mass to the balloon when you inflate it. So if you're saying this is analogous to what you're saying about the universe expanding then where is the mass that's being added COMING from? 

...if it's not expanding through added mass then what would be making it expand??? ...&/or becoming less dense?? lol

You can increase the volume without increasing the mass. As far as the expansion goes again theres many theories. As i said i believe the observable universe is becoming less dense, while the unobservable remains the same. No mass is added, but observable volume increases. I dont think many scientist legitimately believe more mass is being added.
xXD3mOnXx
 
Posts: 359
Joined: May 26 2015, 10:48am

Re: relativity and quantum MECHANICS

Postby xXD3mOnXx on Dec 7 2017, 9:57pm

ToddSti1lluvsBacon wrote:
xXD3mOnXx wrote:
ToddSti1lluvsBacon wrote:@Bjorn ...It's the only reason why anyone studies this stuff or not ...casually or otherwise. Everyone at some point tries to "figure it out". The more you learn the more you discover how much we/you actually don't know...

From what my ignorant monkey brain knows of atm Ild hope that the universe is infinite and ever expanding ...If so and if consciousness is a result of a physical process and nothing else, then Im open to the idea that there's some kind of continuity in consciousness somehow, nothing supernatural of course.

Infinite is much more comforting to me then finite 

But if its infinite, it cant actually expand, can it?



LOL ...idk  but if it's finite then what's outside the universe? What constitutes the boundaries? And just saying its finite but immeasurable is a bit of a cop out. I mean I really don't know (and neither do you) and I'm not trying to deflect with any other question I just don't know 

...so what's outside? If you know enlighten me. 

Id say the universe doesnt have an edge. Its unmeasurable because we dont have the means of observing it as it really is. Just as little as a 2 dimensional being could measure the size of the earth.
Whats outside? Potentially more universes. Who knows?
xXD3mOnXx
 
Posts: 359
Joined: May 26 2015, 10:48am

Re: relativity and quantum MECHANICS

Postby xXD3mOnXx on Dec 7 2017, 10:00pm

ToddSti1lluvsBacon wrote:And that's just it it's all "theories" and nobody really knows squat and anything you I or Bjorn stated is just us parroting what we've heard from somewhere else and pure speculation. Whenever they make a general concensus about ANYTHING it almost always gets torn apart couple/few years later then the general concensus changes again.

Just a theory.. Well, so is gravity. In science, a theory is pretty much the highest standard you can achieve. Also important to remember that someone being proved wrong is almost as good as someone being proved right.
xXD3mOnXx
 
Posts: 359
Joined: May 26 2015, 10:48am

Re: relativity and quantum MECHANICS

Postby ToddSti1lluvsBacon on Dec 8 2017, 2:00am

xXD3mOnXx wrote:
ToddSti1lluvsBacon wrote:And that's just it it's all "theories" and nobody really knows squat and anything you I or Bjorn stated is just us parroting what we've heard from somewhere else and pure speculation. Whenever they make a general concensus about ANYTHING it almost always gets torn apart couple/few years later then the general concensus changes again.

Just a theory.. Well, so is gravity. In science, a theory is pretty much the highest standard you can achieve. Also important to remember that someone being proved wrong is almost as good as someone being proved right.



I hear ya ...but it would help if they weren't so arrogant and explicit in claiming their theories are absolute truth without question  ...just to do a 180 later on. This happens a lot in academia it seems like, especially when it comes to astronomy.
ToddSti1lluvsBacon
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Nov 12 2017, 2:01pm

Re: relativity and quantum MECHANICS

Postby DeDe-Duck on Dec 8 2017, 2:26am

The standing theory is that the universe is expanding by being stretched. This means the distance between any 2 Points in the Universe is increasing - the universe itself isn't expanding into nothingness.

Regarding Blackholes, they are a perfect black body which has such a massive amount of mass that a singularity is formed, the mass doesn't dissapear however, it is compressed or transformed.
This comes from the rules regarding conversation of Mass.
CBR- Cosmic Background Radiation is one of the primary evidences used by scientists for the Big Bang Theory.
DeDe-Duck
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Jan 2 2013, 8:15am

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mammamagic, __B_Knight_J_ and 0 guests