Why did Britain go to war in 1914?

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by Popsical, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Okay, haven't really made a thread in a while, well haven't really been paying attention to the Forums/KAW in a while as college has been keeping me busy, and this topic is something that has interested me for a while, and I thought why the hell not? - yeah yeah I know, sorry for the sob story, anyways onto the story ;)

World War One was a defining moment for most of the developed nations in the world as many see this war as the catalyst for WW2(but that's another story altogether...)

This War shook most developed countries in Europe, and the rest of the World to its core. It would take too long to decide the reasons for every nation in the conflict as to why they went to war, so sorry for arguments sake I will be focussing on the reasons for Britain.

If I get enough support for this thread I hope to make some more, so if you enjoy my style of narrative history and want me to write about your favourite major Historical Event then please ask, I am open to suggestions.

Now without further ado:

Had Britain been preparing for War? and why

(1)Political Preparation.
    in 1907 the British Government had come to the conclusion that the next war in Europe would be between Germany and France(funnily enough the two protagonists of the British Two Power Standard). Britain also believed it could not could not avoid becoming involved against Germany. The main reasons for this conclusion were(1)Britain believed Germany was determined to dominate Europe, which would upset the balance of power and (2)that Germany was determined to expand in pursuit of its "World policy" to which the only territories it could expand into where already owned by Britain.

(2)Military and Naval preparation.
    in 1903 she decided to build and north sea base which would allow her easy access to the north sea and a quick route to blockade the Kiel Canal. In 1906 she introduced a new type of ship the Dreadnought which made all German ships obsolete. This led to a huge arms race between Britain and Germany for the most operational Dreadnoughts. Also in 1906 Britain began secret military talks with France in case of a German invasion of France and in 1914 Britain began naval talks with her old advisory Russia.

This shows that the origins of WW1 spread back way before the shooting of the Archduke.

Did Britain do anything to try and avoid war?
    Grey avoided turning the Anglo-French entente into a classified military alliance, party due to their traditional principles of no long term commitments and partly due the want not to incite France into aggressive moves against Germany. Grey also tried to slow the arms race down by cutting a Dreadnought from the naval programmes. He also negotiated treaties with Germany to settle imperial disputes, resolve disputes over the Berlin-Baghdad railways and to make sure the 1st and 2nd Balkan wars of the time did not escalate.

Was the issue of Belgium the main reason for involvement?
    One of the main principles of British foreign policy was the maintenance of the Balance of Power. Germanys declaration of war on Russia (1st august) and France (3rd august) demonstrated Germany's intention of dominating Europe. Britain would have Gone to war with Germany to maintain the Balance of Power, regardless of the invasion of Belgium. However they did the "scrap of paper" they signed very seriously, and the invasion of Belgium gave Britain a "just" right to enter the war.

Could Britain have not entered the war?
    NO. If Germany conquered Europe then Britain would have been in a hopeless position economically; and France and Russia would have never forgiven her for letting them down. Britain would have been truly isolated and her reputation would have been in tatters. There was more to lose by not joining the war than by becoming involved.

Well I hope you enjoyed your History lesson ;)

if you enjoyed this thread or found it interesting please support and or suggest a theme you would like me to write about in future :D

~Huxley :cool:

2. Re: [MGTD] Why did Britain go to war in 1914?

Interesting read.

Next time, though, I might recommend choosing a topic a little more broad. If you choose something as specific as this, there is little room for people to discuss things without going off topic, unless you want the thread to die quickly.

3. Re: [MGTD] Why did Britain go to war in 1914?

It's MGTD week already? I thought that was in May?

4. Re: [MGTD] Why did Britain go to war in 1914?

i'm not too sure ive had my head under a rock for the past couple of months, but why cant every week be MGTD week? we need as many good threads on the forums as possible, no?

5. Re: [MGTD] Why did Britain go to war in 1914?

Because MGTD is an event. I believe it's actually supposed to be a contest.

6. Re: [MGTD] Why did Britain go to war in 1914?

Thank you! that was the sole purpose of the thread, have you got any subjects you would like me to write about? :)

7. Re: [MGTD] Why did Britain go to war in 1914?

We've hijacked it

8. Re: [MGTD] Why did Britain go to war in 1914?

Ah well, but surely what MGTD stands for should hold true? the Make a Good Thread Day? I believed I had made a good thread which would be interesting to the community and as I had no clue it was a competition or when it was run :)

9. Re: [MGTD] Why did Britain go to war in 1914?

Yes, it's a competition. But others that miss out on it typically like to throw it on there for some reason. Not saying you are, just, this isn't the first it's been brought up. Considering you don't need to label it.

10. okay well as people seem to disaprove of my label to the thread (sorry if I innacurately put it up there, I see its a touchy subject for some :( ) ive edited it so please guy no more hate ay?

11. Why are idiots criticising the fact op put mgtd infront of this thread......oh yeh its cause they are the same morons cluttering active topics with the same pish day in day out.

Op this was a great read I hope to see more from u on more historical events.....good job

12. Thank you vey much PARSFAN, if you have any historical events you wish me to write about please hit me up :)

13. As an interesting side note the arrival of HMS dreadnought also made the whole of the existing royal navy's battleships and battle cruisers obsolete. In one step they ensured a massive Arms build up.
    Every country needed Dreadnought class battleships so to maintain the Royal Navies dominance they needed build a whole new fleet.

14. Same pish? What's a pish? I haven't even made a thread in a while. I wasn't critiquing the OP in anyways. I thought I missed a MGTD competition. I asked a question and replied to an answer. So unless you're gonna make some big point, kindly do not speak about me unless you actually 1) matter or 2) are relevant to the conversation that took place because at this point in time, neither apply to you.

15. Yes you are exactly right as Britain wanted to maintain her 2 power standard which would mean her navy was as big as the next two biggest powers combined, and is the reason why the naval arms race between Germany and Britain was so fast.

16. Interesting read

17. Nice read buddy, look forward too more of them. (Also if you need someone to proofread them you know how yo reach me) I like your layout of how you present your points.

***edit***
    Also an idea for future threads could be:
    The Mexican American war
    WWII
    Or a crossroads/backroads recruitment thread

18. Maybe something that has more of a debate in it like a who was jack the ripper

19. thank you:) any thoughts on what event you would like to read next? :)

If I get no submissions for events I will write about the Russian Revolutions of 1917

20. This was something good to read, ty brave, I look forward to reading more