Proper Etiquette and How To Apply It

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kraftar_Myrkursins, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Credit to sizzlebeef for my "add on" to his MGTD thread.

In the 3rd millennium BC, Ptahhotep wrote The Maxims of Ptahhotep. The Maxims were conformist precepts extolling such civil virtues as truthfulness, self-control and kindness towards one's fellow beings. Learning by listening to everybody and knowing that human knowledge is never perfect are a leitmotif. Avoiding open conflict wherever possible should not be considered weakness. Stress is placed on the pursuit of justice, although it is conceded that it is a god's command that prevails in the end. Some of the maxims refer to one's behaviour when in the presence of the great, how to choose the right master and how to serve him. Others teach the correct way to lead through openness and kindness. Greed is the base of all evil and should be guarded against, while generosity towards family and friends is deemed praiseworthy. -Wikipedia

That being said, I see so much banter and bickering like 9 year old girls. In today's society it is more prevalent to be above the offender than to fuel the fire. Raging males I know it's a chest thumping contest and I know it's the same for females to be the more dominant in the room. But, to give in to the so called haters in front of everyone only makes it worse for others to target you.

For most of the children on this game it's hard because they are still learning to be someone in a world full of "chest bangers" and for them to come on to a game to see a bunch of keyboard warriors only teaches them to be just that. Teaching that it's ok to be bully and to bring someone's personal life to a game and tearing them down for being different or having a difference of opinion from yours.

As an adult and a southerner we were taught at a young age that someone is always watching you, how you act and how you carry yourself and learning from it albeit children or an adult. If you acted like a delinquent and a bully it wasn't just on you it was on who raised you and those who were raised with you! Reflection is key.

Be the light in someone else's darkness. Reflect yourself on others and that's what you get back. Class is the key of life. Be above those who oppose you. Lift someone up instead of tearing them down in any manner of life. Let the kids see that being an adult means you don't have to take anyone's crap if you know how to handle it the right way.

I have seen how the world was/is raised. You can tell the positives from the negatives just by how someone carries themselves and how they talk to another person. So be a positive in a world full of negatives.

Here's to kindness and class. Hoping this thread is as helpful to read as it was to write.

Open to any and all comments and opinions..

2. Im not saying kids should be swearing, insulting etc but learning to argue is one of the most important things in modern society. I see a lot of people generalizing every kind of argument to "chest thumping" and " immaturity". No. Sorry, but you'll never get anywhere in life if you can't stand up for your sake and argue about it.

3. Arguing is one thing and healthy way of resolving any issue! I agree. But to result in name calling and putting someone down is what I'm getting at. Telling someone to hurt themselves or others is not healthy! I'm saying that if you can be above it instead stooping to your attackers level then it's better to be the bigger person. But nonetheless thank you!

4. Very well put indeed..There are still others who were basically reared/raised under these principles. Thankfully.

5. Thank you and yes thank goodness for that lol

6. [​IMG] A great thread with a important message for us all to follow.But when leader's /moderators dont follow these common courtesy's of human decency. Who else is there to have as role models and to look up to for guidance and give us life lessons and advice :- Mr &Mrs Beefy that's who :) Mr & Mrs Beefy for forum King and Queen.Setting the perfect examples for us to follow their lead in their inspirational messages. [​IMG]

7. Lol thanks doll! Love these lil gifs xoxo!

8. roni makes a very good point, lets put that point in context. We are dealing with a world full of children that are being mentored by leaders of our societies that portray predominantly all negative virtue ie greed, sensuality, drug abuse, promiscuity, violence for perssonal gain. If you try to raise a child in a world of pure corruption you will be setting that child up to be constantly victimized!

9. Arguing or discussing in a civil manner are different.

Arguing I feel has a negative connotation compared to say... debating or discussing.

10. Well Kasama, a debate is arguing. Literally. A debate is just the proper word for what many people call an argument. Discussion on the other hand, is not primarily based on opinions or trying to prove your point.

11. I agree with you, a debate is a more appropriate way to say argumeng but depending on where you draw your definition.

It could be considered negatively. Arguments are usually emotion driven, right? You wouldn't refer to two of your family members quarrelling as a debate. You would call it a family argument.

Informal tone and the fact that you wouldn't consider it serious.

A debate has a more serious tone and requires some form of intellectual capability.

Everyone and anyone can argue, not everyone knows how to debate.

Maybe discussion doesn't really fit, my mistake.

12. That's also my meaning as well. It's how you decide to carry out the "argument" it's about tact and yes where to draw the line!

13. Bumping for what I've read in forums over the last few months. So many need to see that if you can reply to someone that's negative with something positive they have nothing else to go on. If you don't give a Debbie downer a reason to keep the argument/debate going it makes you better person. So many are ready to be ugly to someone to make themselves feel good. I'm not saying you have to be nice to everyone, I'm saying that if feed it then itll keep coming back for more. ;) Thanks again for the idea sizzle!