Comprehensive Guide to KaW

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by NotTom, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Comprehensive Guide to KaW

Introduction
    Welcome KaWers, new and old, to NotTom's comprehensive guide to Kingdoms at War. This guide will contain explanations of almost everything that I know about KaW, and links to other threads that I find helpful.

First off, this guide is mainly aimed at new players to help them learn the game and want to stay and play with us, so some of the things I explain may seem obvious to older players but will hopefully help new people. I recommend that new players read the entirety of this guide before acting on any information given. So without further ado, here comes the guide.

The Beginning
    This section of the guide is aimed at people in their first week of playing, so please appreciate that these ideas may seem simple but are explained in detail to help newbs understand, and hopefully get enough enjoyment from KaW as I do.

New Player Package
    KaW recently introduced a new player package to help new players grow when they first join - this includes:
    All Lowlands Unlocked!
    • This means that the first 25 lands (including the one with your Castle on, are unlocked and ready for you to build on. This also means that you can access the strongest buildings that are available for the lowlands, however to start with these will be too expensive and you must build some weaker buildings first in order to make enough gold for these more powerful buildings. Read the next section of this guide for help on what to build.
    10 Health Crystals!
    • These are used in the Oracle to fully regenerate your troops and spies, and are commonly referred to as "xtals" by players. I would highly recommend saving these xtals for later use once you make a bit more gold per action, using them off the bat is a waste.
    100 of each of the first item (commonly referred to as "pots") in each section in the marketplace!
    • 100 Elixir of Rage: This is the first attack item available in the marketplace. Attack pots are used to give more power to your troops when attacking another player or Epic Battle.
      100 Elixir of Vitality: This is the first defensive item available in the marketplace. Defence pots are used to help your troops defend against attacks from other players, but they do not render you invincible so don't be too shocked if people still win hits on you.
      100 Sleeping Potions: This is the first spy attack item available in the marketplace. Spy attack pots are used to help you win spy actions (Scout, Assassinate, Steal) against other players and Epic Battles.
      100 Mist of Confusion: This is the first spy defence item available in the marketplace. Spy defence pots help defend your kingdom against spy actions from other players, but they do not render you invincible so don't be too shocked if people still win hits on you.
      Many items available from the marketplace can be used to hit item phases in Epic Battles, but more on that later.
    2x Gold Bonus for 7 days!
    • This is really the best part of the New User Package: it grants all new players the ability to make 2x as much gold as they normally would during their first week of playing - more gold = faster growth, faster growth opens up more areas of the game such as enchantments.

Grey name colour!
    • This identifies you as a new player so that more experienced players know that you may need guidance, and/or a volley!

Initial Growth
    When you first start, their is not really any developer given guidance on how to start building. In KaW, there are three main types of build: Attack build, hybrid build and a hansel build. I will explain these in detail later on, but for now it is unnecessary. New players must focus on making gold rather than what build type they want to be for at least the first week of them (you? :) )playing.

Now, I'm not claiming that there is a right way and a wrong way to go about this, but this is the way I did it when I first joined and how I started each of my alts (well, almost. When I joined there was no new user bonuses so I have updated the method to cater for that, and have tested it on a new alt I recently started.)

First:
    • Get volleyed until you have hopefully around 100million or more gold. To be volleyed means to be hired back and forth between two or more players which makes them profit, and you get a small cut (limited to a max of 1million per hire). When you are volleyed the cost to hire you goes up.
    Second:
    • Build 5 guilds and upgrade each of them to level 2 and build 19 Forges and upgrade all of them to level 2. Then find a clan running Epic Battles (often shortened to 'EB's) that are small enough to hit. Ask in World Chat (shorted to wc) for a clan running "B2B TFO" (TFO is shorthand for "The Forgotten Ones - it is an easy to it eb that pays very well for new players, especially if they hit the item phase - see the eb guide I linked to later on to learn more). Keep hitting ebs and buying allies. Buying allies is a key aspect to growing as they help you to make more per hit on EBs. Once you have bought a 1bil ally move on to the next step.
    Third:
    • Keep hitting EBs and upgrading your Forges and guild until all of your Lowlands are made up of level 3 forges and level 3 guilds. After each upgrade check if you are at max plunder (MP). To do this, attack the EB once and make note of your 'Bonus from Allies' value. Hire an ally then attack thr EB once more. If your "Bonus from Allies" value increases, repeat until ti does not. Once it stops increasing, you are at max plunder. MP is essential for growing. Now, this is when you need to decide what type of build you want. I will explain the different builds later on. Once you have reached this stage and made the choice of what type of build you want, start switching out your guilds and forges for more expensive buildings (ones that cost 3 billion each to build at level 1) and then upgrade them until your Lowlands are maxed out. This is called being LowLand Build Complete, shortened to LLBC. It will take around 3-4 weeks for a free-to-play user to reach LLBC; pay-to-play users will get there much faster, of course. After you are LLBC, start exploring your Highlands and building on them. I would recommend opening lands and building a level 1 HL building until land is more expensive than the upgrade. By this point you will have made some friends and will have joined a clan doing decent EBs, so they will guide you on how to grow from here.

Note: H A R V E S T E R S has been a good starting clan for my sister, I haven't started any new alts in awhile so I don't know any good ones myself.

Builds
    In this section I will explain in as much detail as I can each of the main build types; attack, hybrid and hansel.

Note: Towers to not play a part in calculating what type of build you are. All percentages given refer to the percentage of buildings which train troops to buildings which train spies. Gold out = gold available for that player to spend i.e. the value of gold at the top of your screen.

Attack Builds
    • An attack build is any build with less than 25% spy buildings.
      • Mechanics:
        Attack builds cannot be stolen by hansels when they do not have any gold out, however they can be attacked by any build type whether they have gold out or not.
        Attack builds cannot attack hansels if the hansel has 0 gold out.
      • EB Plunder
        Attack builds make more gold on their first attack on Epic Battles than their last hit. This is because the number of soldiers you are sending with each hit reduces as they die, so naturally less soldiers means less gold can be retrieved. Attack builds spy actions do not generate much plunder, however they are perfect for quickly demolishing a spy bar on an eb.

Hybrid Builds
    • To have Hybrid mechanics, a build must have more than 25% attack buildings and more than 25% spy buildings. How much more than 25% of each you have is personal preference as to which areas you would like to be strongest.
      • Mechanics
        Hybrids can attack hansels even when they have no gold out, which is their main advantage over attack builds. However, hybrids can be be stolen by hansels even if the hybrid has 0 gold out. To avoid being stolen by hansels, a hybrid has to have both 0 gold out and under 20% spy bar level.
      • EB Plunder
        Hybrid build EB plunder depends on whether the build is spy heavy or attack heavy, but for the most part people choose attack heavy so their EB plunder mechs are pretty much the same as attack builds; make more gold on their first attack on Epic Battles than their last hit. However their spy actions do generate a slightly larger end payout than those of attack builds.

Hansel Builds
    • To have hansel mechanics, you must have under 25% attack buildings.
      • Mechanics
        Hansels can attack any type of build, so long as that account is not in pin and has troops. Hansels cannot be attacked by attack builds if the hansel has no gold out, but can be attacked by hybrids whether they have gold out or not.
      • EB Plunder
        Hansels have a far higher "Bonus from Allies" value per attack on EBs than attack or hybrid builds, but they make less gold on their first hit on the EB. However, due to hansels being mostly spies, their spy actions generate a lot of additional plunder that is rewarded at the end of the EB. This means that hansels make more gold overall than attack or hybrid builds.

Extra: Pure Spy build. Purespies are builds that have only spy buildings. I would not recommend this build as they make hardly any gold on EBs, hindering growth significantly.

Epic Battles
    Epic Battles are effectively in-game gold mines. They do not hit back and are basically a free source of gold (although there are epic battles that cost real money to participate in which pay far more gold, but most EBs are free to play). Epic Battles are challenges that you must complete as a clan for gold and items. EBs have many different 'bars' that must be defeated in different ways to win the EB. If the EB is defeated within the set time-limit, all participants are rewarded extra gold for their efforts, and from some EBs pots and Equipment that can be collected and equipped. A comprehensive guide to Epic Battles created by Chocolate23 can be found here. Refer to that to learn how to complete each EB and what drops (pots, equipment, etc) can be gained from them.

Ally Trading
    Now, this comes down a little to trial and error and finding what works for you, but I will give a brief description on how to do this. Essentially what you want to do is find an ally with high stats in comparison to others at the same price as it. Once you hire this ally, there's a good chance someone else will hire it away from you. When this happens you make a profit. Ally trading can be a good way to earn extra cash, once you get good at it anyways. ;)

EE Wars!

EE Wars are by far the most exciting aspect of KaW - I will explain some common terms used in EE and some basic techniques that you can use, as well as the different types of war.

War Terms
    WC
    • War Commander. A WC is a volunteer who tells each player what they need to do in order to help the team win the war. Show respect to the WC and the Tracker.
    Tracker
    • A volunteer who keeps track of enemies who are in KO, Window, or Up.
    CR
    • Clan Roster - All warriors use CR numbers to denote targets rather than typing names, as it is faster and cleaner to do.
    KO
    • Knock Out - When your (or an enemy's) troops and spies go to zero, you are knocked out. When knocked out (KO'd) one is no longer able to be hit until one comes up. When you KO an enemy you steal 10% of their Plunder which greatly benefits your team.
    UP
    • An enemy who is Up is available to hit
    Window
    • The time frame in which an enemy could possibly come out of KO. The window times vary depending on the KO type (explained below).
    SB
    • Scout bomb - repeatedly scout an enemy over and over until they have zero spies.
    AKO
    • Attack KO - when you knock an enemy out with an Attack, it pays you far more gold than a regular KO e.g. with an assassination or scout, etc.
    ADP
    • Attack Defence Pots - unless you have good attack defence towers, you should not own any of these as they make you pay better to the enemy.
    SDP
    • Spy Defence Pots - unless you have good spy defence towers, you should not own any of these as they make you pay better to the enemy
    Plunder (plunder score)
    • The amount of gold you/your team have made during the war. The team with the highest plunder wins.
    SKO
    • Self Knock Out - if you zero your own troops and spies by hitting an enemy, you knock yourself out. This is beneficial because the enemy team receives a far smaller fraction of your plunder score than they would if one of them were to have knocked you out. The easiest way to SKO is to attack until your troops are all gone, then assass once, scout once then steal without spy attack pots. This lets me SKO 9/10 times even if I have lots of people spamming me.
    Spam window
    • This means you should keep trying to attack people in the Tracker's 'Window' list even if they are down. It will allow you to hit them and hopefully KO them the moment they come up.
    Sit
    • To 'Sit' on someone means to spam them whilst they are in KO and hit them and KO them the moment they come up.
    Control
    • To have control means that more of your team is up than the enemy's and you are sitting on their repins to KO them when they come up.
    Repin
    • A repin is someone who has just come out of KO and is prime for being KO'd and giving you a juicy plunder bonus.
    Pin
    • Another word meaning to be in KO
    Wave
    • Used in advantage KO to mean to all come up at once, normally on the same person.

KO Types

Classic - 10 Minutes
    • This means that someone who is KO'd (or SKO'd) will be in KO for exactly 10 minutes. There is no window in this war type; they will be forced to come up at the 10 min mark, making this the easiest war type to win if you gain control.
    Random - 5-10 Minutes
    • This KO type means that people will be in pin for a minimum of 5 minutes and a maximum of 10 minutes, and will come up randomly (out of their control) at a time between 5 and 10 minutes after they went down. This means that the window length is 5 minutes and they enter the window after having been down for 5 minutes. This is my personal favourite KO type.
    Advantage - 7-13 Minutes
    • In Advantage KO, players can choose when to come up after they enter the window - as soon as you are in window, the moment you do an action on someone on the enemy team who is up, you will come out of KO. In this war type the window begins after they have been down for 7 minutes and lasts for 6 minutes. At the end of this 6 minutes, they are forced up if they had not already come up by choice.

War Types

Individual Wars
    • To sign up for an individual war (iwar) you simply visit your profile, hit sign up and leave your clan before the sign up period ends. Soon after the sign up period ends, you will be placed into a randomly build team of players similar to your size who have also signed up and will be matched against a similar clan.
    In iwars, BFA/BFE (I'll explain what those are later) are turned ON and DTW/DTS are turned OFF.

Round Wars
    • To sign up for a round war you need to cast Wave of Conflict (WOC) (found in the alchemist) and be in a clan with other people who have casted WOC, the amount of peopel needed to sign up your clan is shown in the War Schedule. Once you have enough people with WOC casted, an admin can sign your clan up for the war. After the sign up time has ended, your clan will be matched against another clan of similar strength. The advantage of Round wars over iwars is that it allows you to war with friends and people you trust rather than strangers. In Round Wars BFA/BFE are turned ON and DTW/DTS are turned ON

Primal Wars
    • The sign up process of Primal Wars is identical to that of Round Wars, the key difference being that in Primal Wars BFA/BFE and DTW/DTS are all turned OFF. These are personally my least favourite type of war as they only allow you to use one third of your stats, rather than your build, your equipment and your allies like both Round and Indi do.

BFA/BFE
    BFA
    • Bonus from Allies. This is the stat bonus gained from your hired allies, and is static - it does not reduce as your troop levels reduce like your building stats do. To work out what your BFA is worth in terms of CS, simply divide the numbers shown on your ally screen by 50 (BFA is worth 2% of the stats it gives in terms of CS. Alternative method would be to multiply the values by 0.02)
    BFE
    • Bonus from Equipment. It is also static (except for equipment which give stats as a % of your build's strength, then that equip's strength goes down with your troops/spies strengths) and can be calculated in the same way.

DTW/DTS
    DTW
    • Defender too Weak - if you are too big to attack someone you will get an error saying that they are too small - this is to prevent huge players bullying small ones. Can also mean that the person you are attempting to hit is in pin (outside of EE wars this means below 20% troops)
    DTS
    • Defender too Strong - essentially the opposite of DTW; if you are too small to hit someone you will get an error stating that the defender is too strong.

The Last Word

Thanks for reading! If you feel I have missed anything please leave a comment and I will try to update to include anything I have missed. Hopefully this guide will help new players get an overall view of how to start off in the game without having to go searching through forums for multiple different guides.

Also, sorry for lack of pictures I'm not forum-savvy enough to know how to post any, though I think in this case they were not necessary.

2. No support as soon as you told the noob to build it went down hill from there. If you are a new player do NOT follow this guide it will stunt your growth rapidly!

3. hmm. nvm. i've always been a hybrid and honestly had no idea that the specialized builds had weird limitations.

4. Scumbag, you have repeatedly proven to be a moron in everything you comment on. Please stay off my thread.

5. Wow, you put a lot of effort into this forum. Support! I feel like newbies will appreciate this.

6. Now I knew wars better :lol:
    Thanks for the complete guide I'm searching for war guides yet I haven't found one :p
    If I have chat with a newbie I'll tell him/her to go into this thread :)

7. Nice effort and thread.

8. Well done Tom! Literally the best started guide I've seen in at least 3 years!

9. No support

10. Thanks all xP except Larry. Larry sucks :/

11. Good job 

12. No your thread just stinks! It's a terrible way to start a account the way you described! What they need to do is not build! They need to sell those pots too ! And start flipping allies until they can afford something decent and actually be a max plunder. You idea of telling them to build straight away is terrible absolely terrible. In future do not even attempt to "help noobs" if what you are offering is a stunt growth guide and the grind of a lifetime. Or alternatively get a time machine and go back 5 years and start there :lol: you might actually be able to do something

13. ^ what happen to him?.......

14. Applaud the effort to help newbs. What are we gonna do about all the nubs, however?

15. Just a skim but your hybrid mechs are missing some things.

Also, a volley giving a noob 100mil gives them a build strong enough to atk most T2 EBs - Warbeasts is a joke - Find a TFO and hit items. Way better pay.

16. Help you protest to devs?.....
    The more the merrier :p

17. K.

Support to NotTom

18. Okay, thanks for the input I will update that section :)