Kingdoms at War Unit Lore

Discussion in 'Fan Creations' started by xAnnabellex, May 30, 2016.

1. Welcome to the Kingdoms at War Unit Lore

Having browsed the forums, I have seen many a great thread addressing the lore of things such as Lands and Epic Battles. However I have yet to come across a comprehensive guide/exploration of the myriad of different unit types within the game. This thread is the culmination of my effort (and hopefully the effort of others) to remedy that situation.

Due to the number of different units currently present in the game, this Lore Guide shall be split into several sections:

Low Lands

High Lands

Hoarfrost

The Abyss

Osman Rai

In the interest of keeping things interesting, several fictitious Lands/Locations have been created:

Low Lands

Kingdom of Necromancers, Xasten

Kingdom of Paladins, Uerth

Kingdom of Desert Tribes, Daernth

Work in Progress

*PS If possible I would like to get screenshots of the units at each respective level where their appearance changes for lands above High Lands. Furthermore if you have any ideas for unit lore which has yet to be done, feel free to PM me.

2. Low Lands

Lowland Attack Units

The battering ram was civilisations first attempt at creating a machine of iron and wood for the sole purpose of causing mayhem. During the period of its initial conception, it became a crucial force in any army, being the main form of assault on an opponents castle. With a ram's head at the front of tree trunk, it served not only to instill fear in the minds of enemies but also to concentrate the full force of the blow on the weakest part of the gate.

The ballista was a revolution in early kingdom warfare, as the first long-ranged siege weapon it became the measure of power in any one kingdoms army. Due to the powerful mechanisms found inside the ballista, it's offensive potential was much higher that its archer counterpart. In fact in the hands of a capable commander, the ballista could prove much more formiddable that the battering ram.

The catapult was the last siege engine produced by the workshop of old, nonetheless its introduction into the world of military warfare created a revolution. No longer was it sufficient to simply build buildings and villages from simple wood or cobblestone, due to the massive range provided by the catapults, one could cause destruction within the castle grounds to civilians without ground troops. This prompted kindgom-wide restructuring of buildings and structures to be more durable against long range attacks. Furthermore the only limit to the potential of a catapult was its size, it had been recorded that in the early days of warring, one nation had created a 300 meter catapult. Such a catapult was capable of throwing a payload of near 600kg, decimating anything in its path.

After the invention of gunpowder, many nations sought to use it with regards to war. The bombard was the first answer to such a question, utilising the gunpowder to propel high density balls of iron, it created a much more efficient albeit expensive option to the aging ballista. The bombard was capable of shooting two iron spheres of diameter 10cm, these sphere were able to dent and in some cases rupture through even the best made iron cuirasses. Naturally wooden gates of kingdoms who had not upgraded their defences stood little chance.

The creation of the disease catapult was shrouded in mystery. First used in the Vienarri War between the Necromancers of Xasten and the Paladins of Uerth, it was a much more brutal form of warfare. The catapult was loaded with corpses, cursed and poisoned by the necromancers, these disease ridden corpses were then flung into densily populated areas, ensuring plague and festering would occur. The result of the Vienarri War was the genocide of civilians of Uerth and the subsequent surrender of the Paladins.

The tower was first introduced by the desert kingdoms of Daernth, this siege construction was the culmination of expert craftsmen in providing a way to introduce ground troops into the heart of the besieged castle. The corners of the tower were made from a reinforced alloy of steel and copper, resulting in increased durability and complete protection from arrows and other projectiles.

The mortar team came about during a search for a more maneuverable siege unit during a quest into the Hoarfrost Moutain Range, although unpassable[at the time] the hidden Dwarven race was discovered. After extensive negotiations the dwarves agreed to impart some of their men and technologies in exchange for food and resources. This mobile siege unit gave increased capabilities for both flanking enemies and entrapment.

The siege tank was a modification on the tower, by creating a faster machine to bring soldiers into battle, the time of sieges themselves were cut down dramatically. The wooden body of the tower was replaced by a heavy and impregnable iron chasse. Multiple shields were mounted on the outside in order to protect from hails of arrows from the castle walls. These shields could then be detached by the troops themselves and used in battle, this reduced the mass of the vehicle thus allowing faster approach towards the castle walls. The two large, sharpened logs acted not only as a deterant to cavalry but also as a weapon against castle gates.

Prior to the appearance of the clockwork demon, goblins were a hidden race, hidding in deep caverns. The first encounter with a clockdemon army occured during the exploration of the Hielthar Caverns at the behest of the dwarves in a search for precious metals. The impeccably crafted automatrons made short work of the small expedition force. After the loss of said troops, the ruler of Nefdral sent several legions of archers and zealots to conquer this technology for himself but it was a failed venture. Several thousand warriors were killed instantly once the goblins caved in the entrance to the Hielthar Cave. Ever since the goblins have lived relatively undisturbed, schemeing and creating all manners of diabolical creations.

After the encounter of Clockwork Demons, many kindgoms sought to recreate this phenomenon for themselves. The first nation to do so was the necromancer kingdom of Xasten, through countless dark magic experiments, the necromancers managed to combine trolls with a myriad of metallic parts and weapons. The resulting creature was emotionally dead and wholly obedient. Furthermore a certain dark magic was cast on every giant, which would induce a sizeable implosion upon it's death. Unable to sense pain, these giants would charge into battle and create devastation, then upon their death both structure and enemy would be completely erased.

The Iron Cannon was a modification upon the outdated Bombard, due to the creation of factories and metal refineries, many kingdoms could now afford to create larger gunpowdered units. However not only was the amount of gunpower increased, the improved steel cannonball was enchanted by magic. This magic increased the piercing power of the ball, allowed manual control of its trajectory by experienced mages and allowed a small detonation of the projectile upon reaching its target.

The last noteworth addition to the siege units of the Lowlands came about in the form of Siege Dragons. After the taming of wild dragons by the dragon-riding nation of Urthmaril, master blacksmiths created the much sought after dragon armor. Made from titanium infused with magical enchantments, the armor made the Dragons immune from mind contol and most projectile weapons. As a last precaution, the blood of the dragons was poisoned with a venom extremely deadly to humans. Thus should a dragon be near death, its rider could slit the dragons underbelly creating a shower of deadly poison to coat their enemies.

Lowland Balanced Units

Animal husbandry brought around the ability to tame horses, as with many technological or societal advances they were adapted for matters of war. This resulted in the creation of a new force within contemporary armies, the cavalry. Being able to move and flank with exceptional ability these warriors were the desire of every military kingdom. Only trustworthy and proven warriors were allowed to become cavalry men.

Heavy cavalry were not distinctly different from their cavalry counterpart but in two factors: experience and durability. The dawn of the Bronze Age saw the rise of armors and metal weapons, the first recorded sighting of armor clad cavalry was within the Vienarri War on the side of the Paladins. Although these cavalry were much tougher and stronger than the lighter cavalry, not much could be done in the face of the merciless Necromancers. With the genocide of any people who could provide resistance after their defeat, the Necromancers made sure that any blacksmiths and military men were disposed of, it would be many years until the world next saw armor clad cavalry.

These elite variations of normal cavalry were seen as the epitomy of strength during the Old Age. With magic-enchanted weapons and armor, Knights were not only masters of battle hardened by years of campaigning, they were also undeniably strategic geniuses. The most notable example of Knights would be the Templar Knights of Uerth, after many decades of oppression by the kingdom of Xasten, the most religious of Knights were imbued with power divine. This power granted them the ability to heal as well as empower their allies, this newfound power allowed the Paladins to repel the kingdom of Xasten and establish its own sovereignty.

The bestiary was a training group almost excluse to the desert tribes of Daernth. Due to the lack of pastures, these village tribes had to scavenge for other ways of creating mounted troops. The bestiary was the training ground for such creatures. The first of which were the great wolves of Tundaria, these perculiar creatures could be found on the border between the snowy Hoarfrost and the barren Daernth. Such a logic defying enviroment was the work of ancient titans, during a long forgotten war between the Dragons and Titan, a cataclysmic event had occured as a result of the Titans mysterious magic.

The White Tigers were the next dangerous animal to be tamed and conquered. These mounts were much more agile and ferocious when compared to their canine counterpart. Due to the coloring of their fur they were much suited to expeditions into the unknown Hoarfrost Mountains, however these creatures had a flaw, they would only allow themselves to be ridden by warrior women who called themselves the Qu'iar. This seemingly minor technicality caused much grief for the rulers of Daernth, so much so that they had to enslave the whole Qu'iar race

The Great War elephants where the only animals indigenous to the barren plains of Daernth. Overshadowing any and all other predators, save mythical beasts, these creatures were the last to be tamed. It was only with the combined strength of both the White Tigers and the Grey Wolves that the bestiary masters managed to tame this beast. Its hide was was found to be much thicker and tougher than the common steel found on the weapons of contemporary infantry. The elephants had also demonstrated a unique resilience to most all magic spells, however the cause for this phenomenon has yet to be discovered.

3. Don't put the spaces between the = sign

There we go. ;)

4. Please tell me if you guys enjoy this kind of thing, because as I'm sure you are aware, the LL has a crazy amount of units. If I get enough support I shall finish this in stages, next goal being balanced buildings on LL

5. You're halfway there.. Please create a towers lore, too. Btw, nice project. ;)
    Support.

6. Yeah, spies and towers will be done as well, if anything I'm more excited for them as instead of 4 different Teirs there are only 2. Plus I can be a bit more flexible with the story as I don't have to follow the appearance of the unit/building.

7. But OP, whaf if i told you i could get you the actual images of the units installed of cropped screenshots?

Yes, i can you these images. Hmu.

8. Drools at the thought...
    Yeah that'd be great, if I get those I'll make a start on the next phase right away :)

9. Well, unfortunately i can't!

Sorry lol. Devs haven't given us any kaw fan packs for awhile. It usually contains unit artwork and all those goodies.

10. Very good read so far sad to see it come to an end๎‘

11. Great thread so far.
    Cannot wait for the rest of it.

On a sad personal note.
    It has only just after 4 years come to my attention that gimli of gloin works for a mortar team.

So much suddenly makes sense now.

12. Updated with 2/4 Teirs of Balanced units

13. ๎€Ž

14. Since saint is now forum banned, i would like to say on this acc thanks for a second part being added another good read!!

15. Here is a lore for u. A dude begs to be in an osw clan. After a week he decides "it takes way too much time", jumps into an hte clan and wastes his time on writing silly thread about ll. TL;DR.