Is the Rap game getting better or worse?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Snoopy, May 30, 2017.

1. Really it's a simple question. I hope and know that KaW has some people who can spit fire or at least read/listen to people spit fire.

(We will never be as good as Static, RIP and SO to my bro, hope he comes back soon)

Anyways, I wanted to see what KaW thought about Rap now. Is it better or worse than when get popular? Which era was your favorite?

I'm sure we have guys who are hardcore and try and listen to a variety of rap and rap eras, or at least I hope so. I have about 15-20 songs of each era in my playlist, but I feel like I have more of the late 90's, early 00's on mine.

My favorite has to be the Eminem and Snoop Dogg era. Not when Snoop was the Doggy Dogg and on with Dr. Dre, but when he changed over to Snoop Dogg. I think that Rap was so much deeper back then. They told stories and shared what they felt. Passion. I'm not knocking present day rappers, I feel like some good ones still exist. I just feel that around '95-'03 or '04 was the best time for rap. Seems like all the legendary and hall of fame rappers were around in that time or were rising up. It was more competitive because literally so many Rap legends were at their peaks of fame.

So which era was your favorite? You think that rap is getting worse?

Heck who's your favorite artists and songs?

Discuss.

:cool:

2. Pffft. I am "Fire".

3. Not a big rap fan, but I'd say it is getting worse. Less powerful lyrics with powerful messages. Yes you've got Kendrick who, I'll admit, has very inspiring and deep messages behind his raps, but I feel like there is less and less of that. The power of rap to hold strong messages and deep emotion is what I respect about it.

Also, I don't believe that the actual lyrics and play on the words is better than what it was before.

4. I'm more of rock and classic rock guy but I used to listen to some back in the days and quite honestly 80-90's rap wins today's crap hands down. Only exception is eminem since the rest seem to all get together to rap about the same stuff. Not to mention the beats now a days all electronic garb compared to when the dj was the man miss hearing a little mix and scratch from them days.

5. Drake>Beatles

6. Exactly. Lyrics don't have the same passion that it did in the 90's IMO. It's slowly downgrading, but I wouldn't say Kendrick is the only one(while being one of the few). I think Future has some good stuff for sure.

So are you more of a Dr. Dre/Snoop Doggy Dogg kind of guy? Or like a MC Hammer/Vanilla Ice? I agree with the garbage auto tune crap, I prefer less auto tune and more raw lyrics/freestyle.

7. The thing is though it's always been them rapping about their lives. They still rap about their lives, it's the rich and famous part of their lives. Where they do drugs, spend money at the strip club and on material things only.

8. Depends. You'll still find rappers that rap w/ good beats and deep lyrics but they make it to the mainstream less and less nowadays. It's not really better or worse, it's just now so saturated that not all the real talent makes it, whereas some rappers can bang out a mediocre song and go mainstream overnight just because it's catchy or it went viral.

9. *beatbox noises*

Once they say that one word I turn it off, it's far too racist for my taste

10. 90's gangsta rap was the best time for rap in my opinion, just like the 80's was the best time for heavy metal, and the 70's was the best time for rock.

11. Wutang clan, dr.dre, snoop, warren G, gangster rap, 2pac, B.I.G, all that beats the lil uzi vert, the mumble rappers.

12. Kendrick Lamar ?

13. Eminem/50 cent era was the best for rap. It's not terrible right now although it's more hip hop/rap/pop combo than just rap like it used to be.

14. True. Not very often do I hear a rap song that's purely that. Rap.

15. There are good artists. Many people tend to ignore them because what gets rapped about isn't what sells. There are three things that sell(in movies or song ) Money, Narcotics and Coidice

I speak for both Hip hop and rap

16. I like Kendrick, and Wiz. That's about it.

17. Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, Kodak black, migos, a boogie with a hoodie, nav, drake, dj Khalid (only one song "im the one"), and others

18. *distant mumble rapping*

19. Depends who you are listening to...

Alot of rap now is just ghetto trash glorifying the hood. But there are artists that are here to inspire..

Logic
    Futuristic
    NF
    Watsky
    Witt Lowry
    Phora
    Spose
    Childish Gambino

All of them are amazing and they dont waste their talent.

20. 3005