Overview and explanation of crestplate abuse

Official announcements from the makers of Kingdoms at War.

Moderator: Kingdoms at War

Re: Overview and explanation of crestplate abuse

Postby [ATA]Lirael on Jun 28 2019, 10:16am

Moloch_Echo2Charlie wrote:
[ATA]Lirael wrote:
Moloch_Echo2Charlie wrote:When will the Amazon product users get access to said update to restore marketplace function?

We still can't use our traders tokens to buy crestplates or aqua / inferno.

We have already submitted an Amazon build for review. Just a matter of time before it gets approved :)

UPDATE: Build approved and released!

Any idea when Amazon will allow for the update because it's still not available.

Sorry, we don't have any control over when Amazon releases our updates :(
[ATA]Lirael
Game Designer

Postby TheRealDMC-Echo2Charlie on Jun 28 2019, 1:24pm

HT-xxllliiAJtheGREATiilllxx-HT wrote:People acting like this is the first time a dev mistake leads to abuse/exploit and players being punished or banned  quit acting surprised history repeats itself. Very entertaining though seeing people act all surprised about the outcome.

Shows how long theyve actually been playing that they dont remember exploiters usually get banned then stripped down if they are unbanned.
TheRealDMC-Echo2Charlie

Postby Majin_Venom on Jun 29 2019, 8:23am

Wait you mean you did not tell most of us we can now buy crest plates OMG  so I need to update my App
Majin_Venom
2016 ASW Champion

Postby EasternWizard on Jun 29 2019, 11:12am

Malfeasix_The-Holocaust-Daemon wrote:
I wasn’t inconvenienced at all and I’m pretty sure this is a form of communicating. :?
[/quote]

Shut the hell up. Literally, go crawl into a cave and just stay there until you rot.[/quote]

Most KaW users were not inconvenienced or only mildly inconvenienced. A few were inconvenienced in about big way for a few days, but I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts that many of the inconvenienced people have multiple accounts, and maybe spend very little real $$$ on the game.

Anyhow, one never sees such a detailed publicakly disclosed root cause analysis from most software publishers, and I applaud ATA for doing it. Software exploitation situations are a particular emergent case of cyber security, and its almost always boils down to weighing usability against security.

So, on to how it might have been prevented in the first place. The simple answer is “better testing.” But software probability is much more complex than it would seem; it is infeadible to test every mathematical combination of states, so in testing complex algorithms, a weighted scoring method is generally employed, and I’m sure ATA does this. This particular problem falls into the categories of software compatibility and version control, and anybody who has ever written client/server applications knows full well the challenges inherent in anticipating possible adverse component interactions. Trust that ATA has revised their testing protocols. But it’s all a matter of continuous improvement and problems popping up from time to time are inevitable.
EasternWizard

Postby Martiallaw on Jun 29 2019, 3:51pm

Saber wrote:I appreciate the transparency and quick response time. Also, I super appreciate the gift to people who didn't cheat <3
Martiallaw

Postby Rogueseifer on Jun 29 2019, 4:39pm

You got your calculations wrong and gave me nearly 8000 abyss plates I didn’t lose. Sent a ticket and you didn’t take them back

I can assure you I didn’t lose any plates, nor do I want these extra ones
Rogueseifer

Postby illIIlIHOLYIlIIlDOMOIlIlIIi on Jun 30 2019, 4:02am

I still don’t understand how ata implemented an update with a coding error, then called it an exploit and ban accounts that bought crest plates to some how save face
Didn’t something like this happen with a pet ? Did you ban all of kaw ? Working with tos in the grey/loose interpretations lets you pick and choose punishments. It’s shouldn’t be looked at case by case situation. Roll back the accounts that you are handling and give them back. Ppl have paid money to play this game. There are far worse cheats happening that you are letting slide than this coding error.

This being 2019 and how liberal ata is, I think it’s appropriate that ata puts forth a list of the banned accounts for the public to view while you are working to rectify those accounts.
illIIlIHOLYIlIIlDOMOIlIlIIi

Postby -lll_____O2_____llI- on Jun 30 2019, 7:40am

The equation is so simple:

1- STOP spending real money.
2- Post BAD honest reviews.
So ATA employees will learn TO RESPECT us, players who are feeding them when we spend our real money.
Until then ATA has no reason why not taking advantage of our stupidity ;)
-lll_____O2_____llI-

Postby EasternWizard on Jun 30 2019, 8:01am

-lll_____O2_____llI- wrote:The equation is so simple:

1- STOP spending real money.
2- Post BAD honest reviews.
So ATA employees will learn TO RESPECT us, players who are feeding them when we spend our real money.
Until then ATA has no reason why not taking advantage of our stupidity ;)

Exploits are (almost) always caused by a programming deficiency that went undetected during testing. Like the old saying goes, IT happens! Things get detected, fixed, and life goes on.
EasternWizard

Postby WinkMurdered on Jun 30 2019, 9:21am

You guys forgot to take away land unlocks gained from these exploters .. some of then still have upwards of 3-4quad in land unlocks free ...Oof
WinkMurdered

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements