Flying for the 1st time

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -Tristan-, Jul 12, 2017.

1. So it's going to be my first time flying, and I'm pretty nervous about navigating through the airport. I'm flying with Delta airlines and have purchased my tickets.

If anyone here as flown within the US and is willing to answer questions or give me advice, that'd be pretty cool. I don't know if it matters but I'm in my late teens, so I have no idea how to go about this.

1. I will only have one bag, do I still need to check it in?
    2. Where do I get a boarding pass from? Is there anything else that I'll need im advance?
    3. Do I need a passport to fly domestically? Or just my state issued ID?
    4. Regarding toiletries, what are the restrictions?
    5. What do I do since my plane has a lay over? (Stops in GA for 4 hours) Does that mean I need to find the next boarding area?

Just any advice in general will help. Thanks.

2. Pro tip:Don't carry bombs

3. 1. Is it a carry-on bag? If so, you shouldn't need to check it unless they ask you politely so there's space (because too many people brought large carry-ons that can't be stowed under the seat). If it's not carry-on luggage, then you will need to check it.

2. You'll get your boarding pass before security. In fact, I don't think TSA will let you go through the line without a boarding pass. You get your boarding pass at the counter of the airline you're flying with - Delta in this case. This is also where you'd check your bag if it's not carry on - at the Delta counter.

3. You should be ok flying with only a Driver's License (domestically). Some select States' residents require a passport because their Driver's Licenses don't meet federal standards, if I recall correctly. You'll have to do research here, but usually Driver's License is fine.

4. Toiletry restrictions? This is better answered doing a google search on "TSA restricted items" - you should find what you're looking for there.

5. Yes, you'll most-likely be past security when you land in GA, but you'll need to go to the next boarding area before boarding closes. Since you say it's a 4 hour lay over, you should have plenty of time. When you deplane, simply look at the boards for your next flight (compare to the flight number on your boarding pass, since you get all of them when you check in at the Delta counter in this case), and get in that area so you won't be late if you forget the time while you're loitering around. 4 hours should be enough to sit down and eat overpriced food (if there's a decent restaurant behind security) and still have time, though.

4. Your bag will be decided whether it can be a carry-on bag or not by its weight js

5. @XoXoX, the usual restrictions (at least that I've seen) are the measurements of the bag versus the weight, although that can be a factor.

6. I was expecting..
    At first some noob thread about actually flying(am pretty cynical)
    Then actually flying a plane.

Definitely not this...just google it

7. How do you know they are Muslim?

8. I went flying for the first time last year and it was the most nervous I've ever been because I've heard horror stories of people getting lost and then getting stuck in airport for hours. But you should be fine just follow the instructions above and if worst comes to worst there is like a million people at an airport and I'm sure one of them has the answer to any question you can ask. Good luck.

9. Don't yell bombadeer on the plane

10. Solid advice. Thanks

11. Thanks :)

12. If you're dropping a deuce in the airport bathroom & the guy in the stall next to you taps your foot with his foot it's prob best to ignore it.

iPhone

13. Uh... Don't get lost.

You'll end up in places that you're not supposed to be, and unless the airport is well planned out, it'll be a pain to find your way back.

I'm also flying out in 5 days!

14. 1. Bring a fan and point it toward the back of the plane so it goes faster.

2. Avoid having to buckle your seatbelt by wearing a seatbelt as a belt.

3. Tuesday night is usually the cheapest day of the week to fly.

4. Get super high before going to the airport. This will help you be scared the whole time.

5. Wear swim trunks in case of water landing

6. If you guess the pilot’s first name, he has to let you fly the plane for 20 minutes.

7.You’re allowed to bring mini liquor bottles in your carry-on.

8.The emergency exit seats have even more legroom if you open the door and stick your feet
    outside.

9. The air in the cabin isn’t humidified, upping your chances of dehydration, so be sure to drink
    a ton of water during your flight.

10. Sometimes the available seats listed online are not entirely accurate, but you can call the
    airline to ask for a seat specifically.

11. To avoid paying a fee for an additional packed bag, just give the person working the ticket
    counter a real stern look and cough up some blood.

12. If you’re looking for a snack, the second-to-last overhead bin is always filled with loose
    peanut M&M’s.

15. Oh also tell the airline you boutta get married, we did it and got free chocolate and perfume :lol:

16. If you do get lost, confused, or uncertain, ask someone who works there for help. At the very least, they'll point you in the right direction and/or reassure you. At best, they'll walk you to your destination and make sure you know what's going on.

17. Millennials aren't good at following directions

18. Oh ...whatever you do....don't fly United as a rookie ...they will literally beat your ass

19. iPhone

20. 1. I will only have one bag, do I still need to check it in?

This depends on the size of the bag...HxWxD

2. Where do I get a boarding pass from? Is there anything else that I'll need im advance?

You go to the airline desk you're flying and check-in. They will then issue you your boarding pass. There should also be self check-in areas that you can check-in at faster.

3. Do I need a passport to fly domestically? Or just my state issued ID?

You only need your ID, no passport is required.

4. Regarding toiletries, what are the restrictions?

This depends on if you are using carry-on luggage or checking your luggage in. If it's carry on, I believe they need to be in 4oz-8oz bottles. TSA has all the restrictions posted on their website.

5. What do I do since my plane has a lay over? (Stops in GA for 4 hours) Does that mean I need to find the next boarding area?

Most airport boarding areas have cafes, restaurants, shops between terminals that you can browse in. I always like to find my gate and then explore what shops are in the airport. Do not leave the boarding areas. If you do, you will have to go through a TSA check point again.

Some other things to consider is to travel light. This means only carry essential items in your pockets as you'll have to empty your pockets. Wear comfortable shoes that can be easily removed and put back on. Getting through the TSA check point can be annoying and time consuming so get there early. Always keep your bag with you if you have carry on luggage.

There's really not much to it. You have nothing to worry about.