Suicide Prevention

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bluejay, Feb 28, 2018.

1. In a society where suicide and depression rates are rising and in light of the recent failure to help those with mental health issues (I,e. Parkland) I’ve taken it upon myself to spread a message of hope to those struggling.

Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255 (calling)
    Crisis Hotline: 741-741 (texting)

If you are in need of immediate help please call or text those numbers. Calling someone from the hotline personally helped me and I’ll explain.

My story:

My battle with depression started when I was 14 years old. Certain events in my life started unfolding and while they’ve made me stronger, at the time they were extremely hard. I lost people I loved, I was having personal issues with my family, my grades were dropping, and I was being bullied very badly at school. A lot of people would say that’s nothing more than the average person, but for me it was a lot. I turned all my focus to baseball as a means of help, and for a year or so it helped. I was an All-State Catcher and I had offers from community colleges and junior colleges as just a sophomore in HS. Then I shattered my thumb and I could no longer properly squeeze with my glove hand, and as a catcher that’s a major deal. So I had to quit. Now I had nothing and nobody. So. I turned to drugs to fill that void. It was the worst mistake of my life, I started to spiral quickly downward to the point where my entire life felt like a black hole. Everything I did ended up ruined or screwed up.

So I decided to make a terrible decision to attempt suicide. It wasn’t easy and as soon as I started the attempt I knew I screwed up, but I couldn’t fix it. I was going to OD. That was my plan. But by some miracle I didn’t die... the thoughts of failure began to flood my mind. How was I so bad at life that I couldn’t even do suicide right? That’s when I realized I NEEDED help. I contacted the hotline and they talked to me and encouraged me and did actually save my life that day. I began to try an surround my negative environment with positive actions and it really gave me a new feeling on life. Sure, everyone was falling apart. But I can control how I respond and I decided that day to try and respond in a positive motion.

That’s just a very brief explanation of what happened to me and I want anyone out there who is struggling with this to know. It can get better if you want it to get better.

Please, call that number if you are struggling. If you don’t feel comfortable talking to someone over the phone, please feel free to message me on here.

If someone you know is going through this please help them. Don’t sit back and let them make a terrible decision.

Thank you guys for listening and always know there is hope. You are worth it.

Much Love <3

2. Much respect to you for having the courage to post your story here. Thanks for sharing it.

3. Things I'd like to add to this:
    • There is no shame in taking meds so you can be yourself.
    • Even when recovering, you are allowed to have bad days. Similarly, if you are doing poorly, you are allowed to have good days even if you generally feel awful.
    • You are not alone. Statistically speaking, a fair number of the people around you are also suffering depression or a similar illness. Most people hide it--but if you reach out, you may find them to be understanding.
    • If nothing else, you can reach out to strangers when you don't feel your problems are "serious" enough for professionals (though any mental health problem really is). Wherever you frequent online, there is likely a supportive subsect. Even just reaching out with a message in a public forum often brings out some of the supportive people.

4. I killed myself once.

Suicide awareness is a great cause. Much respect BJ.

5. This is amazing, I know some people irl that can really use this message, I’ll be sure to spread it to them. Thank you, this doesn’t just help people with suicidal thoughts or depression, it opens up other people’s eyes to the fact that this is a true issue and people really do need the help they deserve.

6. A phone number won’t do a damn thing tbh and help isn’t free. There is no help or prevention. That’s a myth.

7. Try volunteering at a call center sometime. Id recommend it to anyone who is interested in some personal growth.

8. This help stuff is fake. I know first hand. No one cares until it’s too late.

9. You’re born with this problem and can’t pay for help because you aren’t rich you realize that no one cares, humans are replaceable and the world is over populated, no one cares what you are feeling, you’re a hay in a haystack. Not everyone is meant to live. There’s no greener grass on the other side.

I’m not condoning anything just giving my personal two cent.

10. This comment is probably going to get trolled to crap. Oh well. Why does no one ever want to mention god, the bible or church when addressing suicide prevention?
    Believe in god or NOT, really doesnt matter, there is so much inspiration passages in the bible it can help anyone through anything. And don't have support? Join a small local church, those people will actually care about you on a personal level, and you can get good advice and support there. And likely put alot of new good people in your life.

If that's not a reasonable option for anyone for whatever reasons, then get outside and do something, even if you dont feel like it. Get out in the sun and do some physical work, if your unable to do much physical work then get some sun and do something creative, make something look nice, open the windows and paint a room...anything productive you can look at and feel you've accomplished something. Put down them electronics for awhile, stroll through a park, take a walk in the woods, plant some damn flowers....anything, people feel better overall in nature, try it.
    Start exercising if your able..if you cant exercise per se, any simple movement to get your blood pumping is sufficient...physical activity gets them feel good chemicals in your brain pumping. Likewise full spectrum sunlight hitting your retinas primes the brain to release seratonin and other chemicals "dont stare at the sun, just get outside" and in turn it makes your brain release more natural melatonin at night "in darkness", helping you sleep better. Yes your brain produces its own melatonin, its not just an otc supplement sleep aid.

Its not easy climbing out of a hole, but its very doable.

11. The grass on the other side is never greener. That's why you work to make your own grass greener

12. There’s 0 point and 0 drive just 0 everything when you don’t even want the grass

13. There IS ZERO DRIVE when depressed, which is why you have to MAKE yourself. Enough of forcing it and you WILL have drive, and there WILL be a point and you WILL want the grass...and youl want to make it green.
    I suppose fake it till you make it isnt a bad metaphor here...its worth pondering on.

14. Depression is a crappy cycle..a loop..a loop your stuck in. Its breakable

15. The truth ls in both these statements .,,to Princess' point yeah i agree there is no true Altruism in the world thats complete BS. I mean honestly half the suffering in the world could so easily be eradicated if the other half just gave a damn. ....just a little bit.

...but that doesnt make life neccessarily unfair, i mean it generally sucks for everyone except for a very very select few.

Everyone and i mean everyone has their own burden to bear in life ...your damn lucky if you can find anyone that will ever sympathesize with you other then your family. But thats the same for nearly everyone.

So yeah life sucks but it sucks for everyone but ya only got one ya know? ...so do whatever it takes to be happy.

Being happy isnt easy ...its hard work and if you dont work on being happy you never will be and then you sure as hell wont find anyone who sympethesizes with you then.

....so yeah do what triple is saying and get off your ass and go live your life (all of you)

16. Honestly been there done that. There’s always that nagging in the back of your head. There’s always something. I assume it’s why people abuse alcohol and drugs and stuff like that. That’s help we can afford.

17. Are you exercising properly? ...have a healthy BALANCED diet? Your consciousness and mental well being have alot to do with your physical well being. Many people think meds are the only answer, im not saying you think that, but really a large percentage of people who are depressed just have a jacked up diet.

,..alot of depressed vegetarians/vegans are fine again once they introduce animal protein back in their diet

FFS dont drink that just makes it worst stay away from drugs AND meds. Some of the antidepressants are worse or basically the same as street drugs. ...smoke pot in moderation.

18. There is no true help if you don’t have money for a doctor to pump happy pills into you. A shrink is out of any questions. There’s no end to it. The hotline has been around for as long as I’ve been alive probably and what has honestly changed? Nothing. No one else cares because you’re the only one with this problem. A freaky odd one out. There’s no point. And that never changes. No matter how happy and on top of the world you get it doesn’t last forever. It doesn’t get better. I’ve said all I have to say.

19. Like someone can care enough to leave their bed in the morning or eat :roll: