Learn New Things!

Participate in forum games, player events, and more.

Moderator: Kingdoms at War

Re: Learn New Things!

Postby IlTRlI_Engineering_Fail_IlTRlI on Dec 6 2018, 6:39pm

sean893 wrote:Let's bring in a brand new topic to the learning thread! This time, it will be chess! But of course, any other topic is still welcome!



White to move and checkmate in 2

For those who can't see the pieces that were covered by the Photobucket watermark, here are the following pieces's coordinates:

The black bishop is currently in the b2 square, while the white pawn is on the d2 square!

Good luck and happy puzzle solving


1. Qb4+ Qd4
2. Nf2# 1-0
IlTRlI_Engineering_Fail_IlTRlI
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sep 25 2016, 5:56am

Re: Learn New Things!

Postby sean893 on Dec 6 2018, 9:55pm

IlTRlI_Engineering_Fail_IlTRlI wrote:
1. Qb4+ Qd4
2. Nf2# 1-0


Incorrect!

1: Qb4+, d4
2: Nf2+, Kd5.


Black king escapes after d4. Try again!
User avatar
sean893
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Apr 1 2013, 10:16pm

Re: Learn New Things!

Postby IlTRlI_Engineering_Fail_IlTRlI on Dec 6 2018, 10:06pm

sean893 wrote:
IlTRlI_Engineering_Fail_IlTRlI wrote:
1. Qb4+ Qd4
2. Nf2# 1-0



Incorrect!

1: Qb4+, d4
2: Nf2+, Kd5.


Black king escapes after d4. Try again!



Oh, I get it now.

1. Nd4 is the starting move.
If 1. ... Qxb7 then 2. Rg4# 1-0
If 1. ... exd4 then 2. Qxd5# 1-0
If 1. ... Bxd4 then 2. Qb1# 1-0
If 1. ... Qxd4 then 2. Qxa7# 1-0
If 1. ... Kxd4 then... wait, this isn't a mate in 2 puzzle o.o

But I did learn that you need to stop the d4 pawn from moving forward in order to prevent the king from escaping,interesting puzzle indeed
IlTRlI_Engineering_Fail_IlTRlI
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sep 25 2016, 5:56am

Re: Learn New Things!

Postby sean893 on Dec 6 2018, 10:52pm

IlTRlI_Engineering_Fail_IlTRlI wrote:Oh, I get it now.

1. Nd4 is the starting move.
If 1. ... Qxb7 then 2. Rg4# 1-0
If 1. ... exd4 then 2. Qxd5# 1-0
If 1. ... Bxd4 then 2. Qb1# 1-0
If 1. ... Qxd4 then 2. Qxa7# 1-0
If 1. ... Kxd4 then... wait, this isn't a mate in 2 puzzle o.o

But I did learn that you need to stop the d4 pawn from moving forward in order to prevent the king from escaping,interesting puzzle indeed


The first three, Qxb7, exd4 and Bxd4 is correct. You got the checkmate!

However, the 4th notation is
incorrect because 1:....Qxd4, 2: Qa7

4th notation: Black queen captured white's knight, meaning the black queen is not there for white queen to capture it. And Qa7 is not a check. It will be met by
2: Qxa7, losing the white queen and black survives.

The 5th notation, Kxd4...actually can't escape a mate in 2. There is a checkmate on the next move! Look again!

Can you catch the last two escape routes for Black? Or will the king finally escape?
User avatar
sean893
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Apr 1 2013, 10:16pm

Re: Learn New Things!

Postby IlTRlI_Engineering_Fail_IlTRlI on Dec 6 2018, 11:40pm

sean893 wrote:
IlTRlI_Engineering_Fail_IlTRlI wrote:Oh, I get it now.

1. Nd4 is the starting move.
If 1. ... Qxb7 then 2. Rg4# 1-0
If 1. ... exd4 then 2. Qxd5# 1-0
If 1. ... Bxd4 then 2. Qb1# 1-0
If 1. ... Qxd4 then 2. Qxa7# 1-0
If 1. ... Kxd4 then... wait, this isn't a mate in 2 puzzle o.o

But I did learn that you need to stop the d4 pawn from moving forward in order to prevent the king from escaping,interesting puzzle indeed


The first three, Qxb7, exd4 and Bxd4 is correct. You got the checkmate!

However, the 4th notation is
incorrect because 1:....Qxd4, 2: Qa7

4th notation: Black queen captured white's knight, meaning the black queen is not there for white queen to capture it. And Qa7 is not a check. It will be met by
2: Qxa7, losing the white queen and black survives.

The 5th notation, Kxd4...actually can't escape a mate in 2. There is a checkmate on the next move! Look again!

Can you catch the last two escape routes for Black? Or will the king finally escape?



Yeah, I meant Qxh7 will be mate.

Kxd4 is also met with Qb4# 1-0 too

Finally :)
IlTRlI_Engineering_Fail_IlTRlI
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sep 25 2016, 5:56am

Re: Learn New Things!

Postby sean893 on Dec 7 2018, 7:15pm

Good Morning everyone! Happy 8th December 2018! Today's new topic of the day is about a new console Nintendo Switch game named...

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I started playing this game since September 2018, and I can say through all my experiences I have learnt quite a lot from this game!

Aside the fighting mechanics, I learnt from the main storyline of the game is that a young boy (the guy holding the sword) has a critical mission to take a girl named
Pyra to a place called Elysium, where the World Tree is situated!

What really keeps me in the game is not just the many functionalities of the game such as the complex inventory system, shopping and brand new names of items to remember to add to my vocabulary! Like the
Abyss Vest, Infantry Vest, Friendship Ring, Nopon's Hat for example!

You can see that the six people,
Rex, Pyra, Nia, Dromarch, Tora and Poppi (the robot) have become good friends and will stand together in the test of time!

User avatar
sean893
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Apr 1 2013, 10:16pm

Re: Learn New Things!

Postby DeltaForceGM01 on Dec 7 2018, 7:18pm

I have learned how much I hate Physics, each lecture i take makes me hate it more
DeltaForceGM01
 
Posts: 142
Joined: May 31 2018, 6:26am

Re: Learn New Things!

Postby sean893 on Dec 7 2018, 7:20pm

DeltaForceGM01 wrote:I have learned how much I hate Physics, each lecture i take makes me hate it more


Aww, bummer! Why do you hate Physics, DeltaForceGM01? Did you manage to get any takeaways from the lecturer's teaching?
User avatar
sean893
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Apr 1 2013, 10:16pm

Re: Learn New Things!

Postby DeltaForceGM01 on Dec 7 2018, 9:18pm

DeltaForceGM01 wrote:I have learned how much I hate Physics, each lecture i take makes me hate it more


This sums it up:
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRat ... tid=457212
DeltaForceGM01
 
Posts: 142
Joined: May 31 2018, 6:26am

Re: Learn New Things!

Postby illIIlIHOLYIlIIlDOMOIlIlIIi on Dec 8 2018, 3:14am

I’ve learned something.....

It’s called kaw privilege. Let me try to explain in a way that even Sean can understand.
This thread looks very familiar. Looks like it’s the same as
Bella’s thread that was locked. The thread that you can post anything for discussion......anything.....and the thread couldn’t be derailed. It was implied in the title. Mods locked it.
Now Sean starts the same type of thread for random posts of subjects.....anything.....and it’s premise is that it can’t be derailed. Sean’s thread stay unlocked.

Kaw privilege. Sean has kaw privilege. Now you have learned something new. Sean has copied someone else’s thread idea and it is allowed to stay unlocked even while Bella’s past thread was locked for going off topic this thread stays open.
Kaw privilege. Kaw privilege is what mods allow some to have in kaw. It’s privilege to post whatever you want and not get locked. The thread is protected by kaw privilege.

What say you?
illIIlIHOLYIlIIlDOMOIlIlIIi
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Mar 17 2011, 6:59am

PreviousNext

Return to Activities

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests