CDC and Ebola....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Run, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So what happened is summarised in short,

Ms Vinson, one of the nurses with Mr Duncan, the Liberian man who brought Ebola iinto North America. Contracted Ebola from Mr Duncan. After realising she had basic symptoms of Ebola(fever) decided to call Center of Disease Control in Atlanta. This was AFTER she went to Cleveland with an airplane.

So, she called CDC and asked 'hey i'm having basic symptoms of ebola, can i catch a flight back to Texas?' They told her she could.

And this was their reasoning.
    Apparently, Ms. Vinson was considered to be an “uncertain risk” since her exposure to Ebola was in a controlled hospital setting, while she wore protective gear. And apparently, when she called the CDC, the staffer there she spoke to, given the uncertain risk and the fact that Ms. Vinson only had a relatively low-grade fever, told her was she not excluded from flying. This is something that Tom Frieden, head of the CDC, addressed with a gigantic understatement when he told the media on Wednesday, “She should not have traveled on a commercial aircraft.” KEYWORD: 'COMMERCIAL'

People will still say that Ms. Vinson ought to have known better. Maybe so. But people, even trained health professionals, trust the experts. And there are few experts better respected than the staff of the CDC. It, along with NASA, has got to be the smartest, best-educated branch of the U.S. government. If someone there says you can get on a plane, I bet 99% of us would get on the plane.

Now the plane has been infected with Ebola all over with the help of Ms Vinson. If anyone touches anything she touched and somehow decided to scratch their eyeballs or something, boom another ebola patient.

This is, to my mind, more terrifying than Ebola itself. The CDC does a credible job managing day-to-day health threats, in the U.S. and all over the world. It watches for unusual illness reports, compiles gigantic quantities of data, and monitors threats as they emerge. It does all this well.

Welp enjoy reading this wall of text, and hope you've been enriched with this news my kaw mates

2. I don't think it was smart for Vinson to take the flight. But I've heard that Ebola only transfers through bodily fluids like spit sweat and blood. So if she didn't sweat and or out her fingers in her mouth and then touch something, it's highly unlikely that she infected the airplane. But it's highly unlikely that she didn't sweat or touch the inside of her mouth or mouth area and then touched something.

3. Yes it does transfer by bodily fluid. Only when there are symptoms i think

4. I keep reading the word "Ebola" everywhere. anyone mind giving a brief explanation of it?

5. Oh cool another Ebola thread. How ******* original and needed.

6. @Jac short summary by Wikipedia.
    Ebola virus disease (EVD), Ebola hemorrhagic fever (EHF) or simply Ebola is a disease of humans and other mammals caused by ebolavirus. Signs and symptoms typically start between two days and three weeks after contracting the virus, with a fever, sore throat, muscle pain and headaches. Then, vomiting, diarrhea and rash usually follows, along with decreased function of the liver and kidneys. Around this time, infected people may begin to bleed both within the body and externally.[1] Death, if it occurs, is typically six to sixteen days after symptoms appear and is often due to low blood pressure from fluid loss.

7. This isn't just an ebola thread. This is showing what the government sector is actually doing in its prevention against ebola. Read before you speak

8. It's regurgitated ******** that's been said before. You could of just commented on one of the hundred other Ebola threads.

9. About 20,000 people in the world have ebola, and this is the least deadly strain their is, its just the media overhyping another thing

10. You are right Dez this isn't just an ebola thread......because it's just ANOTHER ebola thread. Sheesh

11. Bump.....people need to be careful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.