Overview and explanation of crestplate abuse

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by [ATA]Lirael, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Hello KAW! You may or may not be aware of the crestplate exploit that occurred last week. We have been keeping a tight lid on any information while the situation was ongoing, but now that things have been resolved, I thought it would be a good idea to let everyone know what happened.

Last Wednesday, June 19, we released an update to the KAW client that that would allow players to buy crestplates and aqua/inferno bundles for trader's tokens directly from the store, instead of with gold. However, the old client did not support this functionality, and players were able buy crestplates for free.

Soon after, we removed the bundles from the store. Players began to use the crestplates to upgrade, buy buildings, and raze them for gold, so we also turned off the ability to sell buildings to contain the damage that would be done.

Over the past week we have been working hard to deal with the players who used this exploit appropriately by removing any gains illegitimately obtained from their accounts. We've also fixed the issue that caused this to happen, put the bundles back into the store, and have restored the ability to sell buildings. Please note that you must update your KAW client in order to purchase the bundles.

Finally, thank you everyone for your patience while we worked on this. There were several complicated cases and we wanted to make sure to handle everyone on a case by case basis. We would like to show our appreciation for everyone who didn't participate in any of this, so please keep your eyes peeled ... (ノ^ヮ^)ノ*:・゚✧

2. Ty for the update on what happened 

3. Yeah this is cool and all but when are you guys going to put effort into advertising and actually improving the game

4. "Last Wednesday, June 19, we released an update to the KAW client that that would allow players to buy crestplates and aqua/inferno bundles for trader's tokens directly from the store, instead of with gold. However, the old client did not support this functionality, and players were able buy crestplates for free."

Wait, when were we EVER able to buy crestplates and aqua with gold instead of traders tokens??

5. The bundles cost gold to purchase (1000 gold), and then consumed trader tokens after purchase. So if you were at 0 gold, you couldn't buy bundles before, but now you can.

6. What's the situation of the accounts who are still banned?

7. To be honest, should have just rolled back a day instead of banning people. Could've disabled crestplate use and refunded premium purchases.

Nah, let's make it easy and ban everyone who used the exploit and handle it one by one and do things manually.

Do you guys do server backups? This could've been avoided.

8. I have a clan mate who is still locked out of their account. Fairly sure they didn’t even realise there was an exploit. If they are still having issues getting on to their account what is the process for recovery?

9. Banned accounts are being looked at individually and unbanned on a case by case basis. This process is still ongoing.

10. Thank you for the reply. I’m on the verge of losing a 5 yr game relationship because of the lack of clarity on this. I appreciate that you must be working hard on the issue, however could you try to give some sort of timeline.

In a previous ata reply from Winston there seemed to be a number of groups of exploit levels going from easy to fix to very hard. For example could you unlock the set of accounts that were easy to fix followed by the next tier and so on?

Or have you already done this and so we are now only talking about the most difficult to fix?

11. I appreciate the transparency and quick response time. Also, I super appreciate the gift to people who didn't cheat <3

12. Your last question is correct. If there is a particular account you want to know about, please feel free to write into support and we can take a look.

13. Thanks for the update yet again. I’m pleased with how you guys handled this. I just wish someone from ata would take some blame as you all have made it seem that it wasn’t your fault when it was partially your own doing. Plz no terrible compensation

14. So instead of those who not only used and abused the glitch getting punished, all of kaw players lose 24hrs of work? Why should I be punished for not partaking in a glitch? Why would we punish actually new players who have to fight to find T1 clans to make a few billion? ATA handled this properly by locking those affected, and not blanket punishing every player in the game.

15. Thank you for the update! Transparency is super appreciated.

16. When will the Amazon product users get access to said update to restore marketplace function?

We still can't use our traders tokens to buy crestplates or aqua / inferno.

17. Love ot when companies inconvenience everyone else with no cell mmunication because of their screw up

18. 

I wasn’t inconvenienced at all and I’m pretty sure this is a form of communicating. :?