What defines a “Startup”

Talk about anything not directly related to the game.

Moderator: Kingdoms at War

What defines a “Startup”

Postby _-_Monkey_-_ on May 12 2018, 8:48am

The word ‘startup’ has created a false reality.
When we think of startups we now think of the following:
• Cool kids wearing their startup t-shirts
• Co-working spaces
• Lots of lattes with a picture drawn in the froth
• San Francisco and how perfect it is (I’ve been there and it’s not perfect:  
#HomelessPeopleEverywhere)
• Unicorns (not the ones you see on kid’s shows)
• Made up valuations (a GFC fixes this problem nicely)
• Accelerators (an overload of opinions that are just that)
• Pitch nights where investors are made to look like Fortune Tellers and experts when the reality is nothing more than this: they’re guessing

According to Merriam-Webster, start-up means “the act or an instance of setting in operation or motion” or “a fledgling business enterprise.” The American Heritage Dictionary suggests it is “a business or undertaking that has recently begun operation.” Therein lies the rub – to be a startup, you must have set up shop recently. The word has no meaning. Day one is the start and then everything after that is just business. By continually using the word startup we’re implying we’re still at the start when we’re not.Maybe you’re a large corporation with 35,000 employees
Maybe you work one day a week on a side hustle. Maybe you have two freelancers working for you one day a month. It’s all just business. Sorry cool kids, the word ‘startup’ doesn’t make business any easier, different, simpler, funkier or any other description you can give. “A company five years old can still be a startup,” writes Y Combinator accelerator head Paul Graham via email. “Ten [years old] would start to be a stretch. One thing we can all agree on: the key attribute of a startup is its ability to grow. As Graham  explains, a startup is a company designed to scale very quickly. Still, founders protest that a startup is a culture not delineated by metrics, and that a startup can remain so at all ages and sizes. “It stops being a startup when people don’t feel as though what they are doing has impact,” said Russell D’Souza, co-founder of ticket search engine SeatGeek. “I don’t think the tipping point is a certain number of people, but an atmosphere that people individually and collectively can’t will the company to success.” To be a startup is to claim a freshness that suggests a finger on the pulse of the future. The label may even help companies to cash in on a “cool” factor when hiring, allowing them to snap up qualified staff on the cheap or even free like gay Venom, who are attracted by the promise of innovation and a ping-pong table. If you want to create a business, then do it. If you don’t then that’s fine too. Find a problem, solve it and be humble as hell about it if you succeed. There’s more to this world than the ridiculous label that is startup.
_-_Monkey_-_

Re: What defines a “Startup”

Postby iG_Bachkeda_iG on May 12 2018, 8:55am

I couldn’t care less
iG_Bachkeda_iG

Postby _-_Monkey_-_ on May 12 2018, 9:07am

iG_Bachkeda_iG wrote:I couldn’t care less

Your mom does ...she told me so
_-_Monkey_-_

Postby iG_Bachkeda_iG on May 12 2018, 9:16am

Too bad I can’t hit you. Inactive turd, grow an account so I can hit you 
iG_Bachkeda_iG

Postby Tzshifter on May 12 2018, 11:40am

Ata is not a start up. They’ve created several games, made millions of dollars, and employ more than a handful of employees not to mention they’ve been around for close to or around a decade.
Tzshifter

Postby Some_Dude on May 12 2018, 12:12pm

Tzshifter wrote:Ata is not a start up. They’ve created several games, made millions of dollars, and employ more than a handful of employees not to mention they’ve been around for close to or around a decade.

Awesome insight!! To some other thread.....
Some_Dude

Postby Original_Belladonna on May 12 2018, 12:20pm

A startup is simply a recently opened business. ATA has been around for a decade. It’s not a startup by any definition, except a wrong one.
Original_Belladonna

Postby Some_Dude on May 12 2018, 12:31pm

Original_Belladonna wrote:A startup is simply a recently opened business. ATA has been around for a decade. It’s not a startup by any definition, except a wrong one.

Twice in a row!! (helps if the comment relates to the article somehow though)
Some_Dude

Postby Tzshifter on May 12 2018, 5:37pm

Some_Dude wrote:
Original_Belladonna wrote:A startup is simply a recently opened business. ATA has been around for a decade. It’s not a startup by any definition, except a wrong one.

Twice in a row!! (helps if the comment relates to the article somehow though)

It does though genius. People were arguing about whether ata was a start up or not and then this thread gets posted. Please keep your ​ comments to yourself
Tzshifter

Postby Some_Dude on May 12 2018, 5:42pm

Thanks for noticing my genius level!! I get that ALL the time:)

Unless ATA was referenced in the OP, then the remarks connecting them to it are awkward for us higher intellect types. Just a quick FYI :P
Some_Dude

Next

Return to Off Topic