R U Ok?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IA-CrazyRuggy, Sep 5, 2016.

1. R U Ok? Day 2018

R U Ok? Day has rolled again and will be on Thursday 13th of September!

I thought I would keep this thread going again for the 3rd year as an extra reminder for people to check in with their loved ones.

R U Ok? Day is a great cause aimed at suicide prevention. A conversation can change a life. Sometimes it’s not always easy to see what people around us are going through and taking the time to chat can make a huge difference.

Although this is a game app, there’s still real people behind the profile so I encourage each and every one of you to ask at least one person how they’re doing!

There’s some more info below for anyone who is interested about the cause :)

R U Ok? Day 2017

R U Ok? Day this year is coming up on Thursday the 14th of September.

This is a thread I made last year and I figured I would bump it again for the day this year. Please take a moment to read the information from last year if you're not familiar with the campaign :)

Try to take the time to check in with those around you. While you don't need a specific day to ask some if they're okay, this serves as a good reminder! You never know what others have going on in their lives and what might seem like a simple question can make a difference.

R U Ok? Day 2016

Hey KaWers,

Today I'd like to introduce a campaign that some of you may or may not have heard of. I'd appreciate it if you took the time to read it properly, otherwise leave and don't bother commenting. This isn't the place for trolls or insensitive comments.

R U Ok is a campaign about suicide prevention. It was founded in 2009 by Australian Gavin Larkin and Janina Nearn. The suicide of Gavin's father in 1995 prompted the creation of the campaign, as he wanted to prevent anyone from having to endure the pain that he did. Their mission is to encourage others to meaningfully connect with others and provide support for the people around them. Their goals include:

R U Ok? Day is on the 8th of September (this coming Thursday) and the aim of the day is to take the time to ask someone you know if they are okay. A seemingly small question might make a big difference to someone. Whether it be someone on KaW, another online app or in person, find the time to connect with them and see how they are doing. They may or may not be struggling but it will be appreciated! People often keep their struggles hidden but having someone to talk to might make the world of difference. :)

I ask again that people keep their responses respectful. Put aside your differences with others and remember we are all humans. Everyone has their own struggles. And remember, ask someone if they're okay. We don't need a specific day or reason to ask but Thursday will be the perfect opportunity. Even if you don't live in Australia, check in with those around you.

Unfortunately Gavin and his son both have lost their lives to cancer however the legacy lives on. More information can be found here https://www.ruok.org.au/home

Thank you for taking the time to read. :)

If you live in Australia and need some help, try these organisations:

Beyond Blue

Call: 1300 22 4636 - open 24/7
    There is also online chat and email links on their website.

SANE

Call: 1800 18 7263 - 9am - 5pm AEST
    Online chat and email services also available.

Lifeline

Call: 13 11 14
    Online chat available.

Kids Helpline

Call: 1800 55 1800 - open 24/7
    Email and online chat services available.

2. Huge respect for this and for you ruggy for bringing it to our attention ️

3. Thank you Unaccountable and Moody! :)

While 7 years old it is still a fairly new campaign and it is really starting to emerge more and more in Australia every year. Through my observations, anyway.

4. Great thread, much support. Lifeline & Beyond blue are a couple of great organisations that provide an ear to talk to in Australia if any1 feels they want to chat & don't feel they know some1 personally to chat to aswell, they've been supporting the prevention of deppression & suicide for a long time & are contactable 24/7.

5. Thank you AGR and Ozze!

I meant to add some other support organisations to the OP but I forgot so I'll do that now. :)

6. Support

7. As someone who has had someone close to me go through severe depression to then try and take their life I support this 100%. I managed to get in contact with the services fast enough to save their life but in many cases it will be too late to save them. Prevention is always the best method so the message here is amazing.

8. Thank you, LMABAO and Kezzer.

I'm sorry to hear your friend went through that Kezzer, and I hope they are doing better now. It is an incredibly tough thing to go through personally and see others go through as well.

If anyone has good helplines for other places around the world, feel free to post on this thread or PM me and I'll add them to the OP. :)

9. Mate ship begins with 4 letters. R U O K

10. I really appreciate and respect you for taking the time to make this, I lost my brother to suicide. Seeing that people do care and take mental health and depression issues serious means alot. Ty

11. Sadly sometimes its just too late...recently a beautiful friend only 22 years young took her life... she has left behind a loving family who are truly broken and countless friends also in a state of complete disbelief. She had so much love around her and none picked it and thats why this issue is so important. Please take the time for your friends and loved ones

12. Exactly, Rikki. You never know what others are going through. Knowing you have people to turn to is just the beginning.

I am very sorry for your losses, Matrix and Bill. I wish more could have been done to help.

I wish there was no need for such campaigns but there is and awareness is important. Mental illness is still stigmatised. Simply because you can't see a physical injury, doesn't mean a person is not hurting.

Remember to check in with your friends and family! Never be afraid to ask if someone is okay. And remember that if you are struggling, there is help out there when you are ready.

13. Full support,keep up the good work

14. Full support.
    I had a friend who took his own life merely one year after graduation. It's a terrible thing to say the least. Worst part is no one from our entire grad class saw it coming, especially not from him as he was always the upbeat personality no matter what.
    Our high school brought in special counsellors to help us, but it felt unreal nonetheless. Still does, and it's been 4 years.
    Asking if someone is ok really can help them open up and may even save their life.

15. I've had many friends and family members deal with depression and suicidal issues. Support to this 100%

Thanks for raising awareness, Ruggy!

16. Nice thread. Support.

17. 100% support :)

18. Nobody should be afraid to let it out when you are asked the question, "Are you OK". Half the issue is, is the same answer over and over, "yes" or "I'm fine" and this is what bottles up over time, and when the bottle pops or explodes everything goes downhill. Half the time this happens because people care to much about what others will think, whether it is "Oh, they're a sook" or "Attention seeker", which doesn't help their mental state at all. So when you are asked next time, don't be scared to let out some emotions, you never know you might just set the example for somebody with a mental health issue and they'll follow suite.