#NetNeutrality

Talk about anything not directly related to the game.

Moderator: Kingdoms at War

#NetNeutrality

Postby IlllIllIlI-PrObLeMaTiC-OwL on Dec 14 2017, 12:52pm

As we all know it was a 3-2 split. The FCC has voted to repeal net neutrality. Although this has happened the fight is not over! This decision will be passed through congress and overturned. #FREEINTERNET
IlllIllIlI-PrObLeMaTiC-OwL

Re: #NetNeutrality

Postby Yogurt on Dec 14 2017, 3:13pm

If it's not too hard for you, could you tell me exactly why you feel this way? Could you explain, in your own words, what your position means to you? Please refrain from using memes and cite your sources, if any.
Yogurt

Postby Kasama on Dec 14 2017, 3:24pm

I concur, you haven't really presented a viewpoint.

You haven't really told us why we should vote against the FCC and maintain net neutrality.

There's no real context behind this thread.

Low effort.
Kasama

Postby _-jimmythegreek on Dec 14 2017, 3:26pm

Hire my ally
_-jimmythegreek

Postby ______-_____IlSN-_l4K__I3l___l on Dec 14 2017, 3:27pm

I’m not from America so I’m unsure if this would affect me. I tried to look into what this actually is but i didn’t understand.

Could someone explain what is this ‘NetNeutrality’ thing is about?
______-_____IlSN-_l4K__I3l___l

Postby YA-_Eagle_-FI on Dec 14 2017, 3:34pm

______-_____IlSN-_l4K__I3l___l wrote:I’m not from America so I’m unsure if this would affect me. I tried to look into what this actually is but i didn’t understand.

For my best understandings I believe you have to pay for cable and for the internet, something what I was told.
YA-_Eagle_-FI

Postby LGBTQIA_Gays-United_LGBTQIA on Dec 14 2017, 3:43pm

YA-_Eagle_-FI wrote:
______-_____IlSN-_l4K__I3l___l wrote:I’m not from America so I’m unsure if this would affect me. I tried to look into what this actually is but i didn’t understand.

For my best understandings I believe you have to pay for cable and for the internet, something what I was told.

?? Your answer makes about as much sense as his statement does ie:ZERO ??
LGBTQIA_Gays-United_LGBTQIA

Postby -SS-Thrawn-SS- on Dec 14 2017, 3:45pm

Net neutrality is the idea that internet service providers (ISPs) have to allow access to all websites equally. So, Comcast can't say "we won't allow our customers to access facebook." Going right with it is that ISPs can't charge more for access to certain sites/features. As is, with net neutrality, you get all sites/features of the internet for x dollars a month. Without net neutrality, ISPs are allowed to do stuff like "it's $5/mo for facebook, twitter, and instagram access, an additional $5/mo for ebay and amazon access, another $10/mo for reddit and imgur and YouTube access, all in addition to your regular monthly service bill of x dollars per month." No net neutrality also means that ISPs can completely block certain sites from being accessed by their customers, like they don't exist. ISPs could also charge companies to be whitelisted and accessible to the ISPs' customers, making it almost impossible for small businesses/websites to be viewed unless they pay big money.

This boils down to "consumers pay more for less, and big corporations earn much much more."

This is as I understand it, there may be details missing or wrong. The FCC's vote is not a final verdict on the matter. It's a sucky public decision, but not final so consumers shouldn't lose hope.
-SS-Thrawn-SS-

Postby LGBTQIA_Gays-United_LGBTQIA on Dec 14 2017, 3:49pm

LGBTQIA_Gays-United_LGBTQIA wrote:
YA-_Eagle_-FI wrote:

?? Your answer makes about as much sense as his statement does ie:ZERO ??

*EDIT ...actually it was a legitimate question. Your answer was garbage

When you go online you have certain expectations. You expect to be connected to whatever website you want. You expect that your cable or phone company isn’t messing with the data and is connecting you to all websites, applications and content you choose. You expect to be in control of your internet experience.

When you use the internet you expect Net Neutrality.

Net Neutrality is the basic principle that prohibits internet service providers like AT&T, Comcast and Verizon from speeding up, slowing down or blocking any content, applications or websites you want to use. Net Neutrality is the way that the internet has always worked.

In 2015, millions of activists pressured the Federal Communications Commission to adopt historic Net Neutrality rules that keep the internet free and open — allowing people to share and access information of their choosing without interference.

Postby LGBTQIA_Gays-United_LGBTQIA on Dec 14 2017, 3:51pm

Not even a funny troll post just plain garbage 

Next

Return to Off Topic