Scrolls, math, ... and bad planning by the devs

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by Thanatos-Korgano, Nov 21, 2014.

1. So, most folks I've talked with agree that scroll drop rates suck. That is basically a given. However, I starting wondering over the last few weeks..."how much do they really suck and what is a realistic expectation for getting the bone dragon equip unlocked?"

That idea/question kept bugging me to the point that I did way too much research, way too much math, and now am going to write up this way too long forum post. If you don't want to read all of this (and I can understand why not) then here are the conclusions:

1) Scroll drop rates from SS, TS, and AFF are in fact just as horrible, or worse, than you think they are.
    2) Unless the devs massively change the drop rates, you will never realistically unlock all of the bone dragon equip.
    3) The devs apparently failed to give the drop rates any meaningful thought before releasing these ebs (this is not surprising).

This post is not about how the bone dragon equipment sucks (it does for the most part) or asking for the devs to increase the drop rates (they really should, and by a LOT). This is simply my neurotic need to actually get a feel for the reality of scroll drop rates and the likelihood of unlocking the completely mediocre/useless equip.

So, in order to avoid the statistical issue of small sample size as much as possible, I pulled total scroll drops per eb from a number of clans for SS, TS, and AFF. Because some forum users are data Nazi's, below are the clans, ebs done (all in last 13 days of history), and number of scrolls dropped. (This is total scrolls dropped, not number of drops, so double and triple drops are accounted for)

Sucker Punch
    SS 9 8
    TS 4 6 1 10 4 1 3 1 7 6 1 3 3 4 7 4 2 6
    AFF 6 2 3 5 5 3 7 6 2 4 4 5

Knock Out (SP Sub clan)
    SS 8 10 10 12 13 13 7 13

Secret Service
    SS 4 8 6 8
    TS 9 5 1 3 6 13 2 5 6 7 3 3
    AFF 1 3 2 1 1 2 2 2 1 8 3

No Drama
    AFF 7 3 3 5 5 6 7 2 4 3 5 4 4 6 6 5 5 3 0 6 2 9 4

Once We Were Noobs
    SS 6 6 6 6
    TS 8 5 2 9 5 2 2 2 4 4 12 4
    AFF 5 5 6 3 3 6 4 3 5 5 0 4 3 6 6 10 3 6 1 1 3

Theology and Geometry
    SS 13 4 7 9 8 3 6 6 7
    TS 5 5 7 14 3 1 7 5 5 4 5 8 1 8 3 3 5 3
    AFF 3 3 7 3 6 1 3 4 4 2 6 5 5 1 0 4 3 3 5

Assuming I have typed those all in perfectly, that is a total of 173 bone dragon eb's done, 27 SS, 60 TS, and 86 AFF. I also looked at a number of lower strength clans and found that in general, slower/longer ebs do tend to drop 1 or 2 more scrolls per eb in general. However, given that the eb takes 9-11 hours, you're actually going to see a much lower chance of a scroll drop over time even though you may have a larger chance of getting a scroll in any single eb.

So, here are some quick things to take from the data to start.

Smoke Signals
    In 27 SS done, there were 216 scrolls dropped for a drop rate of exactly 8 scrolls per eb. SS drops the most scrolls per eb by FAR. However, a decent portion of that (probably around 2-3 per eb) is the double drop of talon ring scrolls...so once you have the ring enchanted, the drop rate becomes just about a bad as TS and AFF for the remaining equip.

The Summoner
    In 60 TS done, there were 287 scrolls dropped for a drop rate of 4.78 scrolls per eb. TS drops WAY less scrolls per eb than SS, and again, the drop rate is somewhat inflated by the double or triple drops of mesmeric ring scrolls. Just like SS, once you have the ring, the drop rate becomes really bad for unlocking the rest of the TS equip.

A Familiar Foe
    In 86 AFF done, there were 338 scrolls dropped for a drop rate of 3.93 scrolls per eb. AFF drops the least number of scrolls per eb which makes sense as there are no double drops like the rings in SS and TS.

Bone Dragon Series
    Overall, of the 173 eb's charted, there were 841 scrolls dropped for a total eb series average of 4.86 scrolls per eb. This is current data. This is after the devs specifically have said in forums, 2 or 3 different times, that scroll drop rates have been increased. I looked at a large number of other clan eb histories and although I did not chart the results, the drop rates were about the same. As stated above, slower eb's dropped a bit more it seemed but the end result over time is worse....cuz it's slower. duh

So, onto some fun math (or not fun really... in fact, it's equal parts annoying, depressing, amazingly stupid by the devs). Some basic things that I saw in the review of all of the clan results:

Most clans seemed to have an average of 85 active participants in the ebs. This varied somewhat but in general, 85 active per eb was around the middle ground.

The average time for completing the eb's varied quite a bit from the strongest clans (2-3 hours) down to those who finished them just in time. In general, it appeared that the "average" good sized clan could get through about 4 per day if they did them b2b, of which, any given clan member would likely be active and hit in 3 of the 4.

So....given an average of 85 active hitters with a drop rate of 4.86 per eb, you have about a 1 in 17.5 (actually 17.4897) chance of getting a single scroll per eb. Or, phrased differently, you can expect, on average, to get one scroll dropped to you for every 17.5 bone dragon eb's you do.

Unfortunately, you'll need 75 scrolls to unlock the currently released equipment. Helm requires 9 scrolls, Armor 9, Gloves 11, Boots 10, Weapon 10, Trinket 9, Talon Ring 8, Mesmeric Ring 9.

So, if you got exactly the scroll drops you needed (no duplicates of what you already have enchanted), you would need to do 1,312.5 bone dragon eb's to unlock the equip. (17.5 eb's per scroll X 75 scrolls needed = 1312.5 ebs) At a rate of 3 per day, if you hit every single day non-stop, it would take 437.5 days or 1.2 years of constant bone dragon eb's to unlock the equip.

However....no one gets perfect scroll drops. In fact, most folks get a stupid number of scrolls for equipment they already have enchanted. Myself, for example. I have 4 main accounts which have a total of 193 scrolls that have been dropped. Of those 193, 50 are duplicate scrolls, mostly ring scrolls, that are just sitting there doing nothing. So, almost 26% of the scroll drops I have seen, have been useless because they are for equip I already have enchanted.

If you have a drop rate of duplicate scrolls equal to mine, you need 1,652.4 bone dragon eb's to reach the full 75 scroll mark. (1312.5 eb's if perfect X 126% for needed scrolls and the 26% useless ones = 1652.4 ebs necessary) At that same rate of 3 per day.....every day.....over and over.....it would take 550.8 straight days of bone dragon eb's or 1.5 years almost exactly.

550 straight days!!! 1.5 years of non-stop bone dragon eb's!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahhha!!! And that's just for the existing equip. Add another eb or two with more equip and you'll be approaching 2 years of eb's to unlock it all.

So, now you can stop generalizing and saying "dang, scroll drops sure seem to suck" and instead say with certainty, "holy ****, scroll drops are really, actually, horrible".

And maybe, just maybe, one of the devs will read this and say, "dang, we should've considered this when we released these, we should triple or quadruple the scroll drops since the equip is mediocre and already outclassed by the equip we have given away in promos. And heck, since we're fixing this, let's bump the stats from the equip too."

2. U sir have way too much freetime

3. yes, and insomnia. end result is the same though. haha

4. and it is appriciated.
    thanks op

5. Thank you for finally putting this to rest with some hard numbers.. We all knew drops suck, but based on the numbers, I need to get some of that the devs are smoking 

6. Reading this and hearing math that makes sense about how bad the drop rates are... it actually made me sad..

7. I have done TS a number of times this past summer/early fall...I have received ZERO scrolls. Although SS likes me for some reason as I have the ring maxed, but now have 7 MORE ring scrolls, and 3 of the other 2 SS relics.

And on top of that, 4 SS in a row I got the damn ring scroll!!!

Plunder wise I have higher than TSG, but the scroll drops are practically non existent.

8. Eb equipment is free. ATA is a business. If free content was easy to achieve, and if it was actually good, there would be no need to spend money on "pay to win" content. Which means ATA would make less money per day.

If you dont want to spend money for nice eq and fast growth, youll have to spend something more valuable to have a powerful kingdom, which is time. Either way you look at it, its not worth the effort.

Everyone who plays this game is basically trading hard earned cash or valuable time for an inexistant, intangible product.

9. Good work OP. I think the devs have given up on this equip series.

10. I have to agree, well done. Really interesting seeing the numbers. I knew it wasn't good drop rates, but I didn't know exactly how bad. And this is pretty bad.

11. Other equip is much better. Just enjoy the plunder, scrolls don't matter. Equip is already inferior and only gets more useless with each even and war season.

12. Nice work calculating and putting this out. Hard part is devs don't care about this at all. They only care about escapes and seals and ways to make ppl use more xtals. What other ppl are complaining does not matter to them. devs

13. This is fantastic. send it to the devs.

14. Thanks for all the effort :)
    I myself was thinking of getting all dragon equip, now I may have to think again :/
    DEVS PLEASE HEED TO OUR ADVICE AND INCREASE THE FREAKIN SCROLL DROP RATES ;D

15. What are these scrolls you speak of?

I've done around 50 SS, I have one scroll lol.

16. So, now that we're done with hte promo and pvp promo (hopefully only for now), you devs wanna take a look at those drop rates and make a change? eh? maybe? ....