Martial Arts

Talk about anything not directly related to the game.

Moderator: Kingdoms at War

Martial Arts

Postby Farrcodile_dundee on Apr 28 2019, 5:32am

Hey all,

I’ve been training MMA for a little while now, and have spent a little time training a number of different martial arts styles. A few of my friends have differing martial arts backgrounds, yet each maintains their discipline to be the ultimate and superior form. Personally, I have a background in boxing, Muay Thai, a little judo and karate, and recently took up Brazilian jiu jitsu and wrestling.

I was curious to see what you all felt was the best martial art, be it from a streetfight or self defence perspective, or from an angle of discipline and respect. If you were to choose one style to be supreme, what would it be, and why?

My personal favourite from a self defence perspective would be Muay Thai, however I’ve really taken to enjoying BJJ and wrestling in a similar fashion. The more formal styles of karate and judo held a lesser appeal due to the aspects of formality and procedures.
Farrcodile_dundee

Re: Martial Arts

Postby nerds_play_kaw on Apr 28 2019, 5:44am

Mauy thia and Brazilian jui jitsu n kick boxing

That all you need to be a pro fighter
nerds_play_kaw

Postby Farrcodile_dundee on Apr 28 2019, 6:02am

nerds_play_kaw wrote:Mauy thia and Brazilian jui jitsu n kick boxing

That all you need to be a pro fighter

I’d say wrestling is important in that as well. Take downs and takedown defence is essential.
Farrcodile_dundee

Postby SizzleBeef on Apr 28 2019, 6:10am

Boxing and wrestling for mma. If you were a wrestler in high school/college you are just more physical because of how intense it is. Boxing is the best striking martial arts for a street fight situation or mma.
SizzleBeef

Postby RS-roni-RS on Apr 28 2019, 6:33am

Sam tu dang kung fu
RS-roni-RS

Postby Valkyrie-XIII on Apr 28 2019, 6:41am

RS-roni-RS wrote:Sam tu dang kung fu

No. Just no. Gtho.
Valkyrie-XIII

Postby Kezzer on Apr 28 2019, 12:42pm

The reason why karate, judo and aikido seem to be less effective overall is because they are subsections of traditional Japanese jiu jitsu. They branched off to focus on specific areas which is good and bad as you get more focus which means faster results on some areas but less breadth of knowledge and ability.

As someone who studies jiu jitsu and have studied other martial arts, I can say while it is a very effective martial art as it covers striking, locking, throwing, weapons and more.

I would argue that there are many great martial arts out there and which one is the best depends on the situation it is put in. The issue is people who haven't studied different martial arts are talking from a very narrow (and biased) point of view.

I would argue that jiu jitsu is one of the better ones as it is broad in what it can do, however that does come with the need to study it for longer to be truly effective.
Kezzer

Postby __MG_of__WoG___ on Apr 28 2019, 12:55pm

I’ve only done boxing and it’s been super beneficial. From both a physical and mental confidence perspective. However i imagine MMA and or something that also covers being taken down and on the ground would be the most beneficial martial art.
__MG_of__WoG___

Postby NinjaFresh on Apr 28 2019, 1:12pm

Aikido is pretty legit; lots of writs grabs/locks and defensive throws 
NinjaFresh

Postby Farrcodile_dundee on Apr 28 2019, 2:23pm

Kezzer wrote:The reason why karate, judo and aikido seem to be less effective overall is because they are subsections of traditional Japanese jiu jitsu. They branched off to focus on specific areas which is good and bad as you get more focus which means faster results on some areas but less breadth of knowledge and ability.

As someone who studies jiu jitsu and have studied other martial arts, I can say while it is a very effective martial art as it covers striking, locking, throwing, weapons and more.

I would argue that there are many great martial arts out there and which one is the best depends on the situation it is put in. The issue is people who haven't studied different martial arts are talking from a very narrow (and biased) point of view.

I would argue that jiu jitsu is one of the better ones as it is broad in what it can do, however that does come with the need to study it for longer to be truly effective.

Really interesting perspective. I’m personally limited in my time in BJJ having only spent 4 or 5 months training, however I’ve seen very little training regarding striking defence and counters. May just be my Gym doesn’t focus on it, but is there a great focus on that aspect?
Farrcodile_dundee

Next

Return to Off Topic