Proper Etiquette and How To Apply It

Talk about anything not directly related to the game.

Moderator: Kingdoms at War

Re: Proper Etiquette and How To Apply It

Postby Kasama on Apr 28 2018, 6:02pm

IIIX_MrsBeefy_XIII wrote:
xXD3mOnXx wrote:Im not saying kids should be swearing, insulting etc but learning to argue is one of the most important things in modern society. I see a lot of people generalizing every kind of argument to "chest thumping" and " immaturity". No. Sorry, but you'll never get anywhere in life if you can't stand up for your sake and argue about it.

Arguing is one thing and healthy way of resolving any issue! I agree. But to result in name calling and putting someone down is what I'm getting at. Telling someone to hurt themselves or others is not healthy! I'm saying that if you can be above it instead stooping to your attackers level then it's better to be the bigger person. But nonetheless thank you!

Arguing or discussing in a civil manner are different.

Arguing I feel has a negative connotation compared to say... debating or discussing.
Kasama

Postby xXD3mOnXx on Apr 29 2018, 12:54am

Well Kasama, a debate is arguing. Literally. A debate is just the proper word for what many people call an argument. Discussion on the other hand, is not primarily based on opinions or trying to prove your point.
xXD3mOnXx

Postby Kasama on Apr 29 2018, 7:45am

xXD3mOnXx wrote:Well Kasama, a debate is arguing. Literally. A debate is just the proper word for what many people call an argument. Discussion on the other hand, is not primarily based on opinions or trying to prove your point.

I agree with you, a debate is a more appropriate way to say argumeng but depending on where you draw your definition.

It could be considered negatively. Arguments are usually emotion driven, right? You wouldn't refer to two of your family members quarrelling as a debate. You would call it a family argument.

Informal tone and the fact that you wouldn't consider it serious.

A debate has a more serious tone and requires some form of intellectual capability.

Everyone and anyone can argue, not everyone knows how to debate.

Maybe discussion doesn't really fit, my mistake.
Kasama

Postby IIIX_MrsBeefy_XIII on Apr 29 2018, 8:26am

That's also my meaning as well. It's how you decide to carry out the "argument" it's about tact and yes where to draw the line!
IIIX_MrsBeefy_XIII

Postby IIIX_MrsBeefy_XIII on Dec 7 2018, 8:11am

Bumping for what I've read in forums over the last few months. So many need to see that if you can reply to someone that's negative with something positive they have nothing else to go on. If you don't give a Debbie downer a reason to keep the argument/debate going it makes you better person. So many are ready to be ugly to someone to make themselves feel good. I'm not saying you have to be nice to everyone, I'm saying that if feed it then itll keep coming back for more. ;) Thanks again for the idea sizzle!
IIIX_MrsBeefy_XIII

Previous

Return to Off Topic