Stephen Hawking, May He RIP

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bluejay, Mar 14, 2018.

1. As most of you probably know the great scientist, Stephen Hawking, passed away yesterday. He is highly regarded as one of the greatest and most intelligent men in history (in the field of science).

While I don’t agree with some of his theories (not scientific, rather religious and social) we can all agree he was one of the best to study astronomy/astrology, chemistry, physics, and other forms of science (mostly theoretical).

He has an interesting story and for those of you who didn’t know I think you’ll find it very interesting. At 21 years old he was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), commonly called Lou Gehrig’s disease. It’s a disease that slowly paralyzes the victim over a set amount of time. Once you develop the disease most people don’t live beyond 5 years of diagnosis and it is an extremely terrible disease. However, the miracle of Stephen Hawking is he lived well beyond his diagnosis. Actually, he lived 53 years longer than doctors had estimated he would live.

Not only did he outlive his projected life expectancy of 23, he also continually contributed to the scientific community! His story shows that no matter what the obstacle we have no true excuse to give up and stop fighting.

May he Rest In Peace <3

Stephen William Hawking; January 8, 1942 - March 14, 2018

2. Dated him he was limp

3. Has anyone tried unplugging him and then plugging him back in again?

4. Stephen hawking.. Astrology? Chemistry? Are you smoking something?

5. Yes, chemistry. Believe it or not the smartest man in recent history studied something besides cosmology. He began his college studies in physics and chemistry.

The astrology comes from his theories concerning the cosmos. Cosmology, of course. But as any semi-intelligent person knows, cosmology has a distinct correlation with Astrology and Astronomy as to understand the cosmos you must first have some form of knowledge of things like Astrolgy and Astrophysics.

But yeah I smoke gas some for the hell of it. However, it doesn’t relate to this thread. ;)

6. As the cheating low life that he was..............no support

7. I thought his theory of cheating on his wife with his carer was the best theory he came up with. “Doesn’t matter how smart you are, cheat on your wife, you’ll get caught”

8. Aren’t you the only active in hog?

9. It’s funnier when I do the jokes Bach, stop trying to derail threads

10. Lmfao this just made my day

11. I studied chemistry too. A lot of people did. It doesnt make it remarkable.
    As far as astrology goes, no. Astrology has NOTHING to do with neither astronomy nor cosmology. Its shameful to suggest a brilliant mind like hawking would pay attention to something as ridiculous as astrology.

12. Should have had a battery backup installed

13. It's such a shame the guy never received a Nobelprize in Physics. But then again Einstein never received one as well, so he's in good company. Apperently mankind isn't really interested in honoring the achievements of their greatest physicians that much... 

14. My favourite statement from Prof.Hawking when asked who he would most like to meet.
    The choice was Isaac Newton or Marilyn Monroe,his choice was Marilyn.

15. Well, Einstein got the Physics Nobel Prize for his theory on the photoelectric effect (and not his relativity theory), which was one big step of quantum mechanics.

Interestingly, Hawkings worked on theories that would unify gravity with quantum mechanics, trying to describe everything in the universe in a coherent manner. He was a theoretical astrophysicist, a cosmologist (study of the universe).
    Certainly not an astrologist, even if he made a few predictions for mankind. More of a philosopher, as many high ranked scientists are.

Not sure why he never got a Nobel Prize, maybe the implications of his theories simply didn't have enough impact on mankind's daily life (yet). Certainly a bit controversial.

RIP

16. Rip Steven Hawkins