Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.9

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by Harrian, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Hello everyone! I've come bringing some unfortunate news. It seems through all the information I've dug up it's not possible for me to implement the auto copy feature the same way it was in the original program.

However I feel like this is time for the program to evolve into something more than it was previously. I've talked before about possibly making a viewer interface, where fellow war members could view the tracking data but not edit it. I believe now is a good time for that feature to make it's debut on this platform. I just made this decision to move forward in this direction yesterday so I don't quite have a mock up yet but rest assured this is something that will move forward soon!

Thank you all for your time,
    Harrian

2. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

I would have a data base for people to log in and claim one as their own, then invite other users by username.

3. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

I'm probably going to use a facebook connection, because I don't the service to get bogged down by some funny guy who wants to write a script to create wars over and over until my server crashes. This way a single facebook account is only allowed a single war instance. After that I'll probably use a secure hash method to generate a unique url for that user to share with his clan members every time he requests a war instance. This will prevent people from viewing past urls when warning against a tracker they've been allies with previously.

4. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Hey guys, I've got some more preview images for you today! Here's what the tracker will see when coming to the website!
    This is before login and also before a war has been generated:
    [​IMG]
    This is after login and after a creation of a 50 person war!
    [​IMG]

Note that even though your Facebook first and last name are displayed on the page this is only for the user to know who they're logged in as and also to verify that something didn't go wrong on Facebook's end. I do not store that information in anyway. The link is generated via a secure hashing method that is done in real time without any storage of personal information. It is also important to note that the tracker will completely function without any issues if the user does not wish to connect his/her personal Facebook with the site just that the viewer page will not be available.

Just to be clear, I'm only using a war of size 50 to demonstrate the functionality. Wars can be any user entered size; however if the viewer is enabled then only the first 300 entrants will be seen by users using the view link. This due to database restrictions I've put in place for security reasons.

For development I am developing on a VM within my internal network which is my you see an IP address in my address bar instead of something like example.com. This will change to an domain name in the near future.

Thank you all for your time and I hope this progress get's you as excited as it does for me,
    Harrian

5. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Support  I used your program for the first time just recently and it was great :)

6. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

I don't use Facebook :(

7. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

That's fine, you don't need to use Facebook at all. You just need to have an account!

As to why Facebook integration at all, It's the simplest and most effective method to ensure my server doesn't get overloaded and so I don't personally overload. The other option is for me to code my own login procedure and account creation methods. Which is a time consuming task, especially if I am to make sure the data is properly secured. Even if I do all that, a single person could take down my server because it's easy to register a million gmail accounts then use them to register through my service. However with Facebook this not much of a problem because of the steps they take to combat fake accounts. It would be difficult for a single person to register 10 Facebook accounts with my platform from the same IP without some red flags going off on my end and Facebook's. I also want to have this together in a timely manner. The login is solely for security. Now if A Thinking Ape had some kind of API for me to grab the the username of the user that's logged in that would be a different story.

You may be thinking how does this secure anything? Well unfortunately it's a bit complicated to explain but I'll give it a quick jab. Basically, without any sort of login for the web application, a single user could just craft some page request script to spam my server with war creations and bring it down. Illegal? Yes. Frustrating and an immediate reason for anyone using the app to go to another tracking method? 100% Yes.

Another question you maybe think about is this: "Okay I understand that, but why does this needed for ability for others to view? Isn't this something that was required before?" Fortunately the explanation here is much easier and straight forward. Basicly without the view functionality the program could run entirely in client side code. Which means I didn't have to store any data on my server. All I had to do was serve up a single webpage.

Finally remember I'm a 4th year student, taking classes over the summer, working two jobs, and trying to make enough time for myself to keep my sanity!

I hope this helps make things more transparent,
    Harrian

8. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Hey guys just posting a small update, I've taking a bit of a break because of personal reasons but I'm back at it. Right now I'm taking things a bit slower than I was previously because it seems KaW is going under a bit of a metamorphosis. With the addition of these new PvP challenges, I'm not sure if trackers will be needed in the same way that gave this program purpose.

I'm going to continue development for now but if KaW shifts in a direction that doesn't call for this program I may discontinue. This is because I will not even consider asking for donations for a product that will be rendered obsolete quickly after it's release. Web hosting isn't that expensive but it is one that requires continued monthly payments to keep the program alive.

Thank you for your time,
    Harrian

9. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

bump for visibility :)

10. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Bump for lack of trackers in these indis!

11. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Support to programmers. Join here harrian ;)

12. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

I wish there was a Mac version

13. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Can you put this on the Apple App Market?

14. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Yesssss

15. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Yasssssssss

16. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Hey everyone! I've been made aware that filebeam is having some trouble lately so I've decided to upload a mirror. I'm only going to be uploading the current version.

https://mega.nz/#!GgIjSYRR!lG8USlUOWL-qUt-LRVFlOQJ6BRGQUFW3DdEULEy4rx8

Quick side note: I'm currently spending the next four months in Korea and I did not bring the source code for the original tracking program. I did however bring the web based program with for me to work on however I can't promise any major developments.

17. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Bump by request!

18. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Does no one use pen and paper anymore? :(

19. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

whats paper?

20. Re: Harrian's War Tracking Application Alpha Version 0.1.7

Make it for google play