Martial Arts

Talk about anything not directly related to the game.

Moderator: Kingdoms at War

Re: Martial Arts

Postby _XxShySniperxX_ on Apr 29 2019, 7:43am

Krav Maga, best for street fights hands down
_XxShySniperxX_

Postby Lonesong on Apr 29 2019, 8:33am

I have mastered the rasengan as well as the shadow-clone jutsu. My skills are rivaled only by the rinnegan.
Lonesong

Postby _Sinan_ on Apr 29 2019, 12:47pm

Farrcodile_dundee wrote:
Kezzer wrote:The reason why karate, judo and aikido seem to be less effective overall is because they are subsections of traditional Japanese jiu jitsu. They branched off to focus on specific areas which is good and bad as you get more focus which means faster results on some areas but less breadth of knowledge and ability.

As someone who studies jiu jitsu and have studied other martial arts, I can say while it is a very effective martial art as it covers striking, locking, throwing, weapons and more.

I would argue that there are many great martial arts out there and which one is the best depends on the situation it is put in. The issue is people who haven't studied different martial arts are talking from a very narrow (and biased) point of view.

I would argue that jiu jitsu is one of the better ones as it is broad in what it can do, however that does come with the need to study it for longer to be truly effective.

Really interesting perspective. I’m personally limited in my time in BJJ having only spent 4 or 5 months training, however I’ve seen very little training regarding striking defence and counters. May just be my Gym doesn’t focus on it, but is there a great focus on that aspect?

BJJ, then boxing, then branch out from there.

As for BJJ. Some schools focus on self defense more than others which focus more on competitive BJJ. Find one that has a focus on street fighting self defense and you will find a focus on takedowns, take down defense, and defense vs striking.
_Sinan_

Postby Farrcodile_dundee on Apr 29 2019, 4:48pm

nerds_play_kaw wrote:
Farrcodile_dundee wrote:
nerds_play_kaw wrote:Mauy thia and Brazilian jui jitsu n kick boxing

That all you need to be a pro fighter

I’d say wrestling is important in that as well. Take downs and takedown defence is essential.

Yes this is true. Take down only help u during take downs. But a fight is like playing speed chess. Which why BJJ. Help out a lot. This catagory can take a life time to master. But if I had to start over BJJ were I'll start.

Question y do u want to learn it?

Martial arts in general was for self defence and anger management reasons, BJJ was more for the artform and technique of it, as well as increasing ground work skills since most of my training in past has been striking based.
Farrcodile_dundee

Postby Farrcodile_dundee on Apr 29 2019, 4:50pm

_XxShySniperxX_ wrote:Krav Maga, best for street fights hands down

I’ve heard a lot about krav but don’t know much, what’s it like to train?

Also thanks Sinan, May be that my gym is more competition based than Street fighting style, might be something I’d need to look at.
Farrcodile_dundee

Postby LoD_--_Caesar_--_LoD on Apr 29 2019, 5:11pm

Russian Sambo because it is more in depth than jiu jutsu and judo and is considered a lethal weapon
LoD_--_Caesar_--_LoD

Postby Farrcodile_dundee on May 1 2019, 2:42pm

LoD_--_Caesar_--_LoD wrote:Russian Sambo because it is more in depth than jiu jutsu and judo and is considered a lethal weapon

I haven’t actually heard of sambo before, I’m assuming it’s more grappling based than striking?
Farrcodile_dundee

Postby _Sinan_ on May 2 2019, 6:16am

Farrcodile_dundee wrote:
_XxShySniperxX_ wrote:Krav Maga, best for street fights hands down

I’ve heard a lot about krav but don’t know much, what’s it like to train?

Also thanks Sinan, May be that my gym is more competition based than Street fighting style, might be something I’d need to look at.

Look for gyms with philosophical similarities to something like Gracie University, Rener and Ryron Gracie. They have a pretty strong self defense focus. They are only one example of many. And they do some pretty entertaining videos on YouTube.

Easy link http://www.gracieuniversity.com
_Sinan_

Postby IlIlIlNIAlHIMlAIHlKlAlHlNlIllI on May 2 2019, 7:09am

Jeet Kune Do - "the way of the intercepting fist" build on the philosophy of Bruce Lee
IlIlIlNIAlHIMlAIHlKlAlHlNlIllI

Postby Kezzer on May 2 2019, 12:34pm

IlIlIlNIAlHIMlAIHlKlAlHlNlIllI wrote:Jeet Kune Do - "the way of the intercepting fist" build on the philosophy of Bruce Lee

I know a few people who do JKD and they like it. It's a more striking based version of Jiu Jitsu from what they have told me. They don't seem to do more traditional style stuff like katana/sword defences. Seems interesting to me and I would definitely give it a go if I had time.

One very important thing I will say here is look for martial arts that have stood the test of time if you can. A lot of newer martial arts are still developing and in a lot of cases are not effective. If you ever see dojos where senior belts have got there in a short period of time (with no previous experience) then don't go there. It's easy to get a black belt online, it's hard to earn one through training. Guess which one there will potentially save your life?
Kezzer

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic