The case for hybrid build (vs Hitter) for rw

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by AntiCancerDrug, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Let me state categorically that there is no perfect build, really depends on one's style of play. With that said, I would like to put forth a case of the hybrid build which I consider highly optimised for a system war scenario.
    I have been a hybrid for a long time now but the reason I am writing this now is that the T5 launch provided for the first time nice hybrid stats without sacrificing too much. I acknowledge Bellemorte's post on game mechanics and clan-mates Bloody-Eli/MonaLisa who started me on the hybrid path.

The Myth
    The myth is that hybrid is a mish-mash of sorts and good at neither atk nor spy. Many kawers associate hybrids that are 2.43/2.43/1.60/1.60m players (T4BC) capable to carrying out both troop and spy action but good at neither. While that is somewhat true, hybrids as defined by game mechanics mean >25% spy builds, >25% troop builds; the stats is a consequence, not a determining factor. My hybrid build used to be 13 SOS (26%), 36 COE (72%) giving me 3.47/3.47/0.88/0.88m at T4BC which was a not-so-bad rw build.

Why hybrid for RW?
    The key advantage for a hybrid build is its ability to hit opponent hansel and hybrid builds even when there is no gold out and troops not pin.
    These targets are NOT available to hitter build based on current game mechanics. (Hansel is defined by game mechanics to mean >25% spy builds, <25% troop builds, while Hitter mean <25% spy builds, >25% troop builds)

In a non-turtle system war scenario, players are actively clearing gold and hover near pin position.
    [scenario 1] - Hansel with no gold goes off pin due to inactivity; open to other hansels and hybrids only for attack
    [scenario 2] - Hansel is off pin with some gold out; open to all for attack until gold becomes zero; thereafter open to only hansels and hybrids.
    These targets goes dtw on hitter with 1-2 hits because there are little gold out anyway. Hybrids and hansels can attack all the way till their troops are pin.
    These two scenarios allow hybrids and hansels to hit targets not available to hitters. These are juciy targets because hansels have weak def stats so attack success is high.
    These scenarios also beg the question why hybrid and not hansel. The difference comes during the utility of your bottom weak troops (<20%).
    Because an active warrior plays around the pin position, the ability to hit the opponent with your weak troops (<20%) could make the difference.
    -A hansel will clear on other hansels or hitter/hybrids with weak def (relying on the 2 additional pots) but success probability is compromised
    -A hybrid can clear on other hansels with good success probability, or on hitters when there is a need.
    (A hitter can only clear his weak troops on other hitters and that lowers success probability due to higher def stats)

In a best case scenario, a hybrid can function as a mid-level hitter when troop levels are high, and clear bottom troops on hansels when levels are low, particularly when fighting from pin. Best of all, we can hit a wider range of targets not available to hitter. The spy stats are reasonable (not great) and can help spy-pin enemy spies.

why T5 hybrid
    My argument here is that if one build carefully, one can buy the spy builds without compromising the attack stats.
    Consider 13 SOS, 11 COE and 25 colonies at T5BC - that gives 6.94/6.94/0.88/0.88 stats (Hybrid)
    versus 5 Vol, 24 COE, 20 colonies at T5BC - giving 7.02/7.02/0.84/0.84 (hitter)
    Bearing in mind that that the hybrid hit a wider range of targets, would you still pick a hitter build?

Weakness
    The main flaw would be a lower plunder per hit compared to hitter because of the higher number of spy builds. Also in a turtle war scenario, it becomes a stealing game so hansels are much better while hitter/hybrids are not so useful.

This is for an academic discussion for rw-ers and I welcome you to poke holes at my analysis. Caveat: Situation may change when the new mechanics are introduced.

2. Awww I first to read! Great job buddy! My first "comment post" support

3. I really need to re read this tomorrow when my brain is functioning.

But it looks good from what I've seen so far! ;)

4. Interesting

5. "Whoosh" - the sound many people just heard as this went over their head. Too late at night for me to think that deep, so I just nod my head and say "ok".

Also, without high bfa hybrid is open to both sides, not one or the other. So smaller hybrids will have tough time, but big(ger) hybrids have a great time with best of both worlds.

6. For your hybrid examples. They definitely need more spy stats. With the release of T5, 800k spy def will not stop as much as it used to. Even then. For example. I will probably double my spy stats by the time I'm T5HLBC. With that I can terrorize whomever I wish

7. Any thoughts on a spy heavy hybrid?

8. @mad, more bfa is merrier always lol
    @oliver, it's true but it's never going to be enough against a pure spy. Thankfully this is offsetted by the spy stats heavy equipment.
    @gari, technically 11 atk blds (24%) and 38 spy blds (78%) is a hansel. I can't rationalize any advantages of having a spy hybrid which is open to hitter when no gold is out. I would remain within the hansel threshold so at least I'm safe from hitters with no gold out IMO.

9. Hmmm... I need to go over my build again

10. Thx OP, I found this quite helpful. I will probably convert to hybrid once I get bigger but I need as much plunder as possible for the moment

11. Hybrid build has it's merits, but system war is not "real" war. Osw is.

In Osw, hybrids are often succeptable to heavy incoming attacks, that said, the nature of the beast is that they can sit on a spy build 3x their size and regen naturally, while sniping aforementioned inactive hansels from pin.

The greater advantage of a hybrid in osw is that even when stripped, they can maximize damage during strips via a proportional heavier number of spies, thereby earning gold at a faster rate than a "pure" attack build. Once said strip is completed, a hybrid can pin, (often) regen spies, and continue to neutralize a much larger spy and earn gold with relative ease from attacks.

*Note: Hansel, Hybrid, and most "mixed" type builds are recommended for the MOST active of players. If your troops reach max and spies reach 0 in an OSW, you are in VERY deep trouble.*

Just my two cents...

12. Oh nice. No one has noticed my comma splice in paragraph 1. 

13. Hybrids are and where from the start a balance between spy and attack. Or roughly 50/50 spy n attack. Anything less is just a attack build anything more is a modified hansel. Don't try and make builds more confusing then they need to be.

14. Did I confuse anything, A1? :eek:

15. Damn it joe already corrected him :lol: I was going to explain the "real war" problem

16. Not you joe the op

17. non-turtle sw? I think almost all sw become turtles, even if the players involve don't intend that in the first place.

18. You can call the builds whatever you want. The fact remains that game algorithm plays them differently and that necessitate a different classification.
    I would also disagree that that osw is the real war. In fact IMO, osw is a freaking waste of real money. But let's not digress.